• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Way OT: My Oscar Rant

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had already felt this was the worst year all time for oscar worthy movies. Today just confirmed that for me and I'm also leaning towards the world truly exploding this year. How does Bridesmaids (easily one of the stupidest and not funny in any way) get two Oscar nominations? Damn I feel bad for society.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow that stuff that closely, but it seems like if the studio sends enough "gifts" (which we like to call bribes) to the Academy voters, they tend to nominate that studio's movies.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work in the industry. It is all about promotion. I have screener copies of a ton of movies that they want to be nominated. They just send them all over the place. I can't believe Jonah Hill got nominated. He didn't really do anything in Moneyball worthy of notoriety.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe the Warrior only got 1 nomination. Nick Nolte for best supporting actor. The movie is better than The Fighter and both brothers gave a great performance. Tom Hardy should have also been nominated for that movie.

Andy Serkis once again got left at the door. This was the year for the Academy to at least nominate an actor for bringing a CGI character to life, but I guess they just can't do that. If you don't know he is the man who played Ceasar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Also shocked that the Adventures of TinTin is not up for best animated picture. How is Kung Fu Panda 2 up for that award over TinTin?

And yeah I like Jonah Hill in Moneyball, but it was not an Oscar performance.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe the Warrior only got 1 nomination. Nick Nolte for best supporting actor. The movie is better than The Fighter and both brothers gave a great performance. Tom Hardy should have also been nominated for that movie.

Andy Serkis once again got left at the door. This was the year for the Academy to at least nominate an actor for bringing a CGI character to life, but I guess they just can't do that. If you don't know he is the man who played Ceasar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Also shocked that the Adventures of TinTin is not up for best animated picture. How is Kung Fu Panda 2 up for that award over TinTin?

Hardy got robbed. But Jonah Hill did a performance you see from an actor in every movie ever made. It was good, but very dry. Not sure he even changed his emotion at any point in the entire film. Not saying he should have cried, but he was.... vanilla.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the use of motion capture is what kept Tin Tin out of the animated category, I could be wrong though.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing can be said about Zoe in Avatar.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I had already felt this was the worst year all time for oscar worthy movies. Today just confirmed that for me and I'm also leaning towards the world truly exploding this year. How does Bridesmaids (easily one of the stupidest and not funny in any way) get two Oscar nominations? Damn I feel bad for society.

The Descendants was a good movie; so was War Horse. And though I usually don't like the type of humor seen in Bridesmaids and The Hangover II provide, I thought Bridesmaids was pretty funny; especially that fat chick.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Jonah Hill's Character wasn't interesting enough to be nominated for an Oascar! He did next to no acting for that role; he just read his lines.

It's like nominating a guy for an Oascar who played one of those British Royal Army guys who just stands there motionless. Someone could play that role perfectly, but does he deserve an Oscar for it?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Descendants was a good movie; so was War Horse. And though I usually don't like the type of humor seen in Bridesmaids and The Hangover II provide, I thought Bridesmaids was pretty funny; especially that fat chick.

So the Descendants is good?? They sent me so many screeners of it that I figured it probably sucked and they needed to get rid of them. I will check it out now. A movie that is awesome that nobody talked about is Hesher. I recommend that one to everybody.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So the Descendants is good?? They sent me so many screeners of it that I figured it probably sucked and they needed to get rid of them. I will check it out now. A movie that is awesome that nobody talked about is Hesher. I recommend that one to everybody.

I just watched the trailor for Hesher - Definitely going to watch that movie. Wilson, Portman & Gordon-Levitt all in what appears to be obscure non-pigeon-holed roles - Definitely!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Portman? Uh yeah yes I will be watching that then.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Hesher is about the weird dude who lives in the garage and is throwing furniture in the pool right? I couldn't even finish it. I didn't like it at all; especially the way he kept getting that kid in trouble. Did it get better?

Since you are in the business though keep recommending some. I love to watch movies.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One that I thought would be really good was "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". But man, if anyone can tell me what the fuck was going on in that movie I'd love to hear it. I was bored and couldn't tell who was doing what. Reminded me of that mind fuck "Memento".

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched the trailor for Hesher - Definitely going to watch that movie. Wilson, Portman & Gordon-Levitt all in what appears to be obscure non-pigeon-holed roles - Definitely!

Don't. It's bad.

Somewhere in the original script there may have been a redeeming theme -- a message that to live life, you must embrace death.

But that's lost in a parade of scenes meant simply to startle: T.J. drops F-bombs on his dad; Hesher sets fire to his uncle's pool home, just because; bullies force victims to eat school urinal cakes.

It was definitely a down year for film; I'm surprised Drive wasn't nominated.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw Tree of Life, BTW. Sort of "On the Beach" meets the Nature Channel. Overlong and ultimately unsatisfying.

I know, that's what she said.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a damn joke.

However, The Tree Of Life being nominated for best picture - although not all that great - gives me hope that the Academy still pays attention to indie films.

I hope Moneyball wins.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, who knew that shitting in a sink could possibly land you Oscar gold?

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a damn joke.

However, The Tree Of Life being nominated for best picture - although not all that great - gives me hope that the Academy still pays attention to indie films.

I hope Moneyball wins.

I thought Tree of Life was horrendous; almost unwatchable. I don't think there is anything out there this time that compares to "The King's Speech". That was brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator: