• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do the RAIDERS need

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does PFF have cred?? A simple yes or no will do.. Thank you..

I agree it's not that simple, but I think yes, tempered. The best way to gauge it imo is look at the grades they give players you see all the time.

Ex. Kelvin Beachum...former Steeler LT now signed in JAX...PFF graded him as a "high quality"...IMO that's kinda sorta right...he's very good against avg to decent pass rushers, but elite pass rushers he struggles a little...Suggs from BAL gave him trouble prior to his injury.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just find it funny how you suddenly have changed your tune on PFF.. Hmmm, No biggie though.. They do have Cred though.. So i take it now, that you will never bring them up in a debate again, whether that debate be with me or others.. That's a big lot you casting for a football junkie like myself..

Didn't say I would use them again. Again didn't say they don't have value. I said when I look at what they post and compare it to other stats and see how they compare they can still have value. I just used to use them as my go to stat. I won't be doing that anymore. Others that I think are a lot more comprehensive and are run by people who actually have played and work in football. Like for me I played WR in high school and some in college and there are just certain things I watch for when watching any kind of game on a WR. There were things I was taught about the position that are just as important as having great athleticism. Such as for me the footwork is huge. I am a smaller player for the position so I have to get open with quickness and great footwork to set myself up for a big play. I have to be thinking what I am doing on that 5th step of a play before I take my 1st step trying to figure out how to get that corner leaning the wrong way. I then look at the hands as you can tell somebody who is a natural hand catching WR compared to a body catcher. If they are a body catcher it doesn't matter if they are 6'5". They will have a smaller range because they would rather try to catch the ball with their body than their hands. Then I look at what they are doing when they catch the football. Do they have a little jump whether the ball requires you to jump or not as that will halt some momentum. Do they flinch when they are about to be hit? How are they at adjusting to the football?

In college a lot of those things don't matter if you are a superior athlete but in the pros all those things matter. THat is the position I know best but listening to an OL talk about the different adjustments, hip bender/compared knee bender, different combo blocks, where they hit a player, who they are supposed to block depending on what the defense is doing and if the guy next to him gets confused it can make him look like an idiot for having done his assignment but letting a guy run right by him thinking the guy to his right or left is picking that guy up or thinking the RB has that responsibility when they decided to help out elsewhere. That is why to me PFF while valuable still has some limitations. To me they should hire people who have played the positions at the professional level and have them be the ones making the evaluations. Not some guys who decided to put together a website like this that are more fan than professional.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it's not that simple, but I think yes, tempered. The best way to gauge it imo is look at the grades they give players you see all the time.

Ex. Kelvin Beachum...former Steeler LT now signed in JAX...PFF graded him as a "high quality"...IMO that's kinda sorta right...he's very good against avg to decent pass rushers, but elite pass rushers he struggles a little...Suggs from BAL gave him trouble prior to his injury.
Wow, Beachum signed with the Jags.. I liked Beachum and would of been good had we signed him..
I get what ya saying SteelerFan.. But this is just a little something more than that.. PFF, etc was used against me in past debates, now that i can use them, they suddenly have no Cred, so it just makes me wonder nothing more man.. And i agree with a lot of the takes the fans have on PFF..

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say I would use them again. Again didn't say they don't have value. I said when I look at what they post and compare it to other stats and see how they compare they can still have value. I just used to use them as my go to stat. I won't be doing that anymore. Others that I think are a lot more comprehensive and are run by people who actually have played and work in football. Like for me I played WR in high school and some in college and there are just certain things I watch for when watching any kind of game on a WR. There were things I was taught about the position that are just as important as having great athleticism. Such as for me the footwork is huge. I am a smaller player for the position so I have to get open with quickness and great footwork to set myself up for a big play. I have to be thinking what I am doing on that 5th step of a play before I take my 1st step trying to figure out how to get that corner leaning the wrong way. I then look at the hands as you can tell somebody who is a natural hand catching WR compared to a body catcher. If they are a body catcher it doesn't matter if they are 6'5". They will have a smaller range because they would rather try to catch the ball with their body than their hands. Then I look at what they are doing when they catch the football. Do they have a little jump whether the ball requires you to jump or not as that will halt some momentum. Do they flinch when they are about to be hit? How are they at adjusting to the football?

In college a lot of those things don't matter if you are a superior athlete but in the pros all those things matter. THat is the position I know best but listening to an OL talk about the different adjustments, hip bender/compared knee bender, different combo blocks, where they hit a player, who they are supposed to block depending on what the defense is doing and if the guy next to him gets confused it can make him look like an idiot for having done his assignment but letting a guy run right by him thinking the guy to his right or left is picking that guy up or thinking the RB has that responsibility when they decided to help out elsewhere. That is why to me PFF while valuable still has some limitations. To me they should hire people who have played the positions at the professional level and have them be the ones making the evaluations. Not some guys who decided to put together a website like this that are more fan than professional.
I understand all that cd, but this is just a little deeper than that.. But like i said?? It's no biggie really..
Oh, what kind of 40 did you have??

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand all that cd, but this is just a little deeper than that.. But like i said?? It's no biggie really..
Oh, what kind of 40 did you have??

Well last time it was timed (been a few years and a few pounds ago) I was a 4.52 guy. My nickname was machine gun because I have short legs so when people were running next to me I was usually taking about 2-3 steps to their one and it sounded like a machine gun going down the track.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Beachum signed with the Jags.. I liked Beachum and would of been good had we signed him..
I get what ya saying SteelerFan.. But this is just a little something more than that.. PFF, etc was used against me in past debates, now that i can use them, they suddenly have no Cred, so it just makes me wonder nothing more man.. And i agree with a lot of the takes the fans have on PFF..

Oh...got it...I do look at for players I don't see all the time, but just based on the grades I see them giving Steelers and Falcons for that matter...they are normally close, but most likely they're developing these grades off stats and not really watching them play every game like a fan of that team.

BTW...didn't cap it off with Weddle like I expected, but the Raiders kicked ASS in FA...the AFCW is wide open and if Carr just plays consistent down the stretch this yr, you have to like their chances to win the DIV.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well last time it was timed (been a few years and a few pounds ago) I was a 4.52 guy. My nickname was machine gun because I have short legs so when people were running next to me I was usually taking about 2-3 steps to their one and it sounded like a machine gun going down the track.
4.52!! Blistering man!! Cool nick too.. Machine Gun Cd!! Stomping pavement!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.52!! Blistering man!! Cool nick too.. Machine Gun Cd!! Stomping pavement!!

Like I said that was quite a few pounds ago. Marriage, kid, and a job that requires a lot of sitting do not do wonders for the body. Thankfully coaching season has arrived so I spend my afternoons coaching soccer and golf so I get a nice little break from the office and get in some nice exercise. Just hoping I don't tear my Achilles again this year playing soccer. Been an entire year recovery. Finally just started running again about 3 weeks ago at full speed.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...got it...I do look at for players I don't see all the time, but just based on the grades I see them giving Steelers and Falcons for that matter...they are normally close, but most likely they're developing these grades off stats and not really watching them play every game like a fan of that team.

BTW...didn't cap it off with Weddle like I expected, but the Raiders kicked ASS in FA...the AFCW is wide open and if Carr just plays consistent down the stretch this yr, you have to like their chances to win the DIV.
Just to get off the PFF talk, i agree with all the takes on here concerning them as well.. They have good and bad just like every other site.. Yeah i heard you guys wanted Weddle as well, but the Ravens just outbid everybody for him.. We did just picked up some SS from the Ravens, TraWick or something like that..
Oh and im pleased with the FA haul this year, a very good one.. We have the Defending Champs, as well as the Playoff Chiefs, and the suddenly rebuilding Bolts to play.. But we got them man..

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said that was quite a few pounds ago. Marriage, kid, and a job that requires a lot of sitting do not do wonders for the body. Thankfully coaching season has arrived so I spend my afternoons coaching soccer and golf so I get a nice little break from the office and get in some nice exercise. Just hoping I don't tear my Achilles again this year playing soccer. Been an entire year recovery. Finally just started running again about 3 weeks ago at full speed.
Do i dare say you injury prone?? J/K man.. I hear ya though, you get out there in that grass, and the body just wants to move.. I would take you to school in a game of round Ball cd.. Wink Wink..
And LOL at the few pounds ago!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do i dare say you injury prone?? J/K man.. I hear ya though, you get out there in that grass, and the body just wants to move.. I would take you to school in a game of round Ball cd.. Wink Wink..
And LOL at the few pounds ago!!

Basketball is probably my least favorite sport. Partly cause yeah I suck at it. Football, golf, or soccer though good luck to you.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to get off the PFF talk, i agree with all the takes on here concerning them as well.. They have good and bad just like every other site.. Yeah i heard you guys wanted Weddle as well, but the Ravens just outbid everybody for him.. We did just picked up some SS from the Ravens, TraWick or something like that..
Oh and im pleased with the FA haul this year, a very good one.. We have the Defending Champs, as well as the Playoff Chiefs, and the suddenly rebuilding Bolts to play.. But we got them man..

I would be too...that did put more pressure on the staff, but you have to like expectations to perform at a high level...that's 10 win talent at a minimum.

Weddle...kinda...Colbert really just wanted to find out what his number was since he did say he wanted to play for a contender...Steelers heard the number and never put in an offer....far too rich.

Not really bad, but some strange moves by BAL...let maybe their best OL go (strong bet to go OT at 6 now), yet over paid for a S, and WR in FA.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be too...that did put more pressure on the staff, but you have to like expectations to perform at a high level...that's 10 win talent at a minimum.

Weddle...kinda...Colbert really just wanted to find out what his number was since he did say he wanted to play for a contender...Steelers heard the number and never put in an offer....far too rich.

Not really bad, but some strange moves by BAL...let maybe their best OL go (strong bet to go OT at 6 now), yet over paid for a S, and WR in FA.
Oh i agree on the 10 win talent, and i love the pressure to perform at a higher level.. It will be a dogfight to the bitter end.. The last team standing this year will be BEAT UP!! The Ds in this division are going to knock each other out.. And ya on Weddle, to much bread.. At least you guys get to play him and not us.. LOL..

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball is probably my least favorite sport. Partly cause yeah I suck at it. Football, golf, or soccer though good luck to you.
As long as im all time QB im game for a pickup game.. I will hit you right in the numbers, i always do.. And Golf and Soccer i stink at.. Heck i don't think i ever even played Soccer!!

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta roll.. My shout out of the day?? To the Fine Latina on early morning SC!! And of course the RAIDERS!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as im all time QB im game for a pickup game.. I will hit you right in the numbers, i always do.. And Golf and Soccer i stink at.. Heck i don't think i ever even played Soccer!!

Soccer is honestly becoming my favorite sport to play. I love to run (hence why I loved being WR). Throw in not much to do once you become an adult that allows you to just go full speed. Still trying to convince our community to start an adult league but they seem to think we don't have time.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soccer is honestly becoming my favorite sport to play. I love to run (hence why I loved being WR). Throw in not much to do once you become an adult that allows you to just go full speed. Still trying to convince our community to start an adult league but they seem to think we don't have time.

Play? You guys are still in the athlete mode.

I played basketball in HS and had some small schools offering me scholarships to play 2 guard but I had played organized ball since 6th grade, AAU in the summer, the whole 9...the coach was talking about 5am wake up and 6a practices...I said no thanks, I was mentally burnt out.

Played rec ball in a over 30 league, then over 40...Now, my knees are shot so I don't even bother with rec ball anymore.

Tennis was it when the wife played we were decent mixed doubles team, but golf is it...and I don't mind walking...especially when I come out there to play...you see a lot of walkers in Colo....I will say this about soccer...I've never seen a fat guy that played regularly.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play? You guys are still in the athlete mode.

I played basketball in HS and had some small schools offering me scholarships to play 2 guard but I had played organized ball since 6th grade, AAU in the summer, the whole 9...the coach was talking about 5am wake up and 6a practices...I said no thanks, I was mentally burnt out.

Played rec ball in a over 30 league, then over 40...Now, my knees are shot so I don't even bother with rec ball anymore.

Tennis was it when the wife played we were decent mixed doubles team, but golf is it...and I don't mind walking...especially when I come out there to play...you see a lot of walkers in Colo....I will say this about soccer...I've never seen a fat guy that played regularly.

Well right now I coach both golf and soccer. My wife makes fun of me with soccer because half the time all I want to do is just get out and play with the students on the field. I usually only go about 75% at most with them as don't want to hurt any of our players. Every once in a while though I can get the adults to come on the field and play and that is when I can finally go 100%. You are right though Soccer is not for the out of shape unless you want to play goalie.

For the most part I try to stay in good shape. This past year about killed me having to let my Achilles heal up. My problem was I didn't have the patience to wait for it to heal so usually if it started feeling better I went and did too much setting me back another month. So I am just finally happy that I can get back out and start running again. The bad thing is though that running half a mile is starting to wind me. Have to build back up to be able to run that 7-10 miles a day.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well right now I coach both golf and soccer. My wife makes fun of me with soccer because half the time all I want to do is just get out and play with the students on the field. I usually only go about 75% at most with them as don't want to hurt any of our players. Every once in a while though I can get the adults to come on the field and play and that is when I can finally go 100%. You are right though Soccer is not for the out of shape unless you want to play goalie.

For the most part I try to stay in good shape. This past year about killed me having to let my Achilles heal up. My problem was I didn't have the patience to wait for it to heal so usually if it started feeling better I went and did too much setting me back another month. So I am just finally happy that I can get back out and start running again. The bad thing is though that running half a mile is starting to wind me. Have to build back up to be able to run that 7-10 miles a day.

My knees started aching just reading that!!!

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great offseason so far. Really looking forward to the draft. Raiders are doing well towards filling the gaps keeping them from the playoffs.