• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What BPA may mean for Lions in 2015.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It worked for the Cowboys. I do see your side LP. Would you pass on a potential AP type guy to build it first though? Don't really see a AP guy here, just saying the Lions did it with the franchise QB also... Still not sure how it will turn out? I gotta wait til year 9 I have been told.

A QB's career is usually longer. How effective is a RB without blockers? I'm on board with getting a RB, I just want a competent line too. If we don't fill the holes on the Line with quality players then another RB is pointless to me.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB "Tevin Coleman"

Smitty just might be onto something.... (my disclaimer is that I'm still on-board with O-Line upgrades x2 and early on in the draft)... buttttttttt..... you might be somewhat shocked to know the following about Tevin Coleman....

50 of his 270 carries this past season were 30+ yds.... here's the link
Indiana RB Tevin Coleman says he will enter 2015 NFL Draft - NFL.com

in this link contains the following;
Coleman's explosiveness is a big plus. He has had 16 carries of at least 30 yards (second nationally), 13 of at least 40 (second), nine of at least 50 (tied for national lead), eight of at least 60 (national leader) and four of at least 70 (national leader). His 15 TDs this season covered an average of 41 yards, including a 90-yarder that was the longest run allowed by Ohio State since 1960. In addition, half of his 28 career rushing touchdowns have been for at least 43 yards, incuding eight of at least 64 yards.

Another plus is his receiving ability; he had 25 receptions this season in Indiana's version of the spread and looks to have the skill-set necessary to be a three-down back.

Coleman was one of the best 100-meter sprinters and long-jumpers in Illinois when he was in high school in the Chicago area. He set the Hoosiers' single-season rushing record this season and will be the school's first running back drafted since 1997, when Steve Lee went in the sixth round to the Baltimore Ravens.

Tevin Coleman | Indiana Hoosiers | Stats, Game Logs | NCAA College Football | FOX Sports

all the above doesn't mean he'll definitely succeed in the NFL but those runs along with his vision, speed, patience, awareness, cutback ability.... kind of hard to ignore... not to mention what he did against tOSU and MSU... all the while with mostly backups as QB's

here's the quote on that back-up QB situation in case you glossed over it......

Most impressive might be that he averaged 7.5 yards per carry on a team that had no passing attack because it was forced by injuries to use its third-string quarterback. In essence, Coleman was a one-man offense.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reynolds IMO is a career backup at best. As I said with Ashlee Palmer, competition breeds success. He will never push anyone for a starter spot. There is no Tahir within him. He can become some other teams backup and give me a guy who makes Warford and the LG better.

I think We are sticking with the Tackles we have. We may draft a tackle to play guard though. That would give us some extra depth at both positions. We would be better off with another C/G type lineman though. Maybe both.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noooo one is a beast like suh. Dude is just hitting his prime and it showed, the next four years he will rewrite the record books, lets hope its with detroit.

What record book is he going to re-write? Suh is my favorite player on the Lions, but those are some serious kool-aid comments you are making. Pass me some of that.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smitty just might be onto something.... (my disclaimer is that I'm still on-board with O-Line upgrades x2 and early on in the draft)... buttttttttt..... you might be somewhat shocked to know the following about Tevin Coleman....

Coleman's explosiveness is a big plus. He has had 16 carries of at least 30 yards (second nationally), 13 of at least 40 (second), nine of at least 50 (tied for national lead), eight of at least 60 (national leader) and four of at least 70 (national leader). His 15 TDs this season covered an average of 41 yards, including a 90-yarder that was the longest run allowed by Ohio State since 1960. In addition, half of his 28 career rushing touchdowns have been for at least 43 yards, incuding eight of at least 64 yards.

Another plus is his receiving ability; he had 25 receptions this season in Indiana's version of the spread and looks to have the skill-set necessary to be a three-down back.

Coleman was one of the best 100-meter sprinters and long-jumpers in Illinois when he was in high school in the Chicago area. He set the Hoosiers' single-season rushing record this season and will be the school's first running back drafted since 1997, when Steve Lee went in the sixth round to the Baltimore Ravens.

Tevin Coleman | Indiana Hoosiers | Stats, Game Logs | NCAA College Football | FOX Sports

all the above doesn't mean he'll definitely succeed in the NFL but those runs along with his vision, speed, patience, awareness, cutback ability.... kind of hard to ignore... not to mention what he did against tOSU and MSU... all the while with mostly backups as QB's

Most impressive might be that he averaged 7.5 yards per carry on a team that had no passing attack because it was forced by injuries to use its third-string quarterback. In essence, Coleman was a one-man offense.
He's a horse!!!!

Did what he did, week in week out, against excellent defenses. Everyone and their brother KNEW he was getting the ball. Still couldn't stop him. And judging by the crazzzzy amount of big runs, couldn't contain him either.

Shame he didn't play for a team with a quarterback or a defense. But could work to our advantage, as Gordon and Gurley got the lions share of the pub.

Lots and lots of appealing draft options, at every position. But this kid is my favorite.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh... Mayhew would call him a WR, right along with the rest of the league, mostly because he's a WR, not a TE.

I'm really sorry about Ebron shooting your dog, stealing your high school sweetheart, and then burning your house down, but you've gotta move on at some point...

Funchess was a TE for 2 years at UM. This past year was his 1st as a full time WR, as UM moved him outside because they had other TE's, but lacked any type of threat on the outside.

So while he will be labeled a WR -- he played more TE in college than WR.

And I don't have anything against Ebron -- I just stated the Lions needed a vertical threat that can catch the ball. Maybe you watched a different team than I did -- Did you see a TE that can stretch the field and consistently catch the ball?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funchess is a TE IMO.

Saw him going first round to the Ravens in Mel's early mock. Felt bad for Baltimore.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st round draft a new video camera
2nd round draft a deflated ball

= LIONS SUPER BOWL

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funchess is big bodied but he struggles to create separation, run good routes and let's the ball come into his body all too often. He's a work in progress unless he falls into some teams hands that has a really, really good wr coach... JMHO... he doesn't seem all that fast and finds it difficult to breakaway from defenders.

I'm a huge Michigan fan but I still can carry an unbiased eye when looking at their prospects coming into the league.

OLB Jake Ryan is another prospect that I have reservations about. He's instinctive, reads and reacts pretty good, can be a wreck-less abandon type also, but most of his upside is in his athleticism. He hasn't been the same player since tearing his ACL in spring 2013, IMO. Maybe still adjusting to playing it safe vs. instinctual.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coleman is legit for sure. He and Gurley are easily the two best backs in the draft, in my opinion. If given the choice of any offensive skill player in the draft to add to our offense, Coleman would probably be the guy (Amari Cooper would be the only other guy I'd really consider in that scenario) I'd go with.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Funchess has the bulk or the physicality to play TE in the NFL. He'd have to hit the weight room hard, imo.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Funchess has the bulk or the physicality to play TE in the NFL. He'd have to hit the weight room hard, imo.

It will be interesting to see what he does at the combine. They say he was the most freakish athlete on UM's team, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him post really good numbers at the combine.

I honestly don't even know how to judge him -- he had athletes throwing him passes at UM, not quarterbacks. Dennard and Gardner were horrible throwing the ball.

Someone mentioned something about not getting separation. I don't agree with that -- I thought he ran good routes and even though opponents keyed on him, he still got open. My issues with him were the drops and the mental part of his game. He seemed to get down on himself really quick -- if he dropped a ball early -- it seemed like he'd be dropping more in that game.

Hopefully this is just a joke and we aren't drafting a WR or TE in the 1st round.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He did not seem that fast to me. I will like to see his 40 time. He is not big enough for typical TE, but is he fast enough for WR?

To me seems a tweener but not a hybrid guy either. Interesting to see how and who utilizes in the next level.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pfft...these stud RBs dont always need the best oline. Not saying that would be the case but running the ball is a skill and some players are just flat out better at doing it. Coleman is a perfect example of this at Indiana.

To me, the Lions should try to get the oline and dline in shape before the draft so that way, they can add more to it in the draft or draft more freely.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see what he does at the combine. They say he was the most freakish athlete on UM's team, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him post really good numbers at the combine.

I honestly don't even know how to judge him -- he had athletes throwing him passes at UM, not quarterbacks. Dennard and Gardner were horrible throwing the ball.

Someone mentioned something about not getting separation. I don't agree with that -- I thought he ran good routes and even though opponents keyed on him, he still got open. My issues with him were the drops and the mental part of his game. He seemed to get down on himself really quick -- if he dropped a ball early -- it seemed like he'd be dropping more in that game.

Hopefully this is just a joke and we aren't drafting a WR or TE in the 1st round.

I think his hands are far and away his biggest issue right now.

Overall he's a faster Kalvin Benjamin, it would seem. Tall, big, athletic, dropsies.

As for us drafting a TE or WR in the first, gawd let's hope that's a joke.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did not seem that fast to me. I will like to see his 40 time. He is not big enough for typical TE, but is he fast enough for WR?

To me seems a tweener but not a hybrid guy either. Interesting to see how and who utilizes in the next level.

I think he's faster than he looks because of that long stride. It's like Megatron- he doesn't look like a 4.3 guy when he runs, but once he's up to speed in the open field, nobody is catching him.

I'm betting Funchess hits the 4.4 range at the combine, maybe low 4.5...

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be extremely pissed if they take a WR or TE first round. I'm not too happy about the possibility of a RB, either, but I'm hoping between now and the draft I can prepare myself for that just in case. IMO we need an OG and DT before a RB in the draft.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayxandershey has landed two starting o linemen in round 3 last few years, so fingers crossed they can do it again. If not an O linemen, at least a gem, regardless of position.

Swanson was probably our best pick last year (so far).

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swanson was probably our best pick last year (so far).

That is simply tragic. Everything they told us Ewrong was and what he would create he didn't. I hope next year is different. Same from a healthy Van Not.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think the Lions are stuck with having to pick a certain position early. They dont have to take a lineman early to fix the line. They dont have to take a DT early either but losing Suh does make it more of a priority. They dont have to take a CB. I think the roster is pretty open to welcome almost any position except TE and QB.