• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Besides the Lakers and Celtics, who are the storied NBA franchises?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No expansion teams.
Almost everyone was an expansion team at one time or another.
Or are only these teams qualified?
The original 11 NBA teams were: Bostons Celtics, Cleveland Rebels, Chicago Stags, Detroit Falcons, New York Knickerbockers, Pittsburgh Ironmen, Philadelphia Warriors, Providence Steamrollers, St Louis Bombers, Toronto Huskies and Washington Capitols

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original 11 NBA teams were: Bostons Celtics, Cleveland Rebels, Chicago Stags, Detroit Falcons, New York Knickerbockers, Pittsburgh Ironmen, Philadelphia Warriors, Providence Steamrollers, St Louis Bombers, Toronto Huskies and Washington Capitols
I just feel it's kind a hard to be "storied" when you've only been around for 30 years

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just feel it's kind a hard to be "storied" when you've only been around for 30 years
But okay to be storied if you haven't won anything in 40+ years and then only two in short order?

I just think that they have done enough: won a ring pre-LeBron, with LeBron, and made the finals post LeBron and they are the key example used in the superteam era of player collusion. Sure, the teams is young, but as the league moves forward they will always be a key part in the NBA story.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But okay to be storied if you haven't won anything in 40+ years and then only two in short order?

I just think that they have done enough: won a ring pre-LeBron, with LeBron, and made the finals post LeBron and they are the key example used in the superteam era of player collusion. Sure, the teams is young, but as the league moves forward they will always be a key part in the NBA story.
I remember similar arguments popping up for the Patriots during the NFL discussion. Kinda hard to leave them out now due to Brady and the last 20 years.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember similar arguments popping up for the Patriots during the NFL discussion. Kinda hard to leave them out now due to Brady and the last 20 years.

Yup, you can't leave out the Patriots. They're NFL royalty now despite not having much of a good history to point to prior to 2000. They've done so much since.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus, the heat provided maybe my all time favorite nba moment: Jeff Van Gundy being used as a floor mop.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that "no one" could beat any of Jordan teams. As it actually occurred when they faced other elite teams. Now I will say the 95 96 Bulls team is probably the best team ever but to say no one could beat them is inaccurate to me.

Thats where I take issue with the Jordan narrative.

Oops, I don’t know why I added the Bulls in that last sentence. I meant to stick with the Patriots there. My post was about how teams DID beat the Bulls in a best of seven all but 6 times, just not in the Finals… and then I go add them to that sentence.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In that case, I’ll go with Boston Celtics, Chicago Stags, Detroit Falcons, Philadelphia Warriors, New York Knickerbockers, and Washington Capitols. Top 1/5 of league, though 19 didn’t qualify.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting topic. I think it comes down to how one defines "storied".

Is it titles?

I think most consider the Knicks "storied". But they have 2 titles in their history and none since 1973. So there are several teams that have more titles, but aren't considered storied.

Is it teams that you can't tell the story of the NBA without including them?

You can't tell the story of the NBA without MJ's Bulls. But with their success basically being crammed into an 8 year window...can they be considered storied?

Guess I'll go with Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Sixers for now.
I think the Bulls and the Spurs would be the next two in line - Popovich changed the game with how he rests his players and one of the best coaches of all time.

Would the Clippers 40 year run or whatever in the toilet count as a story? lol

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bulls and the Spurs would be the next two in line - Popovich changed the game with how he rests his players and one of the best coaches of all time.

Would the Clippers 40 year run or whatever in the toilet count as a story? lol

Maaaaybe the Spurs. They had a long 20 year run and one of the best coaches in history. The problem for them is that they are such a buttoned up, quiet franchise that people forget about them. Hard to be storied when no one talks about you. lol

The Bulls have an 8 year run, other than that, they've been pretty irrelevant. Even in MJ's early years, he and they were overshadowed by the Showtime Lakers, Birds Celtics and the Bad Boy Pistons. They also had one of the best coaches in history, but at this point, you can make a case that he's more known for his time with the Lakers than the Bulls.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maaaaybe the Spurs. They had a long 20 year run and one of the best coaches in history. The problem for them is that they are such a buttoned up, quiet franchise that people forget about them. Hard to be storied when no one talks about you. lol

The Bulls have an 8 year run, other than that, they've been pretty irrelevant. Even in MJ's early years, he and they were overshadowed by the Showtime Lakers, Birds Celtics and the Bad Boy Pistons. They also had one of the best coaches in history, but at this point, you can make a case that he's more known for his time with the Lakers than the Bulls.
And there is the reason I say there is no other teams as storied as the Lakers and the Celtics. Between the two teams, 34 championships in the last 100 years - No one else comes even remotely close

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there is the reason I say there is no other teams as storied as the Lakers and the Celtics. Between the two teams, 34 championships in the last 100 years - No one else comes even remotely close

You mean just NBA teams over the last 100 years?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we need to reach to add to the Celtics and Lakers then my earlier point in this thread remains unchallenged. You can’t force this reality. It’s Lakers and Celtics and then it’s everybody else. Sixers and Knicks have that longevity but haven’t won enough for it to get them into the conversation. It’s Lakers/Celtics and that’s it for me. You start jamming Square pegs into round holes and the whole thing falls down and has no value.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we need to reach to add to the Celtics and Lakers then my earlier point in this thread remains unchallenged. You can’t force this reality. It’s Lakers and Celtics and then it’s everybody else. Sixers and Knicks have that longevity but haven’t won enough for it to get them into the conversation. It’s Lakers/Celtics and that’s it for me. You start jamming Square pegs into round holes and the whole thing falls down and has no value.

I guess to me, it depends on what ones definition of storied is. I don't necessarily consider championships as being that important.

Storied, to me, is more about there being a lot to talk about with a franchise. Essentially, a lot of ''stories'' to tell about that franchise, it's players, coaches and owners. A rabid fan base that remembers and passes those stories along helps too.

If you don't discuss championships, you can still spend hours talking about the players, great games, great rivalries, etc. with the Lakers and Celtics.

You can do the same with the Sixers with the likes of Wilt, Dr. J, Daryl Dawkins, etc. and the Knicks with Reed, Frazier, Ewing, Spike Lee's fandom and Riley's years. There are plenty of great games, etc. to talk about with both teams as well.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess to me, it depends on what ones definition of storied is. I don't necessarily consider championships as being that important.

Storied, to me, is more about there being a lot to talk about with a franchise. Essentially, a lot of ''stories'' to tell about that franchise, it's players, coaches and owners. A rabid fan base that remembers and passes those stories along helps too.

If you don't discuss championships, you can still spend hours talking about the players, great games, great rivalries, etc. with the Lakers and Celtics.

You can do the same with the Sixers with the likes of Wilt, Dr. J, Daryl Dawkins, etc. and the Knicks with Reed, Frazier, Ewing, Spike Lee's fandom and Riley's years. There are plenty of great games, etc. to talk about with both teams as well.
Never thought of it that way. You’re a USC guy so you’ll appreciate this comparison. I was viewing it as a discussion similar in nature to the college football blue bloods. I see the perspective you’re bringing and it’s very fair. Probably like it more than mine with the way you broke down storied. Not often someone changes someone’s mind on the internet

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only to a Lakers fan: Phil will always be the Bulls coach.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only to a Lakers fan: Phil will always be the Bulls coach.
Right, if MJ is GOAT then that's the 'lead' team for him. Not to mention 6>5

depp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s the bulls easily solely because of jordan