• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warriors 2.0: from Showtime Lakers to the Spurs

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, bear with me, just back from a nice run at the poker room and pretty high on cannabis. But this is my real opinion, heard this on local radio, makes a lot of sense.

Signing Draymond solidifies the model the Warriors are going for here. They obviously are no longer the 300 pound gorilla dominant team that they just were. Like the 90s Bulls and Showtime Lakers, they were one of the top 5 (top 3?) best teams of all time, and everyone knew it, and every year they were expected to be in the Finals.

Those days are obviously over. So now they have the core of Curry, Thompson, and Green signed up long term. They do not expect them to be as good as they age, but they will be the core. The model is the Spurs, who were never the big dog gorilla team that everyone feared at the start of the year, they were just excellent and contenders year after year. Never got to back to back Finals (let alone won back to back).

Spurs had their core 3 (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker), Warriors have theirs. Spurs had Pop. Warriors have Kerr, a Pop disciple and, if his back holds up, can be expected to be around a while. He's not some angry intense yelling coach who wears players out. Like the Spurs, to make this work the Ws will need their own Kawhi, a young talent who catalyzes the vets. Is it D'Angelo? Maybe maybe not. But over the next 5 years I think the Warriors have as good a shot as any at winning another ring, maybe two. The core guys are middle aged not old. Jordan was just hitting his stride at 30 as far as rings.

So that's what's up... :2cents:

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"cannabis" lol

Ok, gramps

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, bear with me, just back from a nice run at the poker room and pretty high on cannabis. But this is my real opinion, heard this on local radio, makes a lot of sense.

Signing Draymond solidifies the model the Warriors are going for here. They obviously are no longer the 300 pound gorilla dominant team that they just were. Like the 90s Bulls and Showtime Lakers, they were one of the top 5 (top 3?) best teams of all time, and everyone knew it, and every year they were expected to be in the Finals.

Those days are obviously over. So now they have the core of Curry, Thompson, and Green signed up long term. They do not expect them to be as good as they age, but they will be the core. The model is the Spurs, who were never the big dog gorilla team that everyone feared at the start of the year, they were just excellent and contenders year after year. Never got to back to back Finals (let alone won back to back).

Spurs had their core 3 (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker), Warriors have theirs. Spurs had Pop. Warriors have Kerr, a Pop disciple and, if his back holds up, can be expected to be around a while. He's not some angry intense yelling coach who wears players out. Like the Spurs, to make this work the Ws will need their own Kawhi, a young talent who catalyzes the vets. Is it D'Angelo? Maybe maybe not. But over the next 5 years I think the Warriors have as good a shot as any at winning another ring, maybe two. The core guys are middle aged not old. Jordan was just hitting his stride at 30 as far as rings.

It is amazing to me how many people want to rule the Warriors out.

I am not even ruling them out this season.

Because they can get to the playoffs, and if healthy once there, they are capable of beating anybody even though they won’t be favorites.

I do think they need to address perimeter depth and I am not sure Dlo is their guy long term. Otherwise though, crazy to write off this core. I would give them about a 50% to win another title at some point with their big 3.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,771.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Devil's Lettuce is bad......mmmmkay?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because they can get to the playoffs, and if healthy once there, they are capable of beating anybody even though they won’t be favorites.

I do think they need to address perimeter depth and I am not sure Dlo is their guy long term. Otherwise though, crazy to write off this core. I would give them about a 50% to win another title at some point with their big 3.

I need to see how Dlo fits with them. Also problem is their bench is still pretty trash but yeah I would hate to play this team in round 1 as a higher seed assuming Klay comes back playing like his old self

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to see how Dlo fits with them. Also problem is their bench is still pretty trash but yeah I would hate to play this team in round 1 as a higher seed assuming Klay comes back playing like his old self

I honestly don’t think he will fit that well.

But, I also think he can pretty easily be traded for a 3 and D wing and a couple other pieces to address depth if he doesn’t fit.

Minnesota really wanted Dlo and he is close with Townes.

If it isn’t working in GS, Dlo + a small unimportant contract for Covington, Teague and Okogie would be the type of deal GS should look at.

Either Dlo will make them better or they can get some quality depth by moving him.

It would be a mistake, IMO, to make a 1 for 1 trade though. Because GS doesn’t need another star. They need quality depth and a younger replacement for Iggy.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Attachments

• 87c424fd-d3e8-409b-9a7b-dc4f11c684bf.jpg
    87c424fd-d3e8-409b-9a7b-dc4f11c684bf.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, and? your point?

i was calling him "gramps" because the context of his use of the word "cannabis". it struck me as funny.

My point is you're trying to make a joke about the word cannabis. Just showing you 2 examples of products that can be purchased in any marijuana dispensary here in CO. that say cannabis on them.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is you're trying to make a joke about the word cannabis. Just showing you 2 examples of products that can be purchased in any marijuana dispensary here in CO. that say cannabis on them.

ok, whatever. moving on.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No doubt you're still high if you think they can win 2 in the next 5 years. This year they won't be winning anything so you actually have only 4 years. With their ages, wear and tear from deep playoff runs, and injuries adding up the W's core is getting worse defensively. It was their underrated defense that was a huge reason why they won 3 during their dynasty. Adding D'lo doesn't help their defense so like you said he'll probably go, not sure you get the value you want out of him in a trade, though. Look what OKC got back for Paul George, a bunch of mid level picks, how embarrassing. Moreover, the West just got stronger with the Clippers becoming a juggernaut overnight with 2 stars both younger than Curry and similar age to Klay and Draymond. Needless to say that they will be a formidable opponent during those 5 years. The Lakers just acquired a young top 7 talent in AD that they can build around for another decade. Portland, Utah and the Nuggets are burgeoning contenders with outstanding young cores. If Houston can get Westbrook and Harden to gel then you have Houston with their excellent role players being a force another 5 years. TBH, the next 5 years look rather bleak for the Ws with all things considered. If I were you I would set lower goals like getting passed the second round or winning the first round next year. It's gonna be difficult for W's fans to start eating hamburger again for the next 5 years when they being dining on Lobster and Steak for the last 5 years but that's the price of having a dynasty, they all fall eventually and they take forever to create another one. But keep getting high and whistling in the dark, if it helps.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't think you can count out the Warriors because they lost KD. They still have the core that won their first title.

Their bench isn't as strong. But as others have pointed out, they also have an avenue to strengthen it with the addition of D-Lo.

They probably don't win the title this season because of how late Klay will likely be back and it'll be difficult to strengthen their bench because they probably will want to hang on to D-Lo until they see what Klay has when he's back.

But I think that this core is still young enough that they could win a couple of titles before their run is truly over.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't think you can count out the Warriors because they lost KD. They still have the core that won their first title.

Their bench isn't as strong. But as others have pointed out, they also have an avenue to strengthen it with the addition of D-Lo.

They probably don't win the title this season because of how late Klay will likely be back and it'll be difficult to strengthen their bench because they probably will want to hang on to D-Lo until they see what Klay has when he's back.

But I think that this core is still young enough that they could win a couple of titles before their run is truly over.

LOL...2 more titles? Not happening. By some small miracle they may win 1 more.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems fair. If it isn't DLo, perhaps it's someone they move DLo for?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Assuming Klay healthy for playoffs I agree......that core did pretty well in 2015.

I'm sure losing Iggy hurts but DLo could offset that.....better on O, though not the D Iggy provided.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"cannabis" lol

Ok, gramps

Well, I was distinguishing between smoking actual weed which I hardly do anymore and vaping or eating edibles, which are much safer and more pleasant and gloriously legal here in CA.

But yeah I've been getting high since 1986. It's a Jewish thing. We tend to smoke more than drink.