• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Besides the Lakers and Celtics, who are the storied NBA franchises?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, you can't leave out the Patriots. They're NFL royalty now despite not having much of a good history to point to prior to 2000. They've done so much since.

It's largely limited to one era under one coach though, so royalty is still in question IMO, just like the Warriors and Bulls. After Kerr/Curry who knows, the Warriors could be irrelevant for another 20 years. All depends on what the criteria is. For me, to be a storied franchise, they need to be relevant in multiple eras, unless there is some other historical significance such as being an original team when the league started.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's largely limited to one era under one coach though, so royalty is still in question IMO, just like the Warriors and Bulls. After Kerr/Curry who knows, the Warriors could be irrelevant for another 20 years. All depends on what the criteria is. For me, to be a storied franchise, they need to be relevant in multiple eras, unless there is some other historical significance such as being an original team when the league started.

Just too hard to ignore that they have the most Super Bowl wins. I know there was a pre-Super Bowl era, but it sure seems like most people give the titles won in that era much less weight.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting topic. I think it comes down to how one defines "storied".

Is it titles?

I think most consider the Knicks "storied". But they have 2 titles in their history and none since 1973. So there are several teams that have more titles, but aren't considered storied.

Is it teams that you can't tell the story of the NBA without including them?

You can't tell the story of the NBA without MJ's Bulls. But with their success basically being crammed into an 8 year window...can they be considered storied?

Guess I'll go with Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Sixers for now.
Storied as in historical bad over it's existence? If the weren't located in NYC
1655567718679.png

Then they'd be as big of nobodies as there is
Nope only the Lakers and Celtics deserve the title of storied franchise

I was told last night that the Warriors have now one the 3rd most NBA titles and I wouldn't refer to them as storied

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Storied as in historical bad over it's existence? If the weren't located in NYC
View attachment 299471

Then they'd be as big of nobodies as there is
Nope only the Lakers and Celtics deserve the title of storied franchise

I was told last night that the Warriors have now one the 3rd most NBA titles and I wouldn't refer to them as storied

Yes the Warriors now have the 3rd most titles in league history. Seven total. 1947, '56, '75, '15, '17, '18 & '22.

Do you consider the Bulls storied?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the Warriors now have the 3rd most titles in league history. Seven total. 1947, '56, '75, '15, '17, '18 & '22.

Do you consider the Bulls storied?
I'd consider Michael Jordon to be storied but no not really.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess to me, it depends on what ones definition of storied is. I don't necessarily consider championships as being that important.

Storied, to me, is more about there being a lot to talk about with a franchise. Essentially, a lot of ''stories'' to tell about that franchise, it's players, coaches and owners. A rabid fan base that remembers and passes those stories along helps too.

If you don't discuss championships, you can still spend hours talking about the players, great games, great rivalries, etc. with the Lakers and Celtics.

You can do the same with the Sixers with the likes of Wilt, Dr. J, Daryl Dawkins, etc. and the Knicks with Reed, Frazier, Ewing, Spike Lee's fandom and Riley's years. There are plenty of great games, etc. to talk about with both teams as well.
The Knicks shouldn't be added. The are at best a bad horror story that more puts you to sleep than gives you nightmares. If they weren't in NYC they would be the Timberwolves, just been around long enough that a couple rings fell in their lap in days only the oldest here can remember.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd consider Michael Jordon to be storied but no not really.

Well MJ's the GOAT. He was so good he's in his own category.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well MJ's the GOAT. He was so good he's in his own category.
I'll leave that to the more hardcore BB fans to decide. For me it's Wilt

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll leave that to the more hardcore BB fans to decide. For me it's Wilt

Wilt will always be a legend. He did things on the court no other player will ever do. What was it, 50 & 25 in a season? Just insane.