• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welp, USC might be about ready

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Phil knight is cool with getting less than let's say Iowa St, Arkansas or Purdue?
Uncle Phil could give a shit less about that. He's making bank with those schools being under contract with Nike.

In 2020, the Nike brand was valued at approximately 34.8 billion U.S. dollars, which was an increase of over two billion U.S. dollars from 2019.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uncle Phil could give a shit less about that. He's making bank with those schools being under contract with Nike.

In 2020, the Nike brand was valued at approximately 34.8 billion U.S. dollars, which was an increase of over two billion U.S. dollars from 2019.
LOL never knew Oregon benefitted from all those sales.. They might as well go independent lol.. Btw I'm cool with Nike.. I order a lot of #HookEm gear

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL never knew Oregon benefitted from all those sales.. They might as well go independent lol.. Btw I'm cool with Nike.. I order a lot of #HookEm gear
Washington recently dropped Nike for Adidas. It was a choice between commie china and nazi germany. With that said one of the best things that could happen to this country is for a giant meteor to hit downtown Eugene and take out everything within a 20 sq. mile radius.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington recently dropped Nike for Adidas. It was a choice between commie china and nazi germany. With that said one of the best things that could happen for this country is for a giant meteor to hit downtown Eugene and take out everything within a 20 sq. mile radius.
I'm glad Steve Patterson got fired before he had the chance to make Texas an Under Armour school.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but I feel if USC really wants to leave because of the big gap of revenue it's missing out. It's kind of hard to picture other schools not following them out.

Pretty sure that if USC gets serious about leaving the conference, Oregon will probably join them.

I wouldn't be surprised if UCLA, Washington and maybe Stanford or 1 or both of the Arizona schools might as well.

I'm glad USC is finally throwing their weight around. They should have done that a long time ago. Hopefully Larry Scott will get shitcanned soon because whoever the next commissioner is, they're going to have a lot of work to do.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure that if USC gets serious about leaving the conference, Oregon will probably join them.

I wouldn't be surprised if UCLA, Washington and maybe Stanford or 1 or both of the Arizona schools might as well.

I'm glad USC is finally throwing their weight around. They should have done that a long time ago. Hopefully Larry Scott will get shitcanned soon because whoever the next commissioner is, they're going to have a lot of work to do.
Agreed.. I will give Scott some credit for his vision, and I think it would have come to fruition had he closed with UT/ou in 2011.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not buying it. Even if a kid didn't want to go USC, it's up to the other PAC schools to figure out how to use that.

I’m not completely disagreeing. I’m just putting blame on USC for taking that one recruiting tactic away.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you talking about re: buying out the AD? Lynn Swann was fired, that's why Bohn is there in the first place.

As for buying out Helton, turns out the issue wasn't as much about pulling together the funds to buy him as was initially reported. Basically, it was timing, available candidates and somewhat Helton's buyout.

Bohn was hired with about 3 weeks left in the season. By the time he felt he had seen enough to make a decision, there really weren't any better candidates available. Apparently Urban Meyer to USC is never going to happen. From what has been said, USC won't even contact him.

Essentially, USC decided it made more sense to keep Helton and use the money that would have been spent to buy him out, to upgrade the coaching staff around him.

Every single coach they hired is an upgrade over the one that was there this past season. Those hires look to have had a positive effect on recruiting for USC. Getting Donte' Williams away from Oregon and Keeping Graham Harrell when Texas came calling were huge. I think getting Sean Snyder was pretty big too. USC's special teams have been horrible and cost them a few wins over the past 3-4 years.

Had there been a better HC candidate available, USC would have bought Helton out.

If Helton is smart enough to concentrate on overseeing the program and just let his coaches coach. He may not have to be bought out or fired.

Sure, Swann was eventually fired. I’m not going to pretend to be some USC expert at all so maybe this is out of ignorance. But since Swann took over your two revenue generating sports have sucked except one season right?

I’ll disagree with a better HC available. Pete Carroll was a terrible, dumpster fire hire if you look at it at the time. You guys swung and missed on the big guns and struck fire with a dude no one wanted.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're mixing up your decades. When John Robinson was coaching or when Pete was coach many really good players from Cali weren't taken or offered a scholarship by USC simply because a better player was taken and you could only take so many. In Petes years he was pulling in some talent from around the country which took spots. One of Petes years Pete had a LB corps of Lofa Tatupu, Ray Malauga, Brian Cushing and Clay Mathews 3rd. They had to invent a hybrid "elephant" LB spot invented for Clay just to get him on the field with the others. So I imagine there were some pretty good LBs USC passed on those years because of what they had. So then pretty good players would go to Arizona or Cal or Washington and when those teams would play USC you'd hear about the Cali kids on those teams wanting to stick it to USC. That describes what you're talking about.
USC hasn't had the luxury of not offering really good Cali players the last couple years. The instability of the coaching staff and bad results on the field made them decide to go elsewhere and it wasn't to stick it to USC

You literally just made my semi disagreeing argument for me. When you guys do your part, it is easier for other teams to pick up scraps. When you let 5 star walk out of your state it means you and everyone else is fighting over the 3 star kids from California. Let alone if a kid commits to USC, it used to always bump him up a star. Such as Bumpus losing a star when you guys got Jarrett or Deontay Burnett somehow gained a star when he decommitted from us and took a walk on with you guys.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You literally just made my semi disagreeing argument for me. When you guys do your part, it is easier for other teams to pick up scraps. When you let 5 star walk out of your state it means you and everyone else is fighting over the 3 star kids from California. Let alone if a kid commits to USC, it used to always bump him up a star. Such as Bumpus losing a star when you guys got Jarrett or Deontay Burnett somehow gained a star when he decommitted from us and took a walk on with you guys.

Wait, you mean Texas isn't the only school whose commits get massive ratings bumps?!---aggy's everywhere

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s a crazy idea, instead of continuing to keep Larry Scott around, how about not doing that?

The ADs and Presidents have kept that clown around with no indication of wanting to get rid of his incompetent ass, and now a school wants to publicly flirt with leaving.

I need an oil change, think I’ll just buy a new car instead.

"Atleast people are talking about this and not how we give special treatment to rich people like Lori Laughlin" -USC thoughts

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, Swann was eventually fired. I’m not going to pretend to be some USC expert at all so maybe this is out of ignorance. But since Swann took over your two revenue generating sports have sucked except one season right?

Which is why he was fired. The only reason he got the job in the first place was because of a big money donor who has since been neutered. He was responsible for the hirings of both Haden and Swann because the President at the time allowed him influence and he knew Haden and Swann would too.

I’ll disagree with a better HC available. Pete Carroll was a terrible, dumpster fire hire if you look at it at the time. You guys swung and missed on the big guns and struck fire with a dude no one wanted.

Pete Carroll was pure luck. If I recall correctly, Garrett had struck out on the big names, Pete Carroll happened to be on campus because his daughter was on the USC volleyball team and had a game. He stopped by to talk with Mike Garrett and ended up being the coach.

So, it's not like Garrett saw something that no one else did or took a chance on some young up and coming guy. He was desperate for a coach and, at the least, Pete had NFL experience. Plus, aside from being a really good recruiter, Pete's biggest strength was his ability to find and hire very good assistant coaches.

After Meyer (who USC apparently won't even interview) the names that were coming up were guys like Jeff Fisher and Jack Del Rio. Del Rio may have been okay, but it was time to hire outside the "Trojan Family". Franklin and a couple of others came up, but I don't think they ever seriously considered coming to USC.

End of the day, Helton's biggest problem has always been being too loyal to assistant coaches who weren't doing a good job.

Heck, Clancy Pendergast, the DC, hated recruiting and wouldn't do it very much. I liked him okay, but in college football, that should be a fireable offense. Now they have a DC who will recruit and has Texas ties. They also poached one of the top recruiters in the PAC from Oregon.

The entire coaching staff around Helton has been upgraded. If Helton is smart enough to do what Pete did and just oversee the program, make sure the kids are happy and let his coaches do their jobs...USC should be just fine going forward.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire coaching staff around Helton has been upgraded. If Helton is smart enough to do what Pete did and just oversee the program, make sure the kids are happy and let his coaches do their jobs...USC should be just fine going forward.

Biggest mistake the AD admin has done is keep Helton twisting in the wind the past couple years. With that much smoke, the AD or someone needed to make a statement backing him up as the HC. Think if they even did that last summer the 2020 class would have been so much different.

Players like Bijan, Ringo, Flowe, Young, DJ, etc were all trojan fans growing up. With all the turmoil going on, they went different directions.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest mistake the AD admin has done is keep Helton twisting in the wind the past couple years. With that much smoke, the AD or someone needed to make a statement backing him up as the HC. Think if they even did that last summer the 2020 class would have been so much different.

The problem was that they had a lame duck President, then they had an interim President.

Typically, the President hires the AD and the AD hires the coach. It's hard to get a quality AD to take a job that they may be fired from in a year or less because the new President wants to make their own hire...

And what quality HC is going to want to take a job where they could be fired within a year because the new AD wants to make their own hire...

Considering all of the speculation about Helton's job, I'm actually impressed that they were able to upgrade the assistants as much as they did.

Also, while the class was the worst USC has had in a long time (maybe ever). It's not quite as bad as has been reported. It was a small class (only 16 I think) and they mostly went after linemen. Overall, they were ranked 10th in the PAC. But when you account for ratings per player, they are 4th. Still not good, but better than 10th. lol

2021 is already looking a whole lot better for recruiting.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem was that they had a lame duck President, then they had an interim President.

Typically, the President hires the AD and the AD hires the coach. It's hard to get a quality AD to take a job that they may be fired from in a year or less because the new President wants to make their own hire...

And what quality HC is going to want to take a job where they could be fired within a year because the new AD wants to make their own hire...

Considering all of the speculation about Helton's job, I'm actually impressed that they were able to upgrade the assistants as much as they did.

Also, while the class was the worst USC has had in a long time (maybe ever). It's not quite as bad as has been reported. It was a small class (only 16 I think) and they mostly went after linemen. Overall, they were ranked 10th in the PAC. But when you account for ratings per player, they are 4th. Still not good, but better than 10th. lol

2021 is already looking a whole lot better for recruiting.
Crazy part is that despite the last two underwhelming classes, I still think they win their division this season. Trust me I understand the pains of going through bad Presidents/ADs that make hires that hampers the HC in the midst of it all.
How confident are you with Graham Harrell?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy part is that despite the last two underwhelming classes, I still think they win their division this season. Trust me I understand the pains of going through bad Presidents/ADs that make hires that hampers the HC in the midst of it all.
How confident are you with Graham Harrell?

As an OC? Very confident. There was huge improvement in the offense under him and now the returning players have a season running his system under their belts, which should help.

As an HC to possibly replace Helton? I don't know, but I have a feeling that if the team underachieves again, we may very well find out. At least on an interim basis.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an OC? Very confident. There was huge improvement in the offense under him and now the returning players have a season running his system under their belts, which should help.

As an HC to possibly replace Helton? I don't know, but I have a feeling that if the team underachieves again, we may very well find out. At least on an interim basis.
Texas was on him hard but I was telling UT posters on another board that he didn't make sense for him in Austin. He can coach and puts points on the board but his air raid is oil mixing with Herman's water philosophy. Only negative thing I have about Harrell is his recruiting chops.
Here's to a better season for the both of us.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's peak conference realignment season..

Staples: Now’s the time, Big 12, to go after the...

TL;DR: Big 12 now can exact revenge. They pass out 38 mil a season to each school, meanwhile Pac distributes 31-33 mil..however 3rd tier deals in Big 12 are independent. Texas makes an additional 15 mil for LHN, ou makes 7 mil for the ou network. Money or tradition, USC will make that choice.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3