• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warriors 2.0: from Showtime Lakers to the Spurs

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what's desperate about it. At best, D-Lo is a good fit and helps the Warriors keep their heads above water until Klay gets back. If he fits well enough, maybe they can keep him longer.

At worst, he's an asset they can trade around the deadline or in the off-season to address any needs.
at worst he is a big contract that cant be traded

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel I must apologize to @WiggyRuss. I misquoted him.

He did not say he would fly to the moon.

He said he would fly to Mars.

My bad.
well i was wrong about the 8 points but i was definitely not wrong about him being a shitty player

That is, unless good players get back to back 1 year contracts for a combined amount of less than 9 million dollars. LOL

no one wanted McGee because he sucks

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i was wrong about the 8 points but i was definitely not wrong about him being a shitty player

That is, unless good players get back to back 1 year contracts for a combined amount of less than 9 million dollars. LOL

no one wanted McGee because he sucks

lol, I'd say your account of him being "shitty" is a tad inaccurate...

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, I'd say your account of him being "shitty" is a tad inaccurate...

I'll tell you some people that are "shitty". Hassan Whiteside, Pat Riley & LeBron (but not until he left the Cavs again).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I can't wait to get home & watch dodgeball on espn 8 the ocho. espn2 is airing all sorts of weird stuff today.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see how DLo is a good pickup for the W’s. He got a max contract that will tie up cap space preventing the W’s from signing any free agents without moving him. If they end up moving him, the W’s won’t get any value for him, probably a trade package similar to what OKC offered the Clippers for PG. In essence, the real value will come in the form of cap space. With the 2020 free agency class, expected to be abysmal who are they going to sign? The W’s will have to wait another year to get a player to replace DLo while the core of Curry, Klay and Draymond gets older and the young cores of Denver, Utah and Portland develop and get stronger. The only way this DLo experiment works for the W’s is if DLo is a perennial all-star that gels with the W’s core. I really don’t see that happening, though. TBH, I think he’s your typical player who came up big when it was a contact year. We’ve seen this many times that a player plays extraordinary well when free agency looms but regresses to the mean (as Wiggy stated) once he gets his big pay day. I’m sorry W’s fans, it seemed like a good gamble at the time but upon further analysis, you guys are going to be screwed.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see how DLo is a good pickup for the W’s. He got a max contract that will tie up cap space preventing the W’s from signing any free agents without moving him. If they end up moving him, the W’s won’t get any value for him, probably a trade package similar to what OKC offered the Clippers for PG. In essence, the real value will come in the form of cap space. With the 2020 free agency class, expected to be abysmal who are they going to sign? The W’s will have to wait another year to get a player to replace DLo while the core of Curry, Klay and Draymond gets older and the young cores of Denver, Utah and Portland develop and get stronger. The only way this DLo experiment works for the W’s is if DLo is a perennial all-star that gels with the W’s core. I really don’t see that happening, though. TBH, I think he’s your typical player who came up big when it was a contact year. We’ve seen this many times that a player plays extraordinary well when free agency looms but regresses to the mean (as Wiggy stated) once he gets his big pay day. I’m sorry W’s fans, it seemed like a good gamble at the time but upon further analysis, you guys are going to be screwed.

The part you don't get is the Warriors don't and will not have any cap space for the forseeable future. So the "only" penalty the Warriors really have is that they have to actually pay D'Lo.

Curry, Klay and now Draymond are all on max extensions. Those three themselves nearly put the Warriors over the cap.

It's a great move because there's absolutely no way for the Warriors to get that caliber of player in free agency until the contracts of Curry, Klay or Draymond expire. It's why the move is legit because it basically created cap space for the Warriors by completing the trade. The only alternative to the Warriors getting better is by using the MLE and/or veteran contracts and by the draft. They have no way to put themselves in a position to have cap space to go after any free agents, BEFORE D'Lo was traded for.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But with GS way over the cap it was take DLo or sign minimum salary guys. If Lacob is willing to spend the money cannot really call it a bad deal.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But with GS way over the cap it was take DLo or sign minimum salary guys. If Lacob is willing to spend the money cannot really call it a bad deal.

THIS.

What's really the worst case scenario here? Say D'Lo bombs out and just completely flat lines his value. Then essentially the Warriors have the exact same team they would have had without him, except the Warriors ownership group just pays a lot more money. From a cap perspective to sign players, it basically does nothing. With or without D'Lo, their situation is exactly the same. Sign and MLE, minimum contract or draft players. That's it.

The only difference here is how much out of pocket expense is incurred by Lacob.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I can't wait to get home & watch dodgeball on espn 8 the ocho. espn2 is airing all sorts of weird stuff today.

1hUUFbRLGWSdmsVtrQG9Wlw.png

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree completely. DLo, even if he only lasts a few months with the Warriors, was essentially a free "all-star" throw-in for Durant, who they easily could've received nothing for in exchange. The Warriors did as well as they could in that circumstance and now have either a high-dollar trade chip, or a quality player for the Warriors to absorb and adjust their game around, especially with Klay out for at least half the season. If he doesn't work out? He's still young enough that the contract is easily movable for multiple role players. It's a move clearly worth a shot, when they really had no shot to take otherwise.

My biggest question is why the Nets decided to help the Warriors, the annual overwhelming favorite. Is everyone in the NBA buddy-buddy now, all the way up to the front offices? (Except when the Lakers are involved, of course lol).

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part you don't get is the Warriors don't and will not have any cap space for the forseeable future. So the "only" penalty the Warriors really have is that they have to actually pay D'Lo.

Curry, Klay and now Draymond are all on max extensions. Those three themselves nearly put the Warriors over the cap.

It's a great move because there's absolutely no way for the Warriors to get that caliber of player in free agency until the contracts of Curry, Klay or Draymond expire. It's why the move is legit because it basically created cap space for the Warriors by completing the trade. The only alternative to the Warriors getting better is by using the MLE and/or veteran contracts and by the draft. They have no way to put themselves in a position to have cap space to go after any free agents, BEFORE D'Lo was traded for.

What happens if DLo regresses badly or gets injured and nobody wants to take on his max contact? TBH, I think the guy is pretty overrated.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if DLo regresses badly or gets injured and nobody wants to take on his max contact? TBH, I think the guy is pretty overrated.

Then the Warriors are stuck with his contract and cap-wise, in the same exact position they would be if they didn't have him. The only thing again is basically out of pocket expenses for the ownership. It wouldn't have any affect on the ability to upgrade the roster because again there's no cap space with or without D'Lo's contract. Remember it was a sign and trade and not an outright signing. The Warriors didn't have the cap space to sign D'Lo in the first place and after the extensions to Klay and Draymond (which we all knew were coming after Durant left), they wouldn't have any cap space in the future.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then other than Lacob spending a ton of money they are exactly where they are talent wise as if they never got him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What are the odds of an ascending player suddenly regressing on a much better team? Doubtful. Overrated most likely, but he is still improving each year.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree completely. DLo, even if he only lasts a few months with the Warriors, was essentially a free "all-star" throw-in for Durant, who they easily could've received nothing for in exchange. The Warriors did as well as they could in that circumstance and now have either a high-dollar trade chip, or a quality player for the Warriors to absorb and adjust their game around, especially with Klay out for at least half the season. If he doesn't work out? He's still young enough that the contract is easily movable for multiple role players. It's a move clearly worth a shot, when they really had no shot to take otherwise.

My biggest question is why the Nets decided to help the Warriors, the annual overwhelming favorite. Is everyone in the NBA buddy-buddy now, all the way up to the front offices? (Except when the Lakers are involved, of course lol).
Then the Warriors are stuck with his contract and cap-wise, in the same exact position they would be if they didn't have him. The only thing again is basically out of pocket expenses for the ownership. It wouldn't have any affect on the ability to upgrade the roster because again there's no cap space with or without D'Lo's contract. Remember it was a sign and trade and not an outright signing. The Warriors didn't have the cap space to sign D'Lo in the first place and after the extensions to Klay and Draymond (which we all knew were coming after Durant left), they wouldn't have any cap space in the future.

Salary expenses could be huge. Let’s say you have a young player who develops who you want to give a big contract to, you may be inclined to hesitate because of the luxury tax impact especially if your team isn’t playing well. I’m of the philosophy that you don’t makes moves like you have endless amounts of funds. If you do you end up still paying for Luol Deng even when he’s not on your team like the Lakers.