• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What must a G5 school do in order to get into the playoffs?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boise moved from one G5 to another. They stopped running the table because it’s not possible to run the table every single year. They also haven’t gotten any further ahead in the final rankings than UCF has, and that’s considering all the scheduling and games you just mentioned.

Football is football. This notion it’s more dangerous in one conference as opposed to others is completely asanine.
:ipw:

That's pretty lame. When Boise State was in the WAC it was kind of in a dead period. They had Nevada when Kaep was there, but several years there weren't other ranked teams. When they moved to the MWC there were some better teams. Sucked for them that TCU was only there like one year after they joined, but they brought in others.

The AAC has 2-3 others that can hang around the edge of the top 25. Of course that makes a difference. :L

Crimson Kirk

Posting Intern
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MWC that Boise St moved into would have gotten AQ status in the BCS, but the bigger conferences raided teams like Utah, TCU, West Virginia and such.
I don’t know about that. Those schools weren’t what they are today during the MWC days. A one or two-off season excludes.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not entirely accurate. You say Boise played zero ranked teams in the 2006 regular season, but they actually beat end of year #24 Hawaii and destroyed end of year #22 Oregon State 42-14 (a team that finished one game short of a PAC championship and beat #2 USC). After beating Big 12 champ Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl who was #7 at the time, our final ranking was #5, not 8.

And that 2009 Oregon team that finished 11th that was barely able to muster 8 points against Boise and was manhandled on every level imaginable was pretty damn good by the way. They won the PAC that year. That of course was the year after Boise went to Autzen in 2008 and beat an Oregon team that finished #9. I'd say finishing off the 2009 season by beating a third ranked TCU team who's defense was absolutely retarded was no small feat either.

You say that the MWC is tougher than the WAC and while that's true, it's by a very marginal amount. The problem for us hasn't been the supposed step up in conference, the problem is the squads we've fielded since we moved up outside of the 2011 team (finished #6) couldn't hold a fucking candle to the ones like '06, '08, '09, '10, etc. that played in the WAC. Zero comparison whatsoever. Not even a little bit close.
The MWC looked a lot better when your school headed to it. That's one of the reasons they wanted to go there. It was a lot closer to AQ level than the WAC was. No kidding things have been different with the quality of the team on the field as well. That's been steady since Moore left, but obviously took another dive after Petersen left. There was still enough meat in the conference to have given BSU a bump had they ran the table, particularly the first year there with TCU still in the same conf.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know about that. Those schools weren’t what they are today during the MWC days. A one or two-off season excludes.

AQ status in the BCS era was a formula based on performance. The Big East was on the verge of losing AQ status and the MWC was on the verge of getting it. It would have happened for sure, as it's math based.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf:

Are you suggesting TCU wasn't a top 10 caliber team before they joined a P5? Because you might want to double check that there chief.

Crimson Kirk

Posting Intern
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf:

Are you suggesting TCU wasn't a top 10 caliber team before they joined a P5? Because you might want to double check that there chief.
TCU outgrew their conference and was about to make a bizarre move to the Big East. I remember. I can see the dozen or so legit UCF fans using the TCU example.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is 11-1 with two top 25 wins versus #13 and #15 and a .500 Opponents' win % good enough?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not entirely accurate. You say Boise played zero ranked teams in the 2006 regular season, but they actually beat end of year #24 Hawaii and destroyed end of year #22 Oregon State 42-14 (a team that finished one game short of a PAC championship and beat #2 USC). After beating Big 12 champ Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl who was #7 at the time, our final ranking was #5, not 8.

And that 2009 Oregon team that finished 11th that was barely able to muster 8 points against Boise and was manhandled on every level imaginable was pretty damn good by the way. They won the PAC that year. That of course was the year after Boise went to Autzen in 2008 and beat an Oregon team that finished #9. I'd say finishing off the 2009 season by beating a third ranked TCU team who's defense was absolutely retarded was no small feat either.

You say that the MWC is tougher than the WAC and while that's true, it's by a very marginal amount. The problem for us hasn't been the supposed step up in conference, the problem is the squads we've fielded since we moved up outside of the 2011 team (finished #6) couldn't hold a fucking candle to the ones like '06, '08, '09, '10, etc. that played in the WAC. Zero comparison whatsoever. Not even a little bit close.
And I'm surprised smiles isn't already here crying over all that stuff again. Discussions like this used to be kind of like the bat signal for him. Most of the rest of you weren't really into the full on conspiracy stuff even if you thought some of it might not be entirely fair. That smiles though...

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A G5 school will need to generate a lot of money and interest.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sends lots and lots of hookers and blow to the committee? :noidea:

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP’s question is how what they MUST do, not whether it SHOULD be the case. In any event, it’s already been said that much of it is out of their control. There literally is no set of actions they can take to guarantee anything.

I agree with you, though, that this should not be the case.

Fair enough.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is 11-1 with two top 25 wins versus #13 and #15 and a .500 Opponents' win % good enough?

it depends...if every P5 champ has 2 losses that is a shoo-in. If every P5 champ is unbeaten, best of luck.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the big schools that you want to play will hesitate to schedule UCF if they are too good. Probably important to have those matchups sewn up as early as you can and hope they don't back out. And do it be fore it's noticed, then hope you are as good as advertised and beat a big program one year, and maybe go the rest of the way undefeated.
Yep! If I was the A.D. of a G5 school with CFB Playoff aspirations, I would 100% avoid FCS teams, schedule as many P5 schools that will sign into the future (home, away or neutral) and fill the gaps with home and home vs. other top tier G5 schools. UCF screwed up not accepting the UF 2 for 1 deal. IMO, they are no longer a serious player.