• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What BPA may mean for Lions in 2015.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that a game changing RB is needed. I don't know how effective one would be behind that Line though. When healthy and when used properly, Bush was that game changer type back. Health and hands have taken that label away though. I'd prefer to have a Line in place before adding a position like RB that usually comes with a short shelf life.

I hear ya on that.

Assuming Swanson starts at either LG or C, that leaves us with, well, still needing a LG or C. You looking for an upgrade at RT early in the draft too?

By no means am I against drafting lineman. Just going off the idea that high end RBs are actually harder to find late than I used to think they were. Started shifting my mindset somewhere around mid season.

Hoping Lombardiwell scraps their scheme and simplifies things. Line looked a lot better before they took over, and we were looking at basically the same starters. (Had guys miss time this year though.)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wont get him in the second.

Yeah, prolly bot where were at. They'd prolly have to trade up in the second. It's early still, but I don't think he'll be a first rounder. Or the first RB. Gordon had that huge game and swung all the attention his way. Who knows what'll happen happen with the combine though.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear I didn't see your post.

JohnnyCarson_Facebook-630x477.jpg

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you that teams dont want the Lions to ever develop a run game. They're fully aware that the Lions will never win a game running the football, especially late in December. My opinion is that time is running out to put that stud RB on offense with Megatron and the gang. The time is now.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that a game changing RB is needed. I don't know how effective one would be behind that Line though. When healthy and when used properly, Bush was that game changer type back. Health and hands have taken that label away though. I'd prefer to have a Line in place before adding a position like RB that usually comes with a short shelf life.

It worked for the Cowboys. I do see your side LP. Would you pass on a potential AP type guy to build it first though? Don't really see a AP guy here, just saying the Lions did it with the franchise QB also... Still not sure how it will turn out? I gotta wait til year 9 I have been told.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you that teams dont want the Lions to ever develop a run game. They're fully aware that the Lions will never win a game running the football, especially late in December. My opinion is that time is running out to put that stud RB on offense with Megatron and the gang. The time is now.

:clap::clap::clap:

I could not get on board with the Watkins hype from ya. I will surely listen to this until spring, even if it takes six different ways to express it.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
::popsdance::stephena:

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is that time is running out to put that stud RB on offense with Megatron and the gang. The time is now.

Gotta be able to block for him, and we haven't been able to do that for years. Time to start asking if anyone on that line is any good? I'm not sure that replacing Sims and Ravioli is enough to really change that. :noidea:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure its early but I'm positive that our attention has shifted towards what we individually believe this team needs this off-season. I know most can agree about the positions that need to be addressed but I doubt we share the same opinions about how the team should approach acquiring these players through the draft or FA. I have my opinion but Im having a hard time coming up with the right scenario of events that I wish would take place. Assuming the Lions continue the BPA approach, I see tons of possibilities and I'm sure some see trouble looming.

Take a look at the early prospect rankings while considering how it will change through the months. When I do, I tend to anticipate RB, WR and CB as the positions that will emerge and be available as BPA when the Lions are up. This is all speculation of course but I'll go ahead and raise the question that is soon to come:

Do the Lions dare take an offensive player first?

I have to be honest. I really like at least four of the RBs and several WRs that could be there at 23. I really like a CB at that spot too. Its one of those areas where I think the Lions will have to take a player because they wont get him later.

Thoughts?

What I like to do in the offseason like this is make a "big board," so to speak, of my top targets up to whatever spot we're picking at. That way, at least one of the guys I like will still be there when we pick. Now, the team doesn't always draft the guys from my list (because they're idiots :yahoo:), but at least it makes the draft fun seeing how my list whittles down as each pick is made.

Per your questions, I don't see why we wouldn't take an offensive player first? One of our biggest needs is on the o-line.

I would not touch a RB in the 1st round. My thought there is that they have too short of a shelf life, when other positions play twice as long of careers. Basically I'd rather have a 1st round talent at DE or OT contribute for 10 years, vs. a 1st round talent at RB who contributes for 5 years. Injuries also play a big role for me- RBs generally miss more games during the season than a lineman does. Go for the value, imo, and pick a guy who will be on the field more often...

Very deep draft for RBs this year, which is great for us. We have a good shot at seeing RBs with 2nd round grades slipping into the 3rd and 4th rounds.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats fine by me. I'm on board with some new linemen but it shouldn't be hard to get two of them of its a LG and a RT. Do we really need a RT?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Millenhew is an idiot and our first two picks will once again contribute nothing.

Really...........want............to............make...............a..................comment. Must.............resist.........temptation.:suds:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point taken TP. I think the Lions should do like the Pack did and take the RB if there is one worthy, which I'm guessing will be. Those top four RBs or so are pretty damn good. I remember last year when CB was deep and the Lions got stuck with nothing from that group.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be frustrated if they draft a rb or wr with the first pick. Fix the offense? Fix the oline.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be more worried about the contributions of those being called out for lack of contribution, this year rather than last.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about the players available, but by position I want a TE in the first round

Don't laugh. We still need a TE that can stretch the field and catch the ball, so I wouldn't be shocked in the least bit to see another TE drafted. I jokingly said we'd draft Funchess, after we took Ebron last year. I can see Mayhew drafting Funchess and calling him a WR:suds:

Imagine an offense with Ebron, Pettigrew, Fauria, Calvin Johnson, Funchess and Tate. It'd be impossible to defend.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could put god himself in as RB for the lions and it wont help if they dont upgrade their oline. Lions have wasted many years with medicore running games because they will not upgrade their oline. There are only a select few RBS in history that can run with poor blocking and there arent any available in this draft. If the lions want to be a super bowl contender they need to resign suh and build their oline. They have plenty of talent at the skill positions, its the oline and dline that makes teams champions though.