• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What an amazing free agency year LBJ to Love

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit after looking at the stats - Irving-Love-Lebron is a nice big three on paper - we jus have to see what Cleveland puts together with them from 1 to 12.

1. LeBron- best player in the game hands down
2. Love- probably the games best rebounder, easily the games best big man shooter and passer
3. Kyrie- one of the games best ball handlers, clutch shooters, -so hard to guard because you cannot play him to drive since he will knock down shots from the outside and you cant play him to shoot because he will attack and finish at the rim- its why he is so good in end-of-game situations- its a pick-your-poison
4. Anderson Varejao- has had injury problems- mostly in my opinion because he was being relied on to be the teams 2nd best player and played too many minutes- can go back to being one of the best passing big men, a a great basketball IQ, an elite offensive rebounder and one of the games best pick and roll defending bigs
5. Dion Waiters- 3rd year player chosen for the US Select team- great spot up shooter, has the athleticism to be a very solid defender, can get to the rim at awill
6. Tristan Thompson- going into his 4th year almost averaged a double double each of the last 2 seasons- cleans up the defensive glass and has become a decent foul shooter- needs to work on his D-
7. Shawn Marion- for vet. min? great signing- becomes the backup small forward and can play some small ball 4- will spell LeBron on D, can shoot the 3- basically a better version of what Battier was for Lebron in Miami
8. Mike Miller- LeBron's boy who still has one of the best outside strokes in the game
9. Matt Delledova- backup pg- very scrappy and effective defender- impressed last year as a rook and should play 15 or so minutes a night and hold his own
10. Brenda Haywood- backup center- didnt play last year, who knows what we will get from him
11/12 Harris/Powell-The Rooks- Harris was drafted as a 3 and D guy-SG shot over 40% from 3 in college and had a reputation as a good defender- Powell is a big man from Stanford that put up very solid numbers and will get a chance here or there in blowouts to try and prove he deserves more of a look
13. James Jones- will mostly sit the bench but will be called upon situationally to spread the floor and knockdown a triple

Who is next? the Cavs have one more move up their sleaves with those Jazz voidable contracts......and Ray Allen still might decide to play here (though i think he stays in Miami)....My prediction is the Cavs use the Jazz contracts and the Memphis pick they own to get either backcourt player with size or a center that can guard the rim....(this is before they use the Haywood contract next year to get Hibbert or Sanders...just kidding...well...not really.. if not one of those guys someone like him...Javale Mcgee is a guy to watch as well)

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. LeBron- best player in the game hands down
2. Love- probably the games best rebounder, easily the games best big man shooter and passer
3. Kyrie- one of the games best ball handlers, clutch shooters, -so hard to guard because you cannot play him to drive since he will knock down shots from the outside and you cant play him to shoot because he will attack and finish at the rim- its why he is so good in end-of-game situations- its a pick-your-poison
4. Anderson Varejao- has had injury problems- mostly in my opinion because he was being relied on to be the teams 2nd best player and played too many minutes- can go back to being one of the best passing big men, a a great basketball IQ, an elite offensive rebounder and one of the games best pick and roll defending bigs
5. Dion Waiters- 3rd year player chosen for the US Select team- great spot up shooter, has the athleticism to be a very solid defender, can get to the rim at awill
6. Tristan Thompson- going into his 4th year almost averaged a double double each of the last 2 seasons- cleans up the defensive glass and has become a decent foul shooter- needs to work on his D-
7. Shawn Marion- for vet. min? great signing- becomes the backup small forward and can play some small ball 4- will spell LeBron on D, can shoot the 3- basically a better version of what Battier was for Lebron in Miami
8. Mike Miller- LeBron's boy who still has one of the best outside strokes in the game
9. Matt Delledova- backup pg- very scrappy and effective defender- impressed last year as a rook and should play 15 or so minutes a night and hold his own
10. Brenda Haywood- backup center- didnt play last year, who knows what we will get from him
11/12 Harris/Powell-The Rooks- Harris was drafted as a 3 and D guy-SG shot over 40% from 3 in college and had a reputation as a good defender- Powell is a big man from Stanford that put up very solid numbers and will get a chance here or there in blowouts to try and prove he deserves more of a look
13. James Jones- will mostly sit the bench but will be called upon situationally to spread the floor and knockdown a triple
Who is next? the Cavs have one more move up their sleaves with those Jazz voidable contracts......and Ray Allen still might decide to play here (though i think he stays in Miami)....My prediction is the Cavs use the Jazz contracts and the Memphis pick they own to get either backcourt player with size or a center that can guard the rim....(this is before they use the Haywood contract next year to get Hibbert or Sanders...just kidding...well...not really.. if not one of those guys someone like him...Javale Mcgee is a guy to watch as well)

I'll say the same thing I've said all along, put James on the vast majority of rosters in the league and what he brings with him and you'll be a contender.

The Heat's identity when they were real good was because they were able to crank up their defense.

You mentioned defense with Marion and Delledova. Obviously James can defend.

You very well might look like the Denver Broncos during the regular season, but you'll probably run into the Seattle Seahawks during the playoffs.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turnup, I really think this is a deeper team than the Heat were. The roles are clear and with Varajo and Love u have the perfect big man duo

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turnup, I really think this is a deeper team than the Heat were. The roles are clear and with Varajo and Love u have the perfect big man duo

There's no arguing that. On the offensive side, Cleveland looks to be rather formidable as I don't see scoring being a problem. But what he's talking about is defense which has proven to be the bench mark of most title teams.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no arguing that. On the offensive side, Cleveland looks to be rather formidable as I don't see scoring being a problem. But what he's talking about is defense which has proven to be the bench mark of most title teams.

saying that the you "don't see scoring being a problem" for the Cavs is like saying I don't see picking up the check for dinner being a problem for Warren Buffet

Varejao is very smart player and cuts to the basket and sets good picks- playing with Love and his interior passing ability- Varejao is going to get some sneaky wide-open baskets on back cuts and off picks

really- the Cavs offense is going to be just crazy to watch- it will be a lot of fun....no one can tell me that they aren't excited to see what it looks like with Love, LeBron, Kyrie, Varejao, Waiters on the floor- if you are a real basketball fan

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say the same thing I've said all along, put James on the vast majority of rosters in the league and what he brings with him and you'll be a contender.

The Heat's identity when they were real good was because they were able to crank up their defense.

You mentioned defense with Marion and Delledova. Obviously James can defend.

You very well might look like the Denver Broncos during the regular season, but you'll probably run into the Seattle Seahawks during the playoffs.

Anyone who says Shawn Marion can play defense - is a person that should be evaluated in the psychiatric ward. LeBron James plays defense, but Kevin Love? Varejo?, Marion? Irving? - Quite frankly I don't think this Cleveland team is as good as what Miami had and Miami won only two in the last four years. That's not bad though. That was good, but it remains to be seen

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who says Shawn Marion can play defense - is a person that should be evaluated in the psychiatric ward. LeBron James plays defense, but Kevin Love? Varejo?, Marion? Irving? - Quite frankly I don't think this Cleveland team is as good as what Miami had and Miami won only two in the last four years. That's not bad though. That was good, but it remains to be seen

Huh? :scratch:

And again...huh?

I get that the Cavs fans are annoying. But, sometimes it seems like posters are disagreeing with them, just for the sake of disagreeing.

I honestly had to look back and make sure I wasn't on the " make shit up thread".

I mean no disrespect. But, either you are hating or you haven't seen this guy play over the last....DECADE.

Since the hand-checking rule was implemented in 2004-05 Marion ranks No. 57 in win shares per 48 minutes (.144) and has a career PER average of 19, giving Cleveland two of the top 16 guard-forwards in PER on the same roster since 2000.

Modest and team-oriented, Marion’s highlight footage rarely garners attention, but it’s his versatility and chief role in numerous defensive bastions over the years that are worthy of acclaim.

His career defensive rating average is 101, and since 2000 his defensive rebound percentage is 25.4 percent–19th-best among guards and forwards. He averages 6.5 career defensive rebounds per game and has averaged double-doubles four different seasons. This should greatly benefit a team that ranked no. 14 in the NBA in allowed rebounds per game (42.5) a season ago.

More than anything, though, Marion is a brainy defender. Some are labeled enforcers in the league but that term often comes with a high volume of fouls— whether lazy or deliberate—affixed. Since 2008, Marion hasn’t averaged more than two per game in a season, allowing him to average 37.7 minutes per game in that same frame. This brings up something else unusual about Marion: where other’s his age–36–have digressed, Marion has managed to stay healthy and hasn’t played in less than 63 games in a season since his rookie year.

Pairing Shawn Marion, LeBron James gives the Cavs the NBA?s best small forward tandem - The Washington Post

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but I'm just not sold on Shawn Marion, yes he is a good offensive player. Maron had a great chance when the Phoenix Suns collapsed against the Spurs one year and the Lakers a year or two later and he has never been as good since and he was 10 ppg, 6 rpg last season with no defense. I don't hate the guy, but he is not going to help you win championships. On the other hand if you can pick up cheap, he is 36 years old - bring him off the bench and play him some minutes

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Best case 60 wins
Worst case 50 wins
Probably somewhere in the middle.

None of it really matters.

If they don't win 16 playoff games, the season is a failure.
Same standard applies there as it did here.

If they hadn't made the Love trade, I would cut him some slack for a year or 2.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im with you Turnup. Now with Love AND someone good who is playing the BIG (Varajo) as the defensive role this team should roll.

I suspect the Cavs fans are ready, as the expectations of what an acceptable season will be is pretty much a ring.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best case 60 wins
Worst case 50 wins
Probably somewhere in the middle.

None of it really matters.

If they don't win 16 playoff games, the season is a failure.
Same standard applies there as it did here.

If they hadn't made the Love trade, I would cut him some slack for a year or 2.

This seems reasonable and fair to me.

The only thing I'd add is that a lot of teams fail every year. It happens more often than it doesn't to every single team. It is not possible for everyone's "successful season" criteria to pan out. I'd say you probably have about 10 teams that hit their success and 20 teams that consider their outcome failure every year.

So, while, I agree that it should be a title-or-bust season for the Cavs... its still more likely that they bust than win the title. 20% odds on the Cavs winning the title is probably even a bit high.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon for me is well over 50%. I cant see the East being that difficult, and its the Spurs and ...Thunder or Clips?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on who they play.

They have a less than 5% of beating the Spurs.

Coach Popovich could not have drawn up a better opponent for the Spurs in the Finals.
The Bulls will be a nightmarish matchup for the Spurs. I would give the Bulls a 70-30 edge.

But the Cavs should make it a solid 3-1 Duncan over Lebron and his miracle game 6.
The Spurs will be licking their chops to play this roster.

Everything SA does well attacks a glaring weakness of that squad.
Cleveland fans better become big time Thunder or Rockets fans in the West.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is so hard to repeat and get out of the West, plus SA was healthy pretty much last got contributions from everyone. It was a perfect postseason for them, we will have to see how the season goes, the Spurs aren't getting any younger.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im with you Turnup. Now with Love AND someone good who is playing the BIG (Varajo) as the defensive role this team should roll.

I suspect the Cavs fans are ready, as the expectations of what an acceptable season will be is pretty much a ring.

* Some* Cavs fans, on this site, are unrealistic in their expectations.

There is no way they win 61 games in their first Season together.

But, I think they walk into the ECF with very little resistance.

I'm just not sure they can beat the Spurs and the New Bulls won't be a cake walk either.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey Horn, I will take those odds. I think you got a little carried away but its ok:suds:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They match up horribly on paper with SA.

Everything the SPURS do well are huge weaknesses of that roster.

I am not some blind homer. I am not sure the Spurs can beat Chicago. I would probably bet against that matchup. Chicago does all the things that frustrate the Spurs.

But as a potential finals opponent, the SPURS versus this Cavs Roster as assembled is a dream matchup for Popovich.

The SPURS might not make it as the West is a bloodbath.
The SPURS could easily lose to the Thunder without homecourt...or the Mavs/Rockets anywhere.

But, I stand by my 5% or less chance (if both rosters are healthy).

SA is a terrible matchup for Cleveland.
The Cavs match up so much better versus OKC or the Clippers.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your fortitude is duly noted. I just cant totally figure out what the Cavs will be, but it has the makings for a team that is young, talented, and diverse.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey Horn, I will take those odds. I think you got a little carried away but its ok:suds:

I think the main reason the Spurs had their way with Miami was because of the Heat's lack of post presence.

The Cavs won't have that problem offensively and seem to have a deeper bench on paper.

So, I agree with you they have a better chance than 5% :lol:.

But, they have not done anything to address their defensive liabilities outside of Marion.

He won't help much against Splitter and Duncan.

But, should be able to help keep Leonard and Diaw in check.

Love can't guard anyone...lets just be honest there.

So, the Cavs will have to count on Andy to carry the defensive load in the post and his history of injuries makes me think he's fools gold as a starting Center.

They really need to pick up a defensive Center.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the main reason the Spurs had their way with Miami was because of the Heat's lack of post presence.

The Cavs won't have that problem offensively and seem to have a deeper bench on paper.

So, I agree with you they have a better chance than 5% :lol:.

But, they have not done anything to address their defensive liabilities outside of Marion.

He won't help much against Splitter and Duncan.

But, should be able to help keep Leonard and Diaw in check.

Love can't guard anyone...lets just be honest there.

So, the Cavs will have to count on Andy to carry the defensive load in the post and his history of injuries makes me think he's fools gold as a starting Center.

They really need to pick up a defensive Center.

Yah, Thompson is good at the 4 and Haywood is injury prone as well. Okafor would be a good pickup for som minutes off the bench, that guy can defend with the best of them.