• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What BPA may mean for Lions in 2015.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be extremely pissed if they take a WR or TE first round. I'm not too happy about the possibility of a RB, either, but I'm hoping between now and the draft I can prepare myself for that just in case. IMO we need an OG and DT before a RB in the draft.

:agree:

No WR, TE, or RB in the 1st round for me, thank you very much. I'd much prefer a DT, DE, OT, OG/C, CB or a Safety with that pick. Once round two hits all bets are off. I'd still tend to stay away from a RB in round two, but if one of the best ones is still on the board then we'd have to think long and hard about it...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is simply tragic. Everything they told us Ewrong was and what he would create he didn't. I hope next year is different. Same from a healthy Van Not.

I think Van Noy will make an impact on defense next season. Once he started to get rotated in during the 2nd half of the season he was flying around the field. I think once he's fully up to speed within the defense we'll see why we moved up to get him...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think the Lions are stuck with having to pick a certain position early. They dont have to take a lineman early to fix the line. They dont have to take a DT early either but losing Suh does make it more of a priority. They dont have to take a CB. I think the roster is pretty open to welcome almost any position except TE and QB.

I'd be fine with a TE after the 2nd round. Pettigrew has absolutely fallen off the map. Maybe he'll rebound next year if he doesn't have to be the 6th tackle on every play, but if he doesn't we'll need a 3rd TE to pair with Ebron and Fauria...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coleman is legit for sure. He and Gurley are easily the two best backs in the draft, in my opinion. If given the choice of any offensive skill player in the draft to add to our offense, Coleman would probably be the guy (Amari Cooper would be the only other guy I'd really consider in that scenario) I'd go with.

This should lead up for an interesting debate leading up to the draft. Watched Coleman and Gordon videos last night and thought Gordon was the superior talent. Not because of the gaping holes he ran through but he has great feet, a shifty runner. Reminds me of Joquie Bell but faster top end speed. As for Coleman, I saw him get caught from behind a couple times by players from no name schools and half of his highlights seemed to come against Indiana St. I predict Coleman runs in the high 4.4's at the combine.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with a TE after the 2nd round. Pettigrew has absolutely fallen off the map. Maybe he'll rebound next year if he doesn't have to be the 6th tackle on every play, but if he doesn't we'll need a 3rd TE to pair with Ebron and Fauria...

jim-mora-playoffs.0.jpeg

Tight ends? We talking about tight ends?

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree about PGrew. If they want to run a jumbo package, bring in an actuall 6th lineman like what Reiff would do as a rookie. A tightend that only blocks might as well be a Lineman that is better at.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolling,

Coleman tore up defenses. He was their only real weapon. He tore up Ohio St and Michigan St too. I would take him over Bell any day.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ all the while opponents defenses would stack the box. Starting qb went down early on and then the 2nd string qb did also....

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolling,

Coleman tore up defenses. He was their only real weapon. He tore up Ohio St and Michigan St too. I would take him over Bell any day.

I'd rather have Coleman and Bell. I like Bell, but I think he's better suited to be part of a backfield time share than he is to be a lead back. I think that about most RBs, though- keeps the punishment, miles, and injuries down and makes careers longer...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe there is exists a lot of frustration from past drafted rb's and their short life span on the Lions roster (i.e. injuries/K. Jones-K. Smith-J. Best-M. LeShoure and yes, the miss/Artose Pinner- Brian Calhoun) therefore automatically many don't want to venture into the rb pool that early. IDK

Bush's injuries this year and that cap hit might very well make him expendable.

I read one of Tim Twentyman's articles and he had stated that the coaching staff didn't fully trust Riddick as a rb, yet

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made a noteworthy statement. Average RBs don't do what he did in that situation.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed TP but I'm not sure why people are so passive on the RB position these days like a really good one would make a difference. I think they have tremendous value in the league still regardless of shelf-life. How many teams have good RBs? Not many and Detroit has two capable guys but nobody that forces the defense to care much. Thats old if you ask me.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe there is exists a lot of frustration from past drafted rb's and their short life span on the Lions roster (i.e. injuries/K. Jones-K. Smith-J. Best-M. LeShoure and yes, the miss/Artose Pinner- Brian Calhoun) therefore automatically many don't want to venture into the rb pool that early. IDK

Bush's injuries this year and that cap hit might very well make him expendable.

I read one of Tim Twentyman's articles and he had stated that the coaching staff didn't fully trust Riddick as a rb, yet

For me it's not our particular RBs at all- it's just a position that, in general, has a short shelf life. I think that's why we're seeing less and less RBs go in the 1st round with each passing year...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed TP but I'm not sure why people are so passive on the RB position these days like a really good one would make a difference. I think they have tremendous value in the league still regardless of shelf-life. How many teams have good RBs? Not many and Detroit has two capable guys but nobody that forces the defense to care much. Thats old if you ask me.

I think it's because, at least in my opinion, that a successful running game in the NFL has more to do with the o-line than the RB.

Imo, there are only a handful of special RBs, but there's lots of "good" RBs that will succeed behind a stud o-line. I don't think DeMarco Murray is special, but look what he did behind that Dallas line...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The shelf life of a RB is prolly rising. More passing and RB by committee has to be impacting that.

I would say if you gave me a RB with only a six year life that makes teams respect the run why CJ is still CJ. I would take the next six years of offensive production.

Now, does it have it to be first pick guy? No, but we also see what a UDFA and 6th period rounder gets us.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from espn

Just six teams spent more than $10 million on their entire running back group in 2014, according to ESPN Stats & Information, with only 13 exceeding the average of $6.87 million for the position. Compare that to the NFL average for the quarterbacks ($11.807 million) and wide receivers ($12.401 million), and the financial impact of the league's well-documented shift toward the passing game becomes obvious.

There are few true featured running backs in the league these days, and a large number of the rookies in this year's draft class could be preparing for time-share roles after careers where they've been a key piece of their offenses. But it's worth noting that six of the top 11 rushing teams in the NFL made the playoffs in 2014. That list also includes the 10-6 Eagles, the 9-7 Chiefs and the 9-7 Texans, who all narrowly missed playoff spots.

BB_72... and this coming year we'll almost hit that 10 MM mark if Bush stays
Bush cap hit..... 5.277M
Bell cap hit....... 3.500M
Riddick cap hit......607K
Winn cap hit.........510K

Senior Bowl position spotlight: Deep RB class tries to find a market - ESPN

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When "deep" classifies a group in any draft, my thoughts are that the players at the top of that list are very good because they lead the group and the guys after them present "some" value and a decent shot for teams to aquire one. I want the best out of the group rather than to take a chance to see what happens later in those cases.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ I agree whole-heartedly, LionsTop1.... after you get past Gordon, Coleman, maybe Abdullah, I think there exists a drop-down effect for the rest... this year at least

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my interpretation of deep class from the pundits = a lot of prospects available for the draft, not necessarily very good quality "as a whole group"

Last edited by a moderator:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why we are discussing RB and OL.

Jason Fox, Corey Hilliard, and Rodney Austin are healthy. They will plow the road for Montell Owens on his way to a 1,000 yard seasonn. No doubt Broyles out produces Ebron also...

Yes, I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue.