• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vote for up to 5 NBA franchises to join the Lakers and Celtics as the top 7 most storied teams in NBA history.

Pick up to 5 teams to join the Lakers and Celtics as most storied NBA franchises.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised the Warriors are doing this well. I thought that the long period of futility would hurt them, but I guess it hasn't, at least not here in the Hoop. If you go on reddit, the prevailing opinion seems to be that the Warriors history sucks.
Robo I'm baffled by your take on them. First of all the futility was a while ago, recency bias would in fact make the Ws overrated. But they aren't overrated, they have the 3rd most titles in NBA history, and unlike the Bulls theirs are in many eras including the first one. They also have tons of storied players.

Honestly the Warriors are the next most storied team after the big 2, in terms of success in many eras, iconic players, number of titles, etc. Maybe the Bulls are as important too. But no other team listed is.

One thing we know if Reddit says it, the opposite is probably true. This isn't homerism. We root for an iconic franchise (just below the 2 biggies)

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
". . .

One thing we know if Reddit says it, the opposite is probably true. . . ."

You're almost certainly right about this. Or, we could say that reddit is mostly the takes of young people who don't have enough historical perspective yet.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robo I'm baffled by your take on them. First of all the futility was a while ago, recency bias would in fact make the Ws overrated. But they aren't overrated, they have the 3rd most titles in NBA history, and unlike the Bulls theirs are in many eras including the first one. They also have tons of storied players.

Honestly the Warriors are the next most storied team after the big 2, in terms of success in many eras, iconic players, number of titles, etc. Maybe the Bulls are as important too. But no other team listed is.

One thing we know if Reddit says it, the opposite is probably true. This isn't homerism. We root for an iconic franchise (just below the 2 biggies)

You have convinced me that the Warriors are up there. For the Bulls, I didn't need convincing because Jordan is just simply that great, and I don't even really like the man. LOL. It's just that most of the stories you read about him make him sound like an abusive madman. But I guess that's part of the reason why he was such a great player, and we have to take the great with the bad.

I also rank the Spurs very highly because of that 20 year run. You and I root for another team that had a run like that (Niners from 1981 to 1998, from Montana's first full year as starter until Steve Young's last full season). Both Spurs and Niners won 5 titles during that long period of success. Spurs had 18 seasons of 50 or more wins, while Niners had an incredible 16 straight seasons of 10 wins or more. Plus, both the Spurs and Niners laid a groundwork for future teams with their innovations and the coaching trees of Greg Popovich and Bill Walsh. Neither team won titles outside of that 20 (or near 20) year time period, but they both left indelible marks on their respective sports and they're way up there in the storied franchise rankings in my mind.

Last edited:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have convinced me that the Warriors are up there. For the Bulls, I didn't need convincing because Jordan is just simply that great, and I don't even really like the man. LOL. It's just that most of the stories you read about him make him sound like an abusive madman. But I guess that's part of the reason why he was such a great player, and we have to take the great with the bad.

I also rank the Spurs very highly because of that 20 year run. You and I root for another team that had a run like that (Niners from 1981 to 1998, from Montana's first full year as starter until Steve Young's last full season). Both Spurs and Niners won 5 titles during that long period of success. Spurs had 18 seasons of 50 or more wins, while Niners had an incredible 16 straight seasons of 10 wins or more. Plus, both the Spurs and Niners laid a groundwork for future teams with their innovations and the coaching trees of Greg Popovich and Bill Walsh. Neither team won titles outside of that 20 (or near 20) year time period, but they both left indelible marks on their respective sports and they're way up there in the storied franchise rankings in my mind.
Actually I'm not a football fan really, and the team I root for is the Raiders. But I do like when the Niners do well, makes the city happy LOL

And yes if you're doing the football list the Niners are on it.

Probably for the NFL it's Packers, Bears, Patriots, Niners, Giants, then a step below would be Raiders, Broncos, Dolphins, Chiefs maybe?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I'm not a football fan really, and the team I root for is the Raiders. But I do like when the Niners do well, makes the city happy LOL

I think you and I are two of the few Jimmy G defenders, so I made an assumption about you. LOL.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And yes if you're doing the football list the Niners are on it.

Probably for the NFL it's Packers, Bears, Patriots, Niners, Giants, then a step below would be Raiders, Broncos, Dolphins, Chiefs maybe?

I already did the football one. Check out the NFL board. Next one will be MLB.

Packers ended up in 1st place, closely followed by the Steelers. Cowboys 3rd place. Niners and Pats tied for 4th place. Bears 6th place. Raiders 8th place.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you and I are two of the few Jimmy G defenders, so I made an assumption about you. LOL.
Eh, I just don't hate Jimmy the way others do. But I'm more in the middle (fits my tendency to moderation/centrism). He's a solid QB, not very good, not bad.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already did the football one. Check out the NFL board. Next one will be MLB.
I hardly ever go there (not a big football guy), who made the list?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hardly ever go there (not a big football guy), who made the list?

Me. I did pretty much the same thing there that I did here: initial thread for nominations and then a follow-up poll. Not as many nominees for the NBA poll, though. Not as many storied franchises in the NBA compared to the NFL.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me. I did pretty much the same thing there that I did here: initial thread for nominations and then a follow-up poll.
LOL no I mean, which teams made the list....

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I just don't hate Jimmy the way others do. But I'm more in the middle (fits my tendency to moderation/centrism). He's a solid QB, not very good, not bad.

Yeah, I'm pretty moderate/centrist, too. Extreme takes are usually wrong.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised the Warriors are doing this well. I thought that the long period of futility would hurt them, but I guess it hasn't, at least not here in the Hoop. If you go on reddit, the prevailing opinion seems to be that the Warriors history sucks.

I think that folks forget that the Warriors were in philly until 1962. So what they think of as Sixers history, is actually Warriors history. The Warriors teams from that era would likely have more titles, but they had the same problem as the Lakers of that era. Auerbachs Celtics.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that folks forget that the Warriors were in philly until 1962. So what they think of as Sixers history, is actually Warriors history. The Warriors teams from that era would likely have more titles, but they had the same problem as the Lakers of that era. Auerbachs Celtics.

I had never heard of that before. LOL. But I guess Philly has had so many pro sports franchises come and go that it can become confusing.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had never heard of that before. LOL. But I guess Philly has had so many pro sports franchises come and go that it can become confusing.
And the Sixers came from Syracuse, that's why the get to count the Nationals title from 1955 as one of their three.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sacha baron cohen puppy dog eyes GIF

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say Packers, Bears, Niners, Patriots, Giants, Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins, Chiefs....but could also make a case for Broncos and Redskins

Nice list. I picked 8 of the same teams, but I have Browns and Colts in over Dolphins and Chiefs. With Mahomes, Chiefs definitely have a great chance to rise up the storied franchise rankings in the near future.

I wonder if an MLB poll is even worth doing. In my mind, the storied franchises are the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, Cardinals, Tigers, A's, Reds, Braves and Pirates. Yankees are in their own tier. Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, and Cardinals are in the next tier. Tigers, A's, Braves, Reds, and Pirates are in the third and last tier. Maybe it will be fun just to hear people argue over whether the teams in the third tier are truly storied or not.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice list. I picked 8 of the same teams, but I have Browns and Colts in over Dolphins and Chiefs. With Mahomes, Chiefs definitely have a great chance to rise up the storied franchise rankings in the near future.

I wonder if an MLB poll is even worth doing. In my mind, the storied franchises are the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, Cardinals, Tigers, A's, Reds, Braves and Pirates. Yankees are in their own tier. Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, and Cardinals are in the next tier. Tigers, A's, Braves, Reds, and Pirates are in the third and last tier. Maybe it will be fun just to hear people argue over whether the teams in the third tier are truly storied or not.
I mean, the Browns are 'storied' for suckage (except the 1950s) while the Dolphins have had much more recent success including, of course, 17-0

But obviously there's no 'right' answers after the obvious first few.

And yeah, MLB there's less to argue about really.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the Browns are 'storied' for suckage (except the 1950s) while the Dolphins have had much more recent success including, of course, 17-0

But obviously there's no 'right' answers after the obvious first few.

And yeah, MLB there's less to argue about really.

In my mind, the Browns are an iconic team, but yeah, it's been a long while since they were dominant. Paul Brown was an important innovator, though, and there is a connection between him and Bill Walsh. Also, many people list Jim Brown as the greatest football player ever.