• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I being too sensitive or are the optics of this bad in light of recent events? Hope you're there for more than smiles and handshakes JT.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2culpskcs5h41.jpg

lol

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know it's an immediate tuning out of the "Murica FUCK YEAH" crowd, but I do kind of wish that whenever this type of discussion is had about costs it would be brought up that it's possible to do this without any net increase in taxes.

Just take the funding of it from the military. I get that if we do so, our Military may *only* be as powerful as the next ten combined as opposed to all of the others combined, but I think it might be worth it.

Plus if we did this, then those people that we have maimed in the military's name will actually get the care they need. Instead of just abandoning and waiting for them to kill themselves because it's cheaper.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's an immediate tuning out of the "Murica FUCK YEAH" crowd, but I do kind of wish that whenever this type of discussion is had about costs it would be brought up that it's possible to do this without any net increase in taxes.

Just take the funding of it from the military. I get that if we do so, our Military may *only* be as powerful as the next ten combined as opposed to all of the others combined, but I think it might be worth it.

Plus if we did this, then those people that we have maimed in the military's name will actually get the care they need. Instead of just abandoning and waiting for them to kill themselves because it's cheaper.

Honestly, taking from the military wouldn't even have to come at its expense. A ton of that money is tied up in pointless, unproductive contracts with private companies. Get out of those contracts.

Doing so would also relieve at least some of the financial incentive to be at war all the time, which can't be a bad thing.

How much of comprehensive healthcare could we afford by, for example, just quitting on the F35 program? At least a couple percent, right?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you dare take away even one penny from this country's largest entitlement program!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"But it'll cost more!" is the rallying cry of the wrong priorities.

The poor not dying for the apparent crime of getting sick while poor is the only thing that matters. Sanders made this point in 2016 pretty well, I think--everyone needs to be able to access healthcare, and accessibility includes affordability. The poor can't afford it at all, because they're poor, so the only solution to accessibility is to make the whole thing free.

And we always talk about the effect on cost of the single payer system, the balance of that cost with other factors, but something I seldom see discussed is how improvements of public health, early sickness treatment and surgery, being more willing to get regular check-ups, etc., will ultimately push the usage of healthcare toward less expensive services and away from requiring the more expensive ones.

Couple that to increasing the minimum wage to a living wage and comprehensive safety net programs, the corresponding reduced number of people who need the support of safety net programs with more people making wages they can support themselves on, and the improvement of public health from reductions in starvation and homelessness, the money we pay in taxes is ultimately spent more efficiently. If it's funded largely with higher taxes on the highest reaches of income and wealth of the wealthiest people, the economy also gets the bolstering of a stronger consumer class and greater wealth fluidity.

None of this is zero-sum.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all actuality Sander even hit on the biggest burden to a single-payer system is the displacement of workers, as did Oliver did at the end of this piece.
That could tailspin out of control as we are seeing with the farming bailout.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all actuality Sander even hit on the biggest burden to a single-payer system is the displacement of workers, as did Oliver did at the end of this piece.
That could tailspin out of control as we are seeing with the farming bailout.

One of the things I appreciate about the Sanders and Warren plans is that they both consider that, and they have adjacent plans besides to help mitigate the effects of job loss here and there. If you couple this to a major undertaking elsewhere which produces temporary positions, you might be able to shuffle folks around enough to mitigate the issue. Plus the gradual implementation both propose, giving some years over which transition and readjustment can happen.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things I appreciate about the Sanders and Warren plans is that they both consider that, and they have adjacent plans besides to help mitigate the effects of job loss here and there. If you couple this to a major undertaking elsewhere which produces temporary positions, you might be able to shuffle folks around enough to mitigate the issue. Plus the gradual implementation both propose, giving some years over which transition and readjustment can happen.

Same here they both did their homework on this and fully think it would work.
The only concern is the federal government in general if they can create a plan for the worker repositioning that doesn't cause corruption or favoritism it could go very well.
If not we could get something similar to the Farm Bailout, in which a Brazilian company got 78 million dollars.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here they both did their homework on this and fully think it would work.
The only concern is the federal government in general if they can create a plan for the worker repositioning that doesn't cause corruption or favoritism it could go very well.
If not we could get something similar to the Farm Bailout, in which a Brazilian company got 78 million dollars.

Standing up a new government agency will also create a lot of jobs, you would imagine. Likely looking for people with experience in the health care industry. That will help offset a portion of the insurance company job losses.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Standing up a new government agency will also create a lot of jobs, you would imagine. Likely looking for people with experience in the health care industry. That will help offset a portion of the insurance company job losses.
Very true. Especially if done right and not how some companies sell new jobs by just moving people around vs actually creating new positions.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know how the hell youre supposed to get anywhere on this subject. You involve elected, chosen representatives in planning and you wind up with a small group of assholes who don’t respect their own peoples’ elected representation and then it’s Whitey’s fault for not approaching “reconciliation” properly.

Why not just take a vote of the band’s members as a whole and whichever side has the most votes wins? Ya know, like in a democracy? And then pretenders to the leadership get told to STFU.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Bloc were only supposed to care about Quebec shit? Imagine another province trying to cancel something in Quebec lol

Status
Not open for further replies.