• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade ideas

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood, but Crick and Susac won't do anything to win a World Series this year or next. Zobrist likely will, doing things well (2b, OF) that we need right now.

IMO Zobrist isn't the difference maker for our WS hopes. He improves our lineup but we are still in similar position and we would have gave up the farm to get him

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it earlier today (was it yesterday?) somewhere that I would not even consider giving both Crisk AND Susac for Zobrist alone. I would consider one of them, but no way both. If they are asking for both, AND SOME, then I think I want to see what Uggla can do.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Zobrist isn't the difference maker for our WS hopes. He improves our lineup but we are still in similar position and we would have gave up the farm to get him
Gotta give to get. We all moaned at Alderson for FSan, and Wheeler for Beltran. But where are Alderson and Wheeler now?

And Zobrist greatly improves a huge hole at 2b.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta give to get. We all moaned at Alderson for FSan, and Wheeler for Beltran. But where are Alderson and Wheeler now?

That's why I would consider EITHER of them for Z. But BOTH? Susser alone should be able to fetch a nice prize. Remember, ToJo fetched Pence (granted, with a B-pitching prospect and a decent 3/4 OFer).

If we could get Pence's twin brother for Susac, Blanco and Fleet, I would do that trade yesterday.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair, Wheeler is projected to be a solid starter. But I still believe it was the right deal to make.

As far as this year, if we need to improve the club, we are simply going to have to get rid of something valuable if we want something valuable. We all say "Sabean get it done! We need a ______ now! Keep up with the Dodgers!" Well, that involves trading away players we like.

We have to decide are we in a window of 2-3 more years, or are we rebuilding? Most teams can't really do both.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Wheeler is projected to be a solid starter. But I still believe it was the right deal to make.

As far as this year, if we need to improve the club, we are simply going to have to get rid of something valuable if we want something valuable. We all say "Sabean get it done! We need a ______ now! Keep up with the Dodgers!" Well, that involves trading away players we like.

We have to decide are we in a window of 2-3 more years, or are we rebuilding? Most teams can't really do both.

Well, if we can get a win for Bum, we will likely be 2 games up with 61 to play. Only the most pantshatty of sociopathic trolls wants us to sell and stock the farm. The window is certainly there this year.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if we can get a win for Bum, we will likely be 2 games up with 61 to play. Only the most pantshatty of sociopathic trolls wants us to sell and stock the farm. The window is certainly there this year.

I'm definitely in the 'trade kids to win this year' camp.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just because we are in "win now" mode, does not mean we empty the cupboard for the first option that comes along. Crick, Susac, Williamson, Arroyo, Blackburn, etc are all assets. These assets need to be managed and sold off appropriately.

Just because we need a minivan for the family does not mean we cash in all the life-insurance policies and 401K accounts to buy one for 300K. We buy one for 30K and be smart about how we do it.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because we are in "win now" mode, does not mean we empty the cupboard for the first option that comes along. Crick, Susac, Williamson, Arroyo, Blackburn, etc are all assets. These assets need to be managed and sold off appropriately.

Just because we need a minivan for the family does not mean we cash in all the life-insurance policies and 401K accounts to buy one for 300K. We buy one for 30K and be smart about how we do it.

I agree with the sentiment, but the market for available and desirable ballplayers is much thinner and more competitive than that for minivans. There are very limited opportunities to get needed players, and one has to be aggressive and willing to risk failure to be successful.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No doubt, and I have no idea what the actual market is like as the GMs conversations fly. I trust Sabean on that, he's earned it. My point is, if he does make a trade, and we get something back worth more than Dan Uggla, we will give up a guy or two that makes us cringe.

I assume if the asking price is too high, Sabean will pass.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the sentiment, but the market for available and desirable ballplayers is much thinner and more competitive than that for minivans. There are very limited opportunities to get needed players, and one has to be aggressive and willing to risk failure to be successful.

Well said.

:agree:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got me thinking (rain delay and all), are there ANY players we've let go/traded that showed up somewhere else and kicked ass to where we regretted it?

Wheeler I guess will qualify, but anyone else?

I noticed Eric Surkamp is now stinking it up in the White Sox bullpen.

Seriously, anyone (in recent times)?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got me thinking (rain delay and all), are there ANY players we've let go/traded that showed up somewhere else and kicked ass to where we regretted it?

Wheeler I guess will qualify, but anyone else?

I noticed Eric Surkamp is now stinking it up in the White Sox bullpen.

Seriously, anyone (in recent times)?

Jesse Foppert?

Wait, what?

Toolrulzz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
++

Though we'd still probably get out-bid.

I understand you had a ++ on there. But when you are dangling a guy like Price, the first thing you look at is the centerpiece of the package you are getting in return, and neither Crick nor Susac (or both) are nearly big enough to be the centerpiece to get him. You need a Pederson or a Braxton type of centerpiece to get that deal done.