• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warriors 2.0: from Showtime Lakers to the Spurs

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just outside their primes?

Klay just signed a 5 year extension, will be 30 years old before he sees the court again, and just had his knee rebuilt

Curry will be 32 before the season is over

I certainly dont think Draymond looks as spry as he did 3 years ago- hes undersized, carries a lot of weight and i think has already started his regression.

The Spurs were always able to keep developing new guys that became, if not stars (though some did) - at least high level role players.

The Warriors have not developed anyone lately--- the McCaws, Looneys, Bells, Clarks, etc.....they have MAYBE developed some end of the rotation guys- but no one that really makes any kind of real difference. That is what they are going to have to do.

Kerr's health isnt going to get better as he continues to age either- a guy that has already missed quite a few games.

Kevin Durant covered up the fact that as far as rounding out the roster the Warriors really havent done much the last few years. Id say the last guy they hit on - whether it be free agency or the draft that made a real difference was Shaun Livingston- and that was only as a 7th-8th guy and he has not been good for a while now (and of course is now gone).

I consider just outside their primes, maybe a year or two out. 33 is probably the new end of prime in today's NBA, considering the amount of "rest" and the new processes they have to keep their bodies well maintained. That fits in with at least MY description of just outside their primes. It's not like any of them will be 37 by the time the deal ends like a Chris Paul.

Curry will be 33 the year of his last contract. Klay will also be 33 at the end of his contract. Draymond Green will be...yes you guessed it, 33 in the last year of his contract.

I think that's a fair assessment to say that would be just outside their primes.

But outside of the PRIME age issue, I agree with you completely.

The Warriors have their work cut out for them if they want to be considered in that Spurs longevity category. The Warriors have not done well in building for the future throughout their run, while the Spurs always drafted well. They hit on key guys at the right time and used them to their full advantage. They found Stephen Jackson who was playing overseas. They turned a guy like Jonathan Simmons into a quality player for them. Hitting on Dejounte Murray, Patty Mills, Derrick White, George Hill, Danny Green, Bruce Bowen, etc. kept them in it for years.

Hopefully this crop of rookies will provide something for the Warriors. If just one of them turns out to be a started level player, that's a huge bonus for the team. I think Paschall has the most ability to be an impact player right away. I think Jordan Poole will be a 6th man type, combo guard scorer off the bench. Dude can get buckets, it's evident. Smailagic is the wild card. He's got some really great skills, and he's done well against D-League competition, but we'll have to see if that develops further.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh- i didnt equivocate a 5 year window with a 3 year window...right
I'm at work so I'll elaborate later. You missed the point, the last Spurs title their big 3 was pretty old. The model is similar.

Also you used 'equivocate' wrong. Weak sauce from a lawyer

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm at work so I'll elaborate later. You missed the point, the last Spurs title their big 3 was pretty old. The model is similar.

Also you used 'equivocate' wrong. Weak sauce from a lawyer
what i said in my response is that the Spurs continued to develop/trade for young talent that they did a great job developing.

You certainly cannot say the same about the Warriors the last few years.

The Spurs had guys like Kawhi, etc. start to take lead roles. I havent seen anything like that from the Warriors.

I mean- i gueess they just did pay Russell 25M a year to TRY and do that- but we shall see.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what i said in my response is that the Spurs continued to develop/trade for young talent that they did a great job developing.

You certainly cannot say the same about the Warriors the last few years.

The Spurs had guys like Kawhi, etc. start to take lead roles. I havent seen anything like that from the Warriors.

I mean- i gueess they just did pay Russell 25M a year to TRY and do that- but we shall see.
The Ws didn't NEED to do that, they were riding the KD dynasty. Yes it would have helped if some of them hit, as CitySushi notes. You're basically saying what I did in the OP.

Now the model is different. Will it work? Who knows. But the idea is a good one and they have the core and coach and owner and front office to try. As a fan, it's exciting.

The Warriors chances of winning a title in the next 5 years is definitely higher than the Cavs though

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ws didn't NEED to do that, they were riding the KD dynasty. Yes it would have helped if some of them hit, as CitySushi notes. You're basically saying what I did in the OP.

Now the model is different. Will it work? Who knows. But the idea is a good one and they have the core and coach and owner and front office to try. As a fan, it's exciting.

The Warriors chances of winning a title in the next 5 years is definitely higher than the Cavs though
Next 2 years I'd say no doubt. Maybe 3. After that it's anyone's guess.

Coach? All we know about him is when he has more talent he can succeed. Can he under different circumstances? Guess we'll find out (and don't blame you for being excited to find out).

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next 2 years I'd say no doubt. Maybe 3. After that it's anyone's guess.

Coach? All we know about him is when he has more talent he can succeed. Can he under different circumstances? Guess we'll find out (and don't blame you for being excited to find out).
Well sure, no one knows the future
But I stand by it. I doubt Cleveland wins another for decades, I believe you once agreed with that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sure, no one knows the future
But I stand by it. I doubt Cleveland wins another for decades, I believe you once agreed with that.
I don't think they will either, but I'd also bet against GS winning one anytime soon once this ride is over. Question is when will it end. Besides the current rides of GS and the Cavs that ended has GS really been that much more successful than the Cavs? I'd say not at all.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they will either, but I'd also bet against GS winning one anytime soon once this ride is over. Question is when will it end. Besides the current rides of GS and the Cavs that ended has GS really been that much more successful than the Cavs? I'd say not at all.
"But besides that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

Snark aside, the Warriors did win a title before this run, and won a couple more way back when. The Run TMC era they were pretty good, but so were the Brad Daugherty era Cavs

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure...

Klay will be 30 next year and just signed a 5 year deal

Curry will be 32 next year and has a massive contract

draymond has already started to regress and just signed a 4 year extension.

by the end of those contracts- especially as they get bigger and bigger- there is going to be some major dead weight.

In 2-3 years the CAvs will have a ton of young guys with some good experience udner the belt, plenty of extra picks/assets/young players, and tons of cap flexibility--- right when the Warriors get top heavy and have to go into their own rebuild.

I can say with a lot of confidence that 3-4 years from now the Cavs will be in much better shape going forward- and i would say that its unlikely Golden State wins in before than anyway

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think the Spurs thought they NEEDED to get Kawhi Leonard- or even had any clue they were getting a big time player when they signed him

I have yet to see the franchise that says--- well we dont NEED a great young player so lets not actively try for one.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Curry finish top 3 in the MVP voting this year?

My guess would be a resounding NO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"But besides that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

Snark aside, the Warriors did win a title before this run, and won a couple more way back when. The Run TMC era they were pretty good, but so were the Brad Daugherty era Cavs
wasn't the title in the 70s?. A title is better of course, but at this point no more impressive than a Finals' appearance this millenium.

wish it ended in a title, but the Daugherty era was my favorite Cavalier teams.

Not the same as blood clots, obviously, but like Bosh Daugherty had to get out much sooner than he should have. My guess is he was a lot younger than most would think if they didn't already know.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't the title in the 70s?. A title is better of course, but at this point no more impressive than a Finals' appearance this millenium.

wish it ended in a title, but the Daugherty era was my favorite Cavalier teams.

Not the same as blood clots, obviously, but like Bosh Daugherty had to get out much sooner than he should have. My guess is he was a lot younger than most would think if they didn't already know.
That Cavs era could have been crazy if not for (i) injuries, and of course (ii) some asshole named Michael Jordan

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Cavs era could have been crazy if not for (i) injuries, and of course (ii) some asshole named Michael Jordan
too bad we weren't in the weaker West?

Fun team to watch. Unselfish players. Could all shoot and were willing passers. Even Nance and Hot Rod developed a quality 15-18 foot shot they could rely on.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think the Spurs thought they NEEDED to get Kawhi Leonard- or even had any clue they were getting a big time player when they signed him

I have yet to see the franchise that says--- well we dont NEED a great young player so lets not actively try for one.
Me neither. Since that's not what I said, or the Warriors said.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too bad we weren't in the weaker West?

Fun team to watch. Unselfish players. Could all shoot and were willing passers. Even Nance and Hot Rod developed a quality 15-18 foot shot they could rely on.
Price and DAughterty were a helluva NBA JAM squad.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure...

Klay will be 30 next year and just signed a 5 year deal

Curry will be 32 next year and has a massive contract

draymond has already started to regress and just signed a 4 year extension.

by the end of those contracts- especially as they get bigger and bigger- there is going to be some major dead weight.

In 2-3 years the CAvs will have a ton of young guys with some good experience udner the belt, plenty of extra picks/assets/young players, and tons of cap flexibility--- right when the Warriors get top heavy and have to go into their own rebuild.

I can say with a lot of confidence that 3-4 years from now the Cavs will be in much better shape going forward- and i would say that its unlikely Golden State wins in before than anyway
I think you're wrong on both counts but that's what makes it fun. I enjoyed knowing the Warriors would get to the Finals every year, but now it's more interesting