• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welp, USC might be about ready

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well have a conference from LA to West by gawd Virginia. Makes a hell of a lot of sense.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of rumblings that Larry Scott is out by no later than summer.

As for USC leaving the PAC,......bwhahahahahahaha!!!!

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that USC would seriously leave the PAC. But there is also no doubt that Larry Scott has fucked things up.

If the threat of leaving leads to things being improved in the conference, then it's all good.

If it somehow did end up with USC leaving the conference, it wouldn't break my heart.

Larry Scott reminds me of that Dan Beebe from the Big XII all those years ago. Playing his fiddle while Rome burned.

If he hadn't finally gotten fired, who knows where that conference would be.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Partially true. Other PAC teams have failed to keep talent out west. If a kid isn't going to USC because of sanctions, bad coaching or instability it's on other PAC teams to grab some of that talent. Oregon has a bit and Washington has made inroads but the majority of the best players have gone east. That's on those other programs. It's not USC and UCLAs job to steer them to other PAC teams if they can't get them.

I have to partially disagree with you though. For better or worse, Cali kids always wanted to go to USC and when they get shunned they wanted to shove it up their ass. It use to be a great selling point for other schools, with players not wanting to stay home it takes away a huge pitch. Like you said it’s on the other programs though.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to partially disagree with you though. For better or worse, Cali kids always wanted to go to USC and when they get shunned they wanted to shove it up their ass. It use to be a great selling point for other schools, with players not wanting to stay home it takes away a huge pitch. Like you said it’s on the other programs though.

What are you partially disagreeing with? If USC, for whatever reason, doesn't sign a talented kid and the kid wants to "shove it up their ass", then going to another PAC team would seem to be the best way to do it.

It on the other PAC teams to sell them on that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be just a threat. How can USC not pull the funds together to buyout AD’s and Head Coaches yet thinking going independent would work. Larry Scott has been terrible for the conference but it’s not like USC and UCLA aren’t a little responsible since you guys are the premiere programs in the conference and your programs have been in a state of flux since he took over. What UCLA and USC use to say is what the commissioner did.

What are you talking about re: buying out the AD? Lynn Swann was fired, that's why Bohn is there in the first place.

As for buying out Helton, turns out the issue wasn't as much about pulling together the funds to buy him as was initially reported. Basically, it was timing, available candidates and somewhat Helton's buyout.

Bohn was hired with about 3 weeks left in the season. By the time he felt he had seen enough to make a decision, there really weren't any better candidates available. Apparently Urban Meyer to USC is never going to happen. From what has been said, USC won't even contact him.

Essentially, USC decided it made more sense to keep Helton and use the money that would have been spent to buy him out, to upgrade the coaching staff around him.

Every single coach they hired is an upgrade over the one that was there this past season. Those hires look to have had a positive effect on recruiting for USC. Getting Donte' Williams away from Oregon and Keeping Graham Harrell when Texas came calling were huge. I think getting Sean Snyder was pretty big too. USC's special teams have been horrible and cost them a few wins over the past 3-4 years.

Had there been a better HC candidate available, USC would have bought Helton out.

If Helton is smart enough to concentrate on overseeing the program and just let his coaches coach. He may not have to be bought out or fired.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're mixing up your decades. When John Robinson was coaching or when Pete was coach many really good players from Cali weren't taken or offered a scholarship by USC simply because a better player was taken and you could only take so many. In Petes years he was pulling in some talent from around the country which took spots. One of Petes years Pete had a LB corps of Lofa Tatupu, Ray Malauga, Brian Cushing and Clay Mathews 3rd. They had to invent a hybrid "elephant" LB spot invented for Clay just to get him on the field with the others. So I imagine there were some pretty good LBs USC passed on those years because of what they had. So then pretty good players would go to Arizona or Cal or Washington and when those teams would play USC you'd hear about the Cali kids on those teams wanting to stick it to USC. That describes what you're talking about.
USC hasn't had the luxury of not offering really good Cali players the last couple years. The instability of the coaching staff and bad results on the field made them decide to go elsewhere and it wasn't to stick it to USC

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you partially disagreeing with? If USC, for whatever reason, doesn't sign a talented kid and the kid wants to "shove it up their ass", then going to another PAC team would seem to be the best way to do it.

It on the other PAC teams to sell them on that.

Im partially disagreeing with USC isn’t to partially blame. Again it use to be USC wouldn’t sign a kid, now it is USC can’t sign someone. You can’t sell sticking it to USC when the recruit never wanted to go there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im partially disagreeing with USC isn’t to partially blame. Again it use to be USC wouldn’t sign a kid, now it is USC can’t sign someone. You can’t sell sticking it to USC when the recruit never wanted to go there.

Yeah, not buying it. Even if a kid didn't want to go USC, it's up to the other PAC schools to figure out how to use that.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well have a conference from LA to West by gawd Virginia. Makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Hey The Hollywood hills and the Kanawha valley look alot alike geographically...

Sept we get snow

Also, USC is gonna LOVE our T3 structure.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read into his statement, it sounds like USC isn't getting much money along with the rest of the conference so they will like to get more unequal payments compared to the rest. This model worked very well (sarcasm) with the original Big 12 (Nebraska, ou, TX, aggy) getting bigger slices of the pie.

Not sure what's going to happen with the Pac 12, a merger with the Big 12 sounds like a best case scenario for them. But as a Texas fan, not sure I would want to sign up with any of those Cal Schools..

USC may think it can be Notre Dame as an Independent but I don't see NBC throwing them the same money.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey The Hollywood hills and the Kanawha valley look alot alike geographically...

Sept we get snow

Also, USC is gonna LOVE our T3 structure.

If this were to happen, WV hopefully gets a place in the ACC. If a true Pac 12 raid were to happen for the Big 12.. Baylor and WV would be the first to fall out.

West
USC
UCLA
AZ
ASU
Stanford
Oregon
Washington
Colorado/Cal

South
UT
TT
TCU
ou
osu
KSU
KS
Iowa St

ESPN would then buyout UT for LHN and turn it into a conference Network..thus all the tier 3 money going to that and ESPN plus.

Still 9 conference games, ensuring schools from one division plays the other every 4 years. Rotate title games between Jerry World and Vegas.

BTW I hope this doesn't happen..as bad as the Big 12 image took a hit..it's nowhere as bad as the Pac 12. Larry Scott, the dumpster fire that is USC/UCLA and the perception that most schools don't really care about sports (looking at you stanford, Cal, Colorado). As a UT fan the path to a CFP spot is there for the taking every season in the Big 12.

However as for money, this would surpass the SEC and be up there with the Rust Belt. Now the conference will have two huge states as bases for recruiting in CA and TX. There's no room for WV

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this were to happen, WV hopefully gets a place in the ACC. If a true Pac 12 raid were to happen for the Big 12.. Baylor and WV would be the first to fall out.

West
USC
UCLA
AZ
ASU
Stanford
Oregon
Washington
Colorado/Cal

South
UT
TT
TCU
ou
osu
KSU
KS
Iowa St

ESPN would then buyout UT for LHN and turn it into a conference Network..thus all the tier 3 money going to that and ESPN plus.

Still 9 conference games, ensuring schools from one division plays the other every 4 years. Rotate title games between Jerry World and Vegas.

BTW I hope this doesn't happen..as bad as the Big 12 image took a hit..it's nowhere as bad as the Pac 12. Larry Scott, the dumpster fire that is USC/UCLA and the perception that most schools don't really care about sports (looking at you stanford, Cal, Colorado). As a UT fan the path to a CFP spot is there for the taking every season in the Big 12.

However as for money, this would surpass the SEC and be up there with the Rust Belt. Now the conference will have two huge states as bases for recruiting in CA and TX. There's no room for WV

That scenario's not gonna happen. No conference is going to expell longstanding members without just cause. Either the Pac-12 stays intact & gets a few members of the Big 12 to jump ship, or the Big 12 stays intact & invites some of the Paccies to come aboard.

The second scenario is the most likely, since the Big 12 is the most valuable of the two conferences. There is a third alternative, which would be for certain members of each league to leave their current conference & form a new league; but it is highly unlikely as well since all the NCAA basketball (and other postseason) credits would remain with the old conferences.

If the Big 12 were to choose to expand, they might invite USC, UCLA and the two Arizona schools - and maybe Washington & Oregon - or they could just stop at two new schools.

If the Pac-12 were to expand, they are stuck with current MWC teams and BYU as candidates.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That scenario's not gonna happen. No conference is going to expell longstanding members without just cause. Either the Pac-12 stays intact & gets a few members of the Big 12 to jump ship, or the Big 12 stays intact & invites some of the Paccies to come aboard.

The second scenario is the most likely, since the Big 12 is the most valuable of the two conferences. There is a third alternative, which would be for certain members of each league to leave their current conference & form a new league; but it is highly unlikely as well since all the NCAA basketball (and other postseason) credits would remain with the old conferences.

If the Big 12 were to choose to expand, they might invite USC, UCLA and the two Arizona schools - and maybe Washington & Oregon - or they could just stop at two new schools.

If the Pac-12 were to expand, they are stuck with current MWC teams and BYU as candidates.

I agree, but I feel if USC really wants to leave because of the big gap of revenue it's missing out. It's kind of hard to picture other schools not following them out.

Big 12 it takes 8/10 schools to dissolve the conference, if you guarantee 8/10 schools that they will be part of a new conference this would happen easily.

I do hope the Larry Scott or the person who replaces them can save the conference by getting them the proper TV money.

Can someone fill me in on Bohns comment that Palo Alto is running the conference? How does Stanford have that much pull?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Oregon is with USC. I'm sure UCLA is down too..