• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Venus Williams: A Thread Appreciating a Marquee Player and Person

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venus has had an incredible career. Who even knows exactly how long Sjogern's Syndrome has affected her play, really? I'm willing to bet it's been longer than most of us know.

Regardless, she has won 7 singles majors, and 13 doubles majors for a total of 20. She truly is the Queen of Wimbledon, and one of the greatest players of all time.

But just as impressively, she has been a fierce advocate for the game of tennis, and particularly for women on tour. Her advocacy for equal prize money was based on reason and facts, and she refuted all of the wishy-washy opponents with class and a quiet but powerful dignity. She didn't just follow in the footsteps of Billie Jean King, she tread new ground and inspired a new generation of tennis players to keep up the fight.

It brought me great pleasure to see her beat Vika in Tokyo. Here's to hoping she manages to be healthy at the most opportune times in whatever time she has left on tour. It's an honor and a privilege each and every time I get to see her play.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:puke:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it because you don't like Venus, or because I got all mushy, hammer?

I've been watching Venus for 15 years now, so she has a special place in my heart. Plus, i'm drunk.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, I have never like her or Serena. I'm sure I will instantly be labeled a racist but they both annoy me. They both refuse to accept that they were beat by the better player in any given match. They make excuse after excuse for the reason they lost. They always lose because either the have a nagging injury or some other reason but never because the other girl beat them.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, I have never like her or Serena. I'm sure I will instantly be labeled a racist but they both annoy me. They both refuse to accept that they were beat by the better player in any given match. They make excuse after excuse for the reason they lost. They always lose because either the have a nagging injury or some other reason but never because the other girl beat them.

They are their father are admitted raging racists. I detest them and don't think it's fair for a couple of hybrids to compete against real women.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must hate a lot of tennis players, then.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it because you don't like Venus, or because I got all mushy, hammer?

I've been watching Venus for 15 years now, so she has a special place in my heart. Plus, i'm drunk.

No, the mush was fine. I feel my gorge rise whenever either of these two or their father are mentioned.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are their father are admitted raging racists. I detest them and don't think it's fair for a couple of hybrids to compete against real women.

Yikes.

Richard Williams chose to take a huge step back half a decade ago. I'm an avid tennis fan, and I can't remember the last time he was in the stands at a major, and I give him credit for that.

Venus and Serena are the only American tennis players worth a crap right now. Some may despise them, but I know I'll miss them a lot. Oh well.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They've always come across that way to me. Richard is an absolute pos and ruined his daughters. But hey, they have more money than me so it's all good, right? :lame:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer, i was talking to robotic with the hate a lot of players comment.

Serena and Venus get national press in the US, but most tennis players bring up their own problems in a match rather than proclaim how much better their opponent was. It's the nature of individual sports, and top players without that attitude are disingenuous at best. I'll take honesty any day.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've always come across that way to me. Richard is an absolute pos and ruined his daughters. But hey, they have more money than me so it's all good, right? :lame:
Serena is heavily involved with the whitest French dude imaginable. He's her coach now, too.

Serena and Venus have never been like Richard as far as I can remember. Oh well.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serena is heavily involved with the whitest French dude imaginable. He's her coach now, too.

Serena and Venus have never been like Richard as far as I can remember. Oh well.

Yeah actually I noticed that they both had white bf's as far as I can remember. I'm not really concerned about it. I don't HATE them and honestly it's more Serena than Venus. Btw, you came from ESpin, right?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasn't that long ago there was more racism from them. I just can't remember the circumstances. She came out and "apologized" which was overtly disingenuous.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't that long ago there was more racism from them. I just can't remember the circumstances. She came out and "apologized" which was overtly disingenuous.

Hmm, I remember Serena "apologizing" after she basically insinuated that that teenage girl who got raped was at fault because she was blackout drunk. The one where the two scumbags video'd it and put it on YouTube. :scratch:

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why do you automatically think you will be labeled a racist? When you make cogent, sensible argument without the underlying tone of skin tone(no pun intended) no one will attack you. Certainly not on this sports forum.

Now, to put both Serena and Venus in the same category of not acknowledging an opponent is going too far as Venus has always conducted herself with class, not complaining about calls that do not go her way and never seen to challenge a call that is even in her favor. She has never put down an opponent and I challenge you to cite even one incident where she claimed what you asserted.

Now, by lumping Venus with Serena and conflating the issue you are exposing yourself to the charge that you hate them for nothing but the color of their skin.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, I remember Serena "apologizing" after she basically insinuated that that teenage girl who got raped was at fault because she was blackout drunk. The one where the two scumbags video'd it and put it on YouTube. :scratch:

But what is racist about what she said? She said a despicable thing that seemed to imply that the girl by getting drunk exposed herself to be raped. She claimed she did not mean to come across that way and apologized. Why do you attach color to it?

simtast204

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is sooooo PAINFUL watching Vee.....

she beats Vika....then lets this "nobody" give her a tough time! C'mon Vee!!!!

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you automatically think you will be labeled a racist? When you make cogent, sensible argument without the underlying tone of skin tone(no pun intended) no one will attack you. Certainly not on this sports forum.

Now, to put both Serena and Venus in the same category of not acknowledging an opponent is going too far as Venus has always conducted herself with class, not complaining about calls that do not go her way and never seen to challenge a call that is even in her favor. She has never put down an opponent and I challenge you to cite even one incident where she claimed what you asserted.

Now, by lumping Venus with Serena and conflating the issue you are exposing yourself to the charge that you hate them for nothing but the color of their skin.

Your response is the reason I said what I did. Black people, at least the ones I've personally encountered always come to the same conclusion. I am not racist. If you understood what that meant you would probably agree. Hating EVERY SINGLE person of a single race simply because they are of that race is utterly lacking in intelligence. I'm certainly not lacking there and I don't hate people due to skin color. I DISLIKE attitudes of individuals and don't lump all people together because of the attitudes of a few.

That might be a good lesson for you to learn, Etch.