• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres money to be made in situations like this lol

I'm not an old shitheel...well, not that big of one...but Airbnb is really making it easy for people to be complete assholes with their properties and I think it's approaching a boiling point.

But at the same time, rooming houses were a very common thing in Toronto as recently as the 2000's, and there are still some, very few, around in areas that gentrification is still slow in getting to. Not a new idea, but they probably didn't cost as much as a room at the Delta per night lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile north of the 49th parallel...

I don't know the difference between an elected chief and a heredity chief, to be honest. What I have read is that the majority of the Wet'suwet'en are in favour of this pipeline. Also, Victoria police report that there were four cases of assault in front of the legislature building, so patience is wearing thin.
I'm not a lawyer, stint working for Diamond & Diamond notwithstanding, but that ruling reads like Aboriginal NIMBYism is allowed even if the opposition is, like, 2% of the total population of that particular recognized group. Which is fucking insane.

"A true desecration": Sacred Native American site blasted to build Trump border wall

:L

Would they have cared if it was this type of burial site?
arlington_cemetery.jpg
I’m not really seeing the quarrel here - it’s federally owned land and there’s no mention that they’ve actually built border wall over graves, just that some are nearby. There are freeways adjacent to Arlington National so I'm not seeing why a fence and a rural road near a thousand year old grave of people who they claim were part of their tribe that they actually have no way of knowing even existed back then might be of concern.

The constant outrage over ancient burial grounds isn’t one I sympathize much with. I mean, this is what's underneath Paris:

1024px-Catacombs_of_Paris_16_August_2013_015-960x540.jpg

Nevermind they can't build 50 yards of subway tunnel in Rome without unearthing some ancient graveyard.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a lawyer, stint working for Diamond & Diamond notwithstanding, but that ruling reads like Aboriginal NIMBYism is allowed even if the opposition is, like, 2% of the total population of that particular recognized group. Which is fucking insane.

I’m not really seeing the quarrel here - it’s federally owned land and there’s no mention that they’ve actually built border wall over graves, just that some are nearby. There are freeways adjacent to Arlington National so I'm not seeing why a fence and a rural road near a thousand year old grave of people who they claim were part of their tribe that they actually have no way of knowing even existed back then might be of concern.

The constant outrage over ancient burial grounds isn’t one I sympathize much with. I mean, this is what's underneath Paris:

Nevermind they can't build 50 yards of subway tunnel in Rome without unearthing some ancient graveyard.
Oh without a doubt this happened before and will continue to happen.

The point is select religious gravesites are sacred and would cause outrage and others not so much when it comes to matters like this. It seems never to be an issue with moving Christian gravesites for matters like this and if they didn't the outrage is paramount.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comparing this to Paris or Rome is specious at best. The catacombs were created because cemeteries were overflowing. Roman remains were buried over the course of thousands of years and are generally treated with great archaeological respect when they're found, slowing down construction. Hell, they've even created special stations to display some of the findings. Same thing in Athens. And these were sites that were generally lost and forgotten a thousands years ago or more.

In this the people to whom this land remains sacred still exist. And we've treated their burial grounds and other cultural artifacts with such utter disrespect that the federal government had to pass a law in 1990 saying in essence that we can't shit all over their heritage anymore. And yet...as the article points out, this particular federal government, under the guise of national emergency waivers, has decided to...shit all over the heritage of the natives.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing this to Paris or Rome is specious at best. The catacombs were created because cemeteries were overflowing. Roman remains were buried over the course of thousands of years and are generally treated with great archaeological respect when they're found, slowing down construction. Hell, they've even created special stations to display some of the findings. Same thing in Athens. And these were sites that were generally lost and forgotten a thousands years ago or more.

In this the people to whom this land remains sacred still exist. And we've treated their burial grounds and other cultural artifacts with such utter disrespect that the federal government had to pass a law in 1990 saying in essence that we can't shit all over their heritage anymore. And yet...as the article points out, this particular federal government, under the guise of national emergency waivers, has decided to...shit all over the heritage of the natives.
That was just my personal feeling about it, obviously worthless as it is, but like I said in the first part of my post what’s the minimum that modern society has to stay away from “sacred” burial grounds etc.? Like, is 50 yards okay? 100? What’s the acceptable proximity without it being termed “a true desecration”?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was just my personal feeling about it, obviously worthless as it is, but like I said in the first part of my post what’s the minimum that modern society has to stay away from “sacred” burial grounds etc.? Like, is 50 yards okay? 100? What’s the acceptable proximity without it being termed “a true desecration”?
I don't see it as an issue of proximity. I see it as an issue of respect. The law permits them to relocate remains as needed, but they need to be appropriated back to the descendants of those affected. But it's awfully hard to know if you're close to or directly on top of human remains when you're blasting.

Excavate it properly, show respect for those buried there, and follow the law, even if it takes longer and costs more.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to get pretty juicy - the NDP still enjoys widespread union support despite the fact labour is a much smaller focus of their platforms than it once was but Jagmeet’s been supporting the Natives on this file. If this leads to union members staying home - not just at CN but at industries that rely on parts shipped by freight - there’ll be a shit ton of anger pointed toward both Trudeau and Singh.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
This is going to get pretty juicy - the NDP still enjoys widespread union support despite the fact labour is a much smaller focus of their platforms than it once was but Jagmeet’s been supporting the Natives on this file. If this leads to union members staying home - not just at CN but at industries that rely on parts shipped by freight - there’ll be a shit ton of anger pointed toward both Trudeau and Singh.
maybe they can save some of that anger for the assholes blocking the tracks. :noidea:

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe they can save some of that anger for the assholes blocking the tracks. :noidea:
People are afraid of become internet fodder. That one guy in Vancouver who was asking to cross the bridge to go to work is probably getting death threats today.

I would venture to guess maybe 10% of the protestors are actually FN, the remainder climate nuts and anarchists sensing some prime opportunism.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Status
Not open for further replies.