• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade ideas

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we do need a starter. Sabean also said in that interview how they aren't "seeing the light at the end of the tunnel" with Cain's elbow and this is his fourth time on the DL in two seasons, body beginning to break down. For that reason (and because Petit is not a regular starter), yes we need a SP

Fair enough, but again it comes down to the market. I don't think Peavy helps us, and we'd have to trade assets and pay a big contract to get him. Not sure anything out there helps us but that's not my job it's Sabean's.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. If Pagan can play, even 2 weeks from now, we should stand pat there. I also think that unless Cain is done for the year, we can wait there, too. The priority IMO is 2B. Here's some other names not brought up much, but consider the source:

5 Trades That Could Take the San Francisco Giants to the Next Level | Bleacher Report

1. David Price
2. Daniel Murphy, 2B, NYM (I could get behind that)
3. Leonys Martin, CF, TX (intriguing if Pagan does not return, has a 1.7 dWAR each of the last two years)
4. Emilio Bonafacio, 2B-CF, CHC (lifetime 78 OPS+, bleah)
5. Ben Revere

As you say, consider the source, that list is mostly dreck

1. Not happening
2. Possible
3. Possible, but Pagan is going to return
4. Yuck no thanks
5. Yuck no thanks

That said, I'm in favor of doing something, my general rule is players > prospects when you are trying to win this year, and we are. Also, if Sabean thinks so I think so.

And Marco, BRIB = 'Best Record In Baseball'

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, but again it comes down to the market. I don't think Peavy helps us, and we'd have to trade assets and pay a big contract to get him. Not sure anything out there helps us but that's not my job it's Sabean's.

Yeah, definitely get what you are saying.

Though I do think contract wise Peavy works. Vesting option won't be reached so he is gone after this season. Leaving his the cash to sign Sandoval, Voges, etc.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you say, consider the source, that list is mostly dreck

1. Not happening
2. Possible
3. Possible, but Pagan is going to return
4. Yuck no thanks
5. Yuck no thanks

That said, I'm in favor of doing something, my general rule is players > prospects when you are trying to win this year, and we are. Also, if Sabean thinks so I think so.

And Marco, BRIB = 'Best Record In Baseball'

My only question Re: Pagan.

Who is our CF next year when Pagan gets hurt again and the year after that when he just can't play the position any longer?

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is a move for Price really out of the question? The Giants can part with a few prospects to get him. And also I would think that they would also seriously try to block a move by the Dodgers to get him. Maybe just wishful thinking, but if need be I think Sabean would pull the trigger.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is a move for Price really out of the question? The Giants can part with a few prospects to get him. And also I would think that they would also seriously try to block a move by the Dodgers to get him. Maybe just wishful thinking, but if need be I think Sabean would pull the trigger.

I'm with you, but while we may have the will to get Price, we may not have the assets. Our highest rated prospects haven't been setting the world on fire. We will get outbid for him. Not sure we can afford him anyway. High trade price for a rental.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only question Re: Pagan.

Who is our CF next year when Pagan gets hurt again and the year after that when he just can't play the position any longer?

Next year is its own problem. And 2016 I don't think is a big part of the calculus today.

Yes it would be nice to have CF nailed down but no team can field someone above average at all 8 positions.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you, but while we may have the will to get Price, we may not have the assets. Our highest rated prospects haven't been setting the world on fire. We will get outbid for him. Not sure we can afford him anyway. High trade price for a rental.

Pretty much this. To get Price we would have to send the entire farm, and it still probably wouldn't be enough. Other teams may not have the pitching depth that we have, but we lack the high-profile guy that other teams, that are interested, do have. If we included Belt we could probably net him with Crick and Susac, but there's no way we would do that.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much longer on the mortgage? LOL.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You laugh but I think 2019, right? Not that far...

And isn't there some more TV money coming?

We don't have to spend like the Dodgers, because no one really can, but we do (and I think will) need to step up. We are top 10 in payroll now, we should stay there...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You laugh but I think 2019, right? Not that far...

And isn't there some more TV money coming?

We don't have to spend like the Dodgers, because no one really can, but we do (and I think will) need to step up. We are top 10 in payroll now, we should stay there...

None of us knows when the mortgage is up. Two tidbits on the money owed on the stadium:

- The Giants did an "accelerated depreciation" (that's not the right term, but it's similar) wrt MLB and the debt repayment : they used a clause which allowed them to take the 20 years of repayment on the debt and cram it into the first 10 years. That allowed them to lighten (if not erase) their pay-in to revenue sharing during the first 10 years, but now they no longer get that 'deduction' (subtracting the debt repayment from revenue for te purposes of determining revenue sharing).

- they re-financed a while ago (years ago) when the mortgage rates plummeted. I've never seen details on the new loan. Did they keep the same duration? Did they add several years to the loan to *really* lower monthly/quarterly payments? Did they decide to end the mortgage sooner by keeping the payments the same even though the %-rate was significantly lower? Nobody really knows when the debt repay is over.

Also, the new TV money should have started THIS year, and it was about $25M annually. Not surprisingly, the Giants raised salary by about $15M for the 2014 season. (Don't forget that the Giants will have to pay taxes on that $25M.)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some faint Jimmy Rollins rumors (Jayson Stark, ESPN):

Stark's Latest: Howard, Peavy, Reds, Red Sox, Rollins, Murphy

"San Francisco has also shown some interest in Jimmy Rollins, but the chances are very low due to the former MVP’s 10-and-5 rights, his contract and the fact that Brandon Crawford would have to slide over to second base. (Alternatively, Rollins could simply play second, given Crawford’s defensive prowess.)"

If the price was reasonable, I would get behind this. I have a hunch that we have more cash than we may be letting on, so our ability to eat a bigger contract in lieu of offering more prospects may be our strength. But I have no real evidence of that - just a hunch.

Our FO has shown themselves to be good businessmen, which means they likely have a cash reserve, and they have shown in recent years that they will put some chips in the pot to stay in the hand, so to speak.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much this. To get Price we would have to send the entire farm, and it still probably wouldn't be enough. Other teams may not have the pitching depth that we have, but we lack the high-profile guy that other teams, that are interested, do have. If we included Belt we could probably net him with Crick and Susac, but there's no way we would do that.

Excerpting some from Bisbee:

From a Rosenthal tweet yesterday:

#SFGiants, #Pirates each have two high-level scouts watching Price-Lester tonight in St. Petersburg.
and from a writer for the Pirates AA affiliate:

@Phillies scout in attendance tonight specifically to watch @GoSquirrels SP Kyle Crick throw. #giants #phillies​

While Richmond lost, Crick did not disappoint: 6IP, 1 ER, 11 K's

Perhaps Utley or Rollins is in play for us. Perhaps Jon Lester, too.

Or better yet, maybe Crick is ready for a call-up.

Gonna be a verrrry interesting week.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to see who we give up. I'm fine acquiring him. He is an upgrade over Petit, and we aren't locked into some long-term contract

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peavy for Hembree and Escobar per Olney

Oh.....My

Meh...while both had some promise, we have better relief prospects, and better SP prospects. I can live with this, but there's not much chance this moves the needle much, IMO.

Interesting to see what happens to the rotation if/when Cain comes back. Timmy to the bullpen seems the most obvious, of course, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

Good to see we are playing some pots here. Although for this price, I hope we got some cash.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh...while both had some promise, we have better relief prospects, and better SP prospects. I can live with this, but there's not much chance this moves the needle much, IMO.

Interesting to see what happens to the rotation if/when Cain comes back. Timmy to the bullpen seems the most obvious, of course, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

Good to see we are playing some pots here. Although for this price, I hope we got some cash.

Yeah I'm perfectly fine moving Hembree, as you said we have a lot of very good relief prospects.
Wish we could have held onto Escobar but oh well

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm perfectly fine moving Hembree, as you said we have a lot of very good relief prospects.
Wish we could have held onto Escobar but oh well

At least we don't have an uncomfortable 40-man roster move to make this way.