• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 1: Denver Broncos vs Seattle Seahawks

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you smell it! It's football in the air! Love this time of year... We get to have football every Weekend from here through the the beginning of February... With that said, it's t he home opener for our beloved Seahawks...

I know we're all pumped to see how our new regime take over... We've needed this change for a few years now so let's see how this team executes... I also hope that we are much more disciplined in terms of penalties... I believe we've been in the top 5 for penalties in the NFL over the past 5 years or so....

Offense:
N'jigba is going to have a big season imo... He's poised to break out after working through his rookie season... I'm excited to see how much he grows... I also want to see how C. Cross grows... Our success will depend a lot on how that left side of the OL performs out of the gate... I hope that Cross takes a step forward and shows us why he was drafted in the top 10... We need him to... It will help with us getting the running game going... We have 2 starting backs in the backfield so I'm excited to see how they are utilized with the new coaching staff... It was nice to see screen passes, end a rounds actually work in the preseason resulting in nice chunk of yardage... We have seen that in some time so hopefully that is something we will see more of in the regular season... TE should be interesting to see develop outside of Fant who seems to always be dinged up...

Defense:
This is where I'm excited the most... I've felt that we had a good roster on this side of the ball but the coaching staff was letting us down with their changes on defense and lack of ability to play to the players strengths... MacCarthy seems like he's going to be the right man for the job... His approach, militant/disciplined, seems like something we've need to infuse into this defense for some time... They are fast and aggressive... We have one of the top 5 DL's in football atm in my opinion... this DL is going to get after people and allow our LB's to make more plays.. They shouldn't always have a guard picking them off because we'll have a guy or two on the DL that will need to get double-team... Sounds like our LB's will be good to go but they do need a little bit more time together imo to see if they can build that chemistry they need to be effective as a unit... Our DB's have got to be arguably top 6-8 in the NFL heading into the season as a unit...

I think this will be a low scoring affair... Hawks 23 Broncos 16

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly have no idea what to expect. I wont be surprised to see them totally shit the bed and i wont be surprised to see them totally dominate. And also wont be reading too much into what happens in game 1 of the new era.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 620.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First week is hard to know what to expect but if I'm making a prediction it would be the Seahawk's winning but not convincingly and there will be obvious area's where they need to improve.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it'll be a low scoring game because I think the clock is going to be moving quick. I think both teams will be running the ball A LOT. Seattle certainly has the better receiver talent but Denver's secondary isn't horrible by any stretch.

Reasons I think Denver will go run heavy:
1) Denver has Nix who likes to scramble/extend plays and dump short passes.
2) Seattle's run defense is not proven yet, and while new players helped bolster the line - one is aging and one is a rookie. Denver's OL is pretty good as well with two solid tackles and one of the better guards last year.
3) Nix is a rookie, Broncos will try to slow things down.
4) Seattle's secondary is good at nearly all levels. Passing a bunch doesn't seem great.

Reasons I think Seattle will go run heavy:
1) Denver had one of the worst run Ds (like Seattle) and lost Jewell who was one of their only good run defenders.
2) CODY BARTON will start for Denver... that means we need to run 35+ times or consider audibling to a run whenever he's in.
3) Denver has their own decent secondary and while Seattle has a good WR group, I don't see many risks being taken with the new coaching change.
4) With Connor Williams now starting, Seattle has one of the best run blocking Centers in the NFL which is what they've sorely lacked since we lost Unger. Now is the time to get him going.

I think it'll be a 17 or 20-13 kind of thing.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it'll be a low scoring game because I think the clock is going to be moving quick. I think both teams will be running the ball A LOT. Seattle certainly has the better receiver talent but Denver's secondary isn't horrible by any stretch.

Reasons I think Denver will go run heavy:
1) Denver has Nix who likes to scramble/extend plays and dump short passes.
2) Seattle's run defense is not proven yet, and while new players helped bolster the line - one is aging and one is a rookie. Denver's OL is pretty good as well with two solid tackles and one of the better guards last year.
3) Nix is a rookie, Broncos will try to slow things down.
4) Seattle's secondary is good at nearly all levels. Passing a bunch doesn't seem great.

Reasons I think Seattle will go run heavy:
1) Denver had one of the worst run Ds (like Seattle) and lost Jewell who was one of their only good run defenders.
2) CODY BARTON will start for Denver... that means we need to run 35+ times or consider audibling to a run whenever he's in.
3) Denver has their own decent secondary and while Seattle has a good WR group, I don't see many risks being taken with the new coaching change.
4) With Connor Williams now starting, Seattle has one of the best run blocking Centers in the NFL which is what they've sorely lacked since we lost Unger. Now is the time to get him going.

I think it'll be a 17 or 20-13 kind of thing.

The Broncos though did do quite a bit to bolster this run defense. John Franklin Myers and Malcom Roach are huge upgrades over what the Broncos had last year. I do agree losing Jewell hurts in this department. I think the Broncos are hoping with their edge guys finally healthy again and improved interior work that it can counter the Jewell loss and hopefully free up Singleton to make more play downhill like he did a couple of years ago.

I do agree I think both teams will focus pretty hard in the run game. Seahawks were not great against the run last year either so will have to prove they have upgraded in that department as well. Throw in the Broncos really like this OL and RB group and the aggressive smack you in the face attitude they want to establish. Nix being able to run will also add another wrinkle into this that I think the Broncos will go to a lot in this one. He was pretty darn good at the RPO game in college so I would expect them to run a few of those to give Nix easy reads and allow him to be a playmaker with both his arm and legs.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,354.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see the Hawks running the ball heavily with Grubb as their OC. You can preach all day long how you want to run the ball but then on game day you have to do just that. Seattle threw the ball more in the preseason than they ran the ball, this falls in line with Grubb's history and i think will hold true again. I would LOVE to see 35 carries in the game not counting QB scrambles but i wont hold my breath. Against the Titans they ran the ball 18 time total and the browns 19 times total and thats counting 5 QB scrambles in total in those two games. Thats not enough.

Like it or not i think the hawks will transition into a heavy passing team which does lean into a heavily talented group of WR's. Thing is the Hawks wont be resigning DK not at 40 million a year he is going to ask for. Not having your QB of the future but having one of the more talented RB rooms in the NFL i say they need to RUN THE DAMN BALL!

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care what the run/pass mix is as long as it works. Must improve 3rd down % and must avoid the big stretches where we do next to nothing until it's desperation time. With the amount of talent at RB & WR, this team should be able to be quite balanced, and to me that means you can run to set up the pass just as well as you can pass to set up the run.

Definitely a large element of the unknown in the first game of this new era. Not getting a win at home against an unproven team and rookie QB would certainly be a disappointment, but the long term success of the new coach isn't riding on this one game no matter what happens. Vibe in the stadium should be something to behold though, so hopefully it gives the players a little boost.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see the Hawks running the ball heavily with Grubb as their OC. You can preach all day long how you want to run the ball but then on game day you have to do just that. Seattle threw the ball more in the preseason than they ran the ball, this falls in line with Grubb's history and i think will hold true again. I would LOVE to see 35 carries in the game not counting QB scrambles but i wont hold my breath. Against the Titans they ran the ball 18 time total and the browns 19 times total and thats counting 5 QB scrambles in total in those two games. Thats not enough.

Like it or not i think the hawks will transition into a heavy passing team which does lean into a heavily talented group of WR's. Thing is the Hawks wont be resigning DK not at 40 million a year he is going to ask for. Not having your QB of the future but having one of the more talented RB rooms in the NFL i say they need to RUN THE DAMN BALL!

Fair. I mean if it's a pass oriented offense that's fine, but Denver matches up more poorly against the run than their pass (secondary is pretty good). And if the Broncos are running the ball well and we haven't quite gotten there yet, they are going to take all the gameclock if Seattle keeps passing and doesn't convert regularly. I'm just saying we have one of the best run blocking Centers now, and Bradford is starting who is much more suited to the run (and if he won over Haynes who was the best RG in the draft, that's telling), and two very talented backs... use em... I mean Cody Fuckin' Barton is in... and then when they have to sub Barton out, pass to JSN over the middle... lol. Sound familiar?

Lot will be telling this first game.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,354.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair. I mean if it's a pass oriented offense that's fine, but Denver matches up more poorly against the run than their pass (secondary is pretty good). And if the Broncos are running the ball well and we haven't quite gotten there yet, they are going to take all the gameclock if Seattle keeps passing and doesn't convert regularly. I'm just saying we have one of the best run blocking Centers now, and Bradford is starting who is much more suited to the run (and if he won over Haynes who was the best RG in the draft, that's telling), and two very talented backs... use em... I mean Cody Fuckin' Barton is in... and then when they have to sub Barton out, pass to JSN over the middle... lol. Sound familiar?

Lot will be telling this first game.

We NEED to run the ball no if ands or buts about it. I just don't trust Grubb to do it. We have 3 very good RB's and we need to use them.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We NEED to run the ball no if ands or buts about it. I just don't trust Grubb to do it. We have 3 very good RB's and we need to use them.

I mean everyone here knows my stance from my first post (run the ball)...

For Denver, Seattle is a bit harder to figure out because while Denver does have a good secondary, Seattle's WR group is VASTLY better than Denvers (who are also playing against a good if not better coverage secondary)...

That said, both teams had some of the worst run defenses in the NFL last year. I get both have improved (albeit perhaps slightly) on paper... but both OLs are capable of shutting down the new additions. Seattle lost Wagner, Broncos lost Jewell - but added Barton so WOOF, you got vastly worse at ILB...

Hey if Seattle comes out running and gets stuffed 24/7 or Seattle comes out passing and puts up 25+ points.. I'll eat crow.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 620.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be happy with a win, be better if it's in a dominating fashion but first game of the season that may be a big ask. As for the mix, a balanced approach makes sense to me, yes Seahawks have good RBs but they have good WRs also, but whatever works is fine with me.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,354.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be happy with a win, be better if it's in a dominating fashion but first game of the season that may be a big ask. As for the mix, a balanced approach makes sense to me, yes Seahawks have good RBs but they have good WRs also, but whatever works is fine with me.

I just dont trust Geno in the 4th quarter in a close game. He tends to turn the ball over in those moments. Now if we are able to run the ball then i trust him a whole lot more. I would be happy with a 50/50 split.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably late to the party on some of this stuff as I was on the road all day yesterday, but for injuries it appears only Nwosu and Pharoah Brown are ruled out for tomorrow. Sounds like most of the questionables were full participants yesterday, to include Lockett and DreMont Jones. It would be great to have Nwosu out there, but this is probably going to be the healthiest we'll be all year. Meanwhile, GB's season might be completely derailed with Love's MCL injury.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can hardly wait for this to get going. I'm sick of all the off season stupid takes that run the gamut for this team because of the unknown. I think the team as a whole is vastly improved in certain very important areas and our talent might finally be utilized to it's potential. I also think this breath of fresh air with the coaching and new look is going to get our home field advantage back. Let's face it, the stadium hasn't had that atmosphere the last couple of years. Mostly due to how stale things had become. Our defense was so vanilla and outdated that good offenses were just toying with us at times. It will take a little time for MacDonald's scheme to reach it's full potential, obviously, as it isn't easy but you can see the excitement from our defensive playmakers that kinda wasn't there at the end of Pete's tenure. Not expecting miracles right away but I think being able to start this thing vs. a rookie QB at home will give these guys some juice.
On offense, I can't wait to see Grubb's system do it's thing. I think we are gonna have big years from a lot of guys. Finally having a legit center is huge, imo. We have been rotating in just dudes one after the other since the Unger trade, it seems. We will see on the guards though. If they can be just solid, this offense can be dominant. I think Cross has a huge year. We will see if Lucas get's back but no rush, imo. Fant is a veteran who can hold down the fort adequately, I think. Everything hinges on that line. Top 12ish line and this can be one of the better offenses in football. A bunch of injuries or guys under-performing and we are right where we were. Geno is a lot like Goff. Give him time and space and he can make the plays.
As for this game, besides Surtain, I don't think the Broncos back 7 are anything too concerning. Football gods, please have them play Cody Barton a ton, lol. Seriously though, I think Surtain will be on DK all day and having to run deep a lot and that will open up the mid-range stuff. Still want to see DK get targets and be engaged but JSN and Tyler and the TE's should be able to expose the LBs much like the Chiefs exploited the Ravens the other night. I think we will run the ball a lot more than people think as well. And there will also be some reverses and screens that will have success. Defensively, expecting Denver to run the ball a lot or have a lot of dink and dunk. Have Woolen blanket Sutton all day and let Spoon and the rest of them take away all the underneath stuff and shut down the other fairly average WRs that Denver features. I know Payton is pretty good with his schemes but I think he will try to protect Nix a bit as well.
Hoping for a solid performance from all 3 phases today and come out with a comfortable win. Go Hawks.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont trust Geno in the 4th quarter in a close game. He tends to turn the ball over in those moments. Now if we are able to run the ball then i trust him a whole lot more. I would be happy with a 50/50 split.

It's more like 2 to 3 plays a game he dose something that will cost the game.. really bad throw should be picked, fumbles ect.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think this breath of fresh air with the coaching and new look is going to get our home field advantage back. Let's face it, the stadium hasn't had that atmosphere the last couple of years. Mostly due to how stale things had become.

I saw this gradually happen before my very eyes a few years after the SB win. We moved to the Tacoma area in 2015 for my last 3 years on active duty, and we had been season ticket holders since 2002. We went to every home game from '15 until the covid year, and I could see the home crowd turn into more of a social scene than one focused on being as loud as possible. The fans in the stands became younger and drunker, increasingly female, and they were there for the party more than anything else. Hopefully this new era brings excitement and energy that can bring back the true 12th Man atmosphere

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,354.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this gradually happen before my very eyes a few years after the SB win. We moved to the Tacoma area in 2015 for my last 3 years on active duty, and we had been season ticket holders since 2002. We went to every home game from '15 until the covid year, and I could see the home crowd turn into more of a social scene than one focused on being as loud as possible. The fans in the stands became younger and drunker, increasingly female, and they were there for the party more than anything else. Hopefully this new era brings excitement and energy that can bring back the true 12th Man atmosphere

This is common after a team wins the superbowl the people in the stands become more corporate types. It becomes the "In" thing to do and you got people there that are not football fans. It's sad but it's common. The big money brings in poor fans that have no clue what it means to be the 12th man. It also sticks around for a few years and it seems like the only way it "goes away" is if the team isn't very good.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,977.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Logan Paul GIF by DAZN

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00