• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vote for up to 5 NBA franchises to join the Lakers and Celtics as the top 7 most storied teams in NBA history.

Pick up to 5 teams to join the Lakers and Celtics as most storied NBA franchises.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the Browns are 'storied' for suckage (except the 1950s) while the Dolphins have had much more recent success including, of course, 17-0

But obviously there's no 'right' answers after the obvious first few.

And yeah, MLB there's less to argue about really.

Gotta disagree with saying the Browns were only good in the 50's.

Now my teams history stinks. But it's more than just one good decade.

In the 60's had 10 winning seasons. Five playoff trips. Two championship game trips. And one championship.

In the 80's had 6 winning seasons and 6 playoff trips.

After that though. Pretty much all downhill.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta disagree with saying the Browns were only good in the 50's.

Now my teams history stinks. But it's more than just one good decade.

In the 60's had 10 winning seasons. Five playoff trips. Two championship game trips. And one championship.

In the 80's had 6 winning seasons and 6 playoff trips.

After that though. Pretty much all downhill.

Yup, and with Groza, Motley, Jim Brown, Paul Brown, Otto Graham, and maybe others I'm forgetting, the Browns definitely have a lot of big time figures in their history.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, and with Groza, Motley, Jim Brown, Paul Brown, Otto Graham, and maybe others I'm forgetting, the Browns definitely have a lot of big time figures in their history.

HOFers Paul Warfield & Bobby Mitchell. Gene Hickerson. Only o-lineman I'm aware of that blocked for three HOF rb's. Motley, Brown & Mitchell.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOFers Paul Warfield & Bobby Mitchell. Gene Hickerson. Only o-lineman I'm aware of that blocked for three HOF rb's. Motley, Brown & Mitchell.

Thanks. And Ozzie Newsome, who has become a great executive after his Hall of Fame playing career. Or is he persona non grata because he carried on with the Ravens?

Last edited:

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns lost 3 times in the AFC championship to the Broncos. But yes...they've been trash for 30 years.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the Knicks being in New York I don't see how anyone could argue them over Detroit. I'd love to hear the argument.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. And Ozzie Newsome, who has become a great executive after his Hall of Fame playing career. Or is he a persona non grata because he carried on with the Ravens?

I've always been a Newsome fan. And glad he was so successful as GM of the Ravens.

I'm a Browns fans that never hated the Ravens from the get go. My issue was with that weasel Art Modell.

But I think Newsome should get in the HOF as a GM. A bunch of great draft picks. And if I remember correctly his first pick ever as GM was HOF Jonathan Oden. And his last pick was Lamar Jackson. He has always been a class act.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the Knicks being in New York I don't see how anyone could argue them over Detroit. I'd love to hear the argument.

Okay I got something for you.

Why are the Knicks better? Because they have Madison Square Garden?

That's all I got. And it's total bullshit.

I'd have to put the Pistons over them.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been a Newsome fan. And glad he was so successful as GM of the Ravens.

I'm a Browns fans that never hated the Ravens from the get go. My issue was with that weasel Art Modell.

But I think Newsome should get in the HOF as a GM. A bunch of great draft picks. And if I remember correctly his first pick ever as GM was HOF Jonathan Oden. And his last pick was Lamar Jackson. He has always been a class act.

To me the Ravens are like the Heat. Relatively young franchises, but they have had a lot of success already. Maybe the mere passage of time (like another couple of decades) will be enough for many people to consider them storied franchises.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I got something for you.

Why are the Knicks better? Because they have Madison Square Garden?

That's all I got. And it's total bullshit.

I'd have to put the Pistons over them.

I concede I will come down on the short end when it comes to the Bulls...I think Detroit over Philly also but the Knicks?

Don't get me wrong detroit has been trash for 10 years now but the Knicks are going on 2 decades of almost nothing and they had 1 MJ less finals appearance and a lockout finals appearance in my lifetime.

The Ewing teams were nice....but again..much as I see the Jazz it's like they get extra points for losing to the Bulls.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me the Ravens are like the Heat. Relatively young franchises, but they have had a lot of success already. Maybe the mere passage of time (like another couple of decades) will be enough for many people to consider them storied franchises.

Tough to call a franchise historically great when they aren't even 30 yet.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because it's the Knicks, man! The Knicks!! That's really the best I've got. It's really just the popularity difference. One team gets much more media attention than the other and of course, there is a big difference in population between Detroit and New York City.

Knicks are still storied in my mind (I have them as the 8th most storied), but yeah, I think the Pistons have a stronger case.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I concede I will come down on the short end when it comes to the Bulls...I think Detroit over Philly also but the Knicks?

Don't get me wrong detroit has been trash for 10 years now but the Knicks are going on 2 decades of almost nothing and they had 1 MJ less finals appearance and a lockout finals appearance in my lifetime.

The Ewing teams were nice....but again..much as I see the Jazz it's like they get extra points for losing to the Bulls.

I think the tiebreaker between Philly & N.Y. was a cheese steak's better than a slice of pizza.

The Pistons won't get the respect they deserves because, well because of Detroit. So they got that working against them.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Rockets history is Hakeem Olajuwon, upsetting the Lakers in '86, back-to-back titles in the '90s, Moreyball, and elite teams with Harden. Anything else to add? Anyone?

Edit: I left out Moses Malone. I always think of him as a Sixer, but maybe that's wrong.
Not sure if anyone else added this yet to your rockets, but you gotta mention Yao and NBA popularity busting into the Chinese market.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the tiebreaker between Philly & N.Y. was a cheese steak's better than a slice of pizza.

The Pistons won't get the respect they deserves because, well because of Detroit. So they got that working against them.

So far there is only one person who has voted for both the Pistons and the Knicks. The Hoop seems pretty divided on this, or is there another explanation?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far there is only one person who has voted for both the Pistons and the Knicks. The Hoop seems pretty divided on this, or is there another explanation?

I wouldn't vote for the Knicks.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Rockets history is Hakeem Olajuwon, upsetting the Lakers in '86, back-to-back titles in the '90s, Moreyball, and elite teams with Harden. Anything else to add? Anyone?

Edit: I left out Moses Malone. I always think of him as a Sixer, but maybe that's wrong.
Plus the sad story of the lost potential of Tracy mcgrady matches that of the pistons grant hill. What could have been.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pistons best teams were really hateable for everyone but Pistons fans.

I’m not surprised with the voting.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Detroit part is true, but not just because of the city. Both their great eras were base on defense and we all know that it is splashy offense that is sexy and sells.