• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp Discussion Thread

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured. He had a tantalizing combo of speed and size, but never really put it all together.
I think Brandon Marshall makes him more or less obsolete. Marshall also brings the intangible of a decade of experience studying defenses and working with QBs.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KJ Wright will probably miss his start against the Bronco's on opening day... He's going to have his knee scoped... This stinks due to all the TO we've had on the defense already... Looks like Griffith could start in his spot against Denver...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, bummer about KJ but hopefully he rebounds quickly. With most of the other veteran core players from the SB seasons no longer here, KJ is a pretty vital piece. I guess Shaquem gets thrown in the line of fire right away to show what he can do.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, bummer about KJ but hopefully he rebounds quickly. With most of the other veteran core players from the SB seasons no longer here, KJ is a pretty vital piece. I guess Shaquem gets thrown in the line of fire right away to show what he can do.

Yeah... Part of me is excited to see him play... Great story... An even better story if he plays well...

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excited to see Shaqueem get in there when it really matters too, but hopefully KJ is back quickly. It also helps that Mingo is looking like a great FA pickup the way he's played this preseason.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
havent seen this anywhere and dont want to start a new thread

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark already has his 'the sky is falling' sign out in the general threads. He gives the deal an "F."

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark already has his 'the sky is falling' sign out in the general threads. He gives the deal an "F."
Heh. It sounded like a big number when I first heard it yesterday, but it's always hard when these new deals are announced to keep in mind that the cap goes up about 8-10% every year. For this year, it's like $175M. The cap could be north of $200M before year 2 of this extension (the 2020 season).

The other thing is he still has a year left on his rookie deal, so this extension is 3 years on top of that. Cap hit for '18 was scheduled to be $2M. This will drop the AAV of the 4 years quite a bit.

The way I look at it, just as we said a year ago and going into the off-season, the team was pretty much faced with choosing between TL & Paul Richardson. They chose the one with more versatility and didn't really pay him any more (P-Rich got $40M/5, and now TL over the next 4 years is about $33M) than what Richardson got from the Skins.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. It sounded like a big number when I first heard it yesterday, but it's always hard when these new deals are announced to keep in mind that the cap goes up about 8-10% every year. For this year, it's like $175M. Depending on how this deal is structured, the cap could be north of $200M before year 2 of this extension (the 2020 season).

The other thing is he still has a year left on his rookie deal, so this extension is 3 years on top of that. Cap hit for '18 was scheduled to be $2M. This will drop the AAV of the 4 years quite a bit.

The way I look at it, just as we said a year ago and going into the off-season, the team was pretty much faced with choosing between TL & Paul Richardson. They chose the one with more versatility and didn't really pay him any more (P-Rich got $40M/5, and now TL over the next 4 years is about $33M) than what Richardson got from the Skins.

The one thing that concerns me about this deal is that the Seahawks have really focused on getting the offense in line while the defensive players sit and wait.

So now we have seen Brown and Lockett get locked up while KJ and Frank Clark are still waiting on new contracts. And of course Earl. Bobby Wagner commenting on this troubles me a lot.

Obviously the team is shifting to a more offense focused team which isn't surprising given how the NFL works these days but that seems to be a pretty dangerous path of dealing with players.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that concerns me about this deal is that the Seahawks have really focused on getting the offense in line while the defensive players sit and wait.

So now we have seen Brown and Lockett get locked up while KJ and Frank Clark are still waiting on new contracts. And of course Earl. Bobby Wagner commenting on this troubles me a lot.

Obviously the team is shifting to a more offense focused team which isn't surprising given how the NFL works these days but that seems to be a pretty dangerous path of dealing with players.
Yeah, that's crossed my mind as well -- it's almost exclusively the offensive players who are getting paid.

But back in '12/'13, our D was young and pretty cheap then as well. If I recall it correctly, we had the highest paid OL in the league when we won SB48. I would like to see KJ Wright & Frank Clark extended (spendy), but I think we have lots of young, cheap & potentially good enough players on D to make this work.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not surprised at all that KJ isn't getting a new deal. He's one of those guys who you always keep if the cap isn't an issue. But with his age and his recent injury history, I think they let him walk away.

Clark I figure they pay.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched an ESPN youtube segment on Baldwin saying his knee ain't going to be 100% all year.

This is the one factor that could derail the team being farther ahead than most think PDQ. Injuries.

I think Baldwin is the kind of guy who could fight through a year, but as we saw with Sherman last season, sometimes playing hurt can bite you.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched an ESPN youtube segment on Baldwin saying his knee ain't going to be 100% all year.

This is the one factor that could derail the team being farther ahead than most think PDQ. Injuries.

I think Baldwin is the kind of guy who could fight through a year, but as we saw with Sherman last season, sometimes playing hurt can bite you.
Hmmmm well, who knows? Maybe the youtube crystal ball is on point. Maybe hardly anyone is 100% after about 3 or 4 games anyway?

I just don't really think WRs drive team success anyway. I like Baldwin as a player, but there are enough WRs on this team who can make plays that the main thing will still be OL improvement and running game. If those 2 things can be good actors in a supporting role to RW, it will be ok.

But I'll believe Baldwin is permanently banged up when I see it. Until then, I chalk it up to being cautious with the proven vets in pre-season.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm well, who knows? Maybe the youtube crystal ball is on point. Maybe hardly anyone is 100% after about 3 or 4 games anyway?

I just don't really think WRs drive team success anyway. I like Baldwin as a player, but there are enough WRs on this team who can make plays that the main thing will still be OL improvement and running game. If those 2 things can be good actors in a supporting role to RW, it will be ok.

But I'll believe Baldwin is permanently banged up when I see it. Until then, I chalk it up to being cautious with the proven vets in pre-season.

I was careful to say 'should.' We've got some really good young talent, but our depth ain't what it used to be.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was careful to say 'should.' We've got some really good young talent, but our depth ain't what it used to be.

That was definitely evident in the preseason... I can see us doing a trade or two at DB to gain some more depth... That's how we got Coleman last year... I can see the team letting Maxwell go if they can gain more depth at DB...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was definitely evident in the preseason... I can see us doing a trade or two at DB to gain some more depth... That's how we got Coleman last year... I can see the team letting Maxwell go if they can gain more depth at DB...

I could see them dropping Byron go if he's going to be hurt/dinged. You know you can get decent play out of him (in our system) if he's healthy.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not, but there are a lot of players on this team (including those who will actually make it) that we don't know a lot about. I see guys like Shaquem, Calitro, and Mingo making all sorts of plays these last few weeks, and I can't feel too bad about what is happening at LB. Local media types are not even sure Byron Maxwell will make the team due to how well the rest of the group has looked in camp (and of course in part due to Max not playing at all). The OL is looking much better, maybe to the point Sweezy doesn't even make the team? Really tough decisions to make at WR and maybe RB as well (though McKissic being injured may help make that one).

I know it's the in thing to be down on the team this year (not saying you are, just a general sentiment), but I'm still not convinced it can't end up to be a 2012-like season.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not, but there are a lot of players on this team (including those who will actually make it) that we don't know a lot about. I see guys like Shaquem, Calitro, and Mingo making all sorts of plays these last few weeks, and I can't feel too bad about what is happening at LB. Local media types are not even sure Byron Maxwell will make the team due to how well the rest of the group has looked in camp (and of course in part due to Max not playing at all). The OL is looking much better, maybe to the point Sweezy doesn't even make the team? Really tough decisions to make at WR and maybe RB as well (though McKissic being injured may help make that one).

I know it's the in thing to be down on the team this year (not saying you are, just a general sentiment), but I'm still not convinced it can't end up to be a 2012-like season.

I'm SO looking forward to watching the team this year. I have been saying for five years that Schneider is the organizations unsung MVP, and he doesn't get enough run in voting for executive of the year. The general threads, and the national media all buy into the narrative that Seattle's cupboard is dry.

There's an incredible amount of potential in some of these young guys. Poona Ford, who knows that guy outside hardcore Hawks fans or media? I think he could be at worst a solid NFL players, at best an allstar type talent.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm SO looking forward to watching the team this year. I have been saying for five years that Schneider is the organizations unsung MVP, and he doesn't get enough run in voting for executive of the year. The general threads, and the national media all buy into the narrative that Seattle's cupboard is dry.

There's an incredible amount of potential in some of these young guys. Poona Ford, who knows that guy outside hardcore Hawks fans or media? I think he could be at worst a solid NFL players, at best an allstar type talent.
Yep, I see a wealth of 2nd year guys & rookies who have a chance to make their mark on this team and as a group help to be a big reason why it ends up being better than the outsiders think it will be. Other than the injury wildcard, on defense the biggest factor determining whether it takes a big step back is probably the DL. I thought Sheldon Richardson was our most impactful FA loss due to subtractions of Avril & MB and McDowell being a never-was. Lots of inexperience there now, with Jarran Reed (3rd year) and Frank Clark (4th) being the elder statesmen among returning DL players. The 2 guys we signed from Minn could help settle things, but even w/o ET in the secondary it's probably up front where I see the most chance to have problems on D. However, I'm definitely excited to see if Rasheem Green is able to impact as a rookie, how Mingo fits in, and hopefully Dion Jordan for a full-ish season.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poona Ford, who knows that guy outside hardcore Hawks fans or media? I think he could be at worst a solid NFL players, at best an allstar type talent.

Not shocked you would bring up Ford. Such a unique guy for the Dline. Only 5 foot 11 but just a powerful bowling ball with massive arms and hands. Those over sized long arms really help him move a single blocker just enough for him to slide past very effectively to which ever side he wants. I liked what i saw out of him also but allstar might be a stretch but i would LOVE for that to happen. Unique guy that is coming into a NFL at the right time.

We see it over the course of 5-8 year clicks, power olines to combat the power Dlines then the Dlines switch to more quickness to take advantage of the slower Olines, the olines then change to more athletic players to counter. The ones that stand out are the ones that can do both well (for both O and D lines ). Ford might be able to do well against both type because he is pretty quick for a 300 pounder and pretty strong for a 5 foot 11 guy ( expected when he is 300 pounds ) I would like to see him be close to a poor mans Mebane type player, i don't expect it but he might just shock everyone.

He sure was fun to watch and how they just couldn't block him in the Vikes game. They ended up having to use 2 blockers on him to slow his round bowling ball ass down. He even beat the double teams a few times.

Last edited: