• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade ideas

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my. What a gut-punch.

I agree with Mays that we have better, but Hembree was still a bully-stud and Escobar was our #2 entering the season and Peavey will be competing for our #5 rotation spot. When I saw this develope (over the last minute while reading this thread) I was expecting Blackburn as the centerpiece, with some non(ish) radar bully arm. Not two guys on the 40 who are close to MLB ready.

On the other hand, it does free up a 40 spot for Susac to be called up if Hactor does indeed go to the 7-day...

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my. What a gut-punch.

I agree with Mays that we have better, but Hembree was still a bully-stud and Escobar was our #2 entering the season and Peavey will be competing for our #5 rotation spot. When I saw this develope (over the last minute while reading this thread) I was expecting Blackburn as the centerpiece, with some non(ish) radar bully arm. Not two guys on the 40 who are close to MLB ready.

On the other hand, it does free up a 40 spot for Susac to be called up if Hactor does indeed go to the 7-day...

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I think this is an overpay, and either Hembree or Escobar plus another arm would have been fine, but not both.

That said, Sabes has a good track record. Peavy should enjoy pitching in the NL again, and in a pitcher's park. He is solid against the Dodgers. Does he start on Sunday?

Escobar was not exactly lighting up Fresno, except the scoreboard. He was 3-8 with a 5.11 ERA and a 1.49 WHIP. He is only 22, though, and learning.

Hembree was not exactly lights out, either. 1-3, 3.89 ERA, 18 saves, 1.35 WHIP, he's 26

As said, there are other relievers in the pipeline, but Hembree was in line to be the next one up.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UPDATE: Giants to acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox | HardballTalk

UPDATE: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Red Sox will receive prospect pitchers Edwin Escobar and Heath Hembree in return. Both are pretty legit prospects, but it helps that the Red Sox are apparently sending some money to the Giants in the deal.

Escobar, a 22-year-old left-hander, was No. 56 on Baseball America‘s preseason list and has posted a 5.11 ERA and 96/37 K/BB ratio over 111 innings this season with Triple-A Fresno. Hembree, a 25-year-old right-hander is a relief pitcher with a big arm. He made nine appearances with the Giants last season, but has pitched exclusively in Triple-A this year, posting a 3.89 ERA and 46/13 K/BB ratio over 39 1/3 innings.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GQ is a bat void, but he is familiar with the staff. I am not sure if Susac would need to be placed on the 40 this off-season to avoid the rule-V draft, but if he does, I see little reason not to add him now and see if he is ready.

Adding GQ does have the added benefit of being able to DFA him immediately when Hactor is ready to return which would not burn an option on Susac...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who comes up to Fresno from Richmond?

Starters

Blach (23)
Fleet (27)
Snodgrass (26)
Marte (26)
Crick (21)
Blackburn (21) just returned from injury

Crick has a 2.55 ERA in his last 10 starts. He still walks way too many guys, and should probably stay at Richmond.

Relief

Okert (23)
Strickland (25)
Hall (26)
Osich (25)

I think Strickland or Hall or Osich make sense to bring up. Okert has few innings, and has battled through some issues.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on a post over on DrBs, I looked closer at EEs splits this year in Fresno.

WOW

He was getting killed by righties, enough that he may be establishing himself as a LOOGY. Righties had a .334 BBA with a .998 OPS. Basically, every righty he faced was an MVP.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on a post over on DrBs, I looked closer at EEs splits this year in Fresno.

WOW

He was getting killed by righties, enough that he may be establishing himself as a LOOGY. Righties had a .334 BBA with a .998 OPS. Basically, every righty he faced was an MVP.

I saw his ERA against lefties was 2.25 and his ERA against righties was 6.72. :eek:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who comes up to Fresno from Richmond?

Starters

Blach (23)
Fleet (27)
Snodgrass (26)
Marte (26)
Crick (21)
Blackburn (21) just returned from injury

Crick has a 2.55 ERA in his last 10 starts. He still walks way too many guys, and should probably stay at Richmond.

Relief

Okert (23)
Strickland (25)
Hall (26)
Osich (25)

I think Strickland or Hall or Osich make sense to bring up. Okert has few innings, and has battled through some issues.

I would think Fleet gets the rotation-slot and Hall or Osich get the bully job. Promos this late in the season, I think, are more for filler purposes than based on merit. Wile these guys all have had decent years, they are not the prospects that Blach, Strickland, Crick or Okert are.

However, I would not be surprised by just about anyone you mentioned.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WOW

Good - we gave up less than I thought. Be nice to know how much cash we're getting, too.

As a ripple effect, this pretty much takes us out of the running for Price or Lester or Lee, if indeed we were ever in the running for any of them. I just don't want to make anything easy for the Dodgers.

Will Peavy be here for Sunday's game? I hope so.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good - we gave up less than I thought. Be nice to know how much cash we're getting, too.

As a ripple effect, this pretty much takes us out of the running for Price or Lester or Lee, if indeed we were ever in the running for any of them. I just don't want to make anything easy for the Dodgers.

It is the Sunday night game, so there should be enough time to get him here. He is supposed to be a Dodger killer as a pitcher. Of course, Beltran was supposed to be an RBI machine, and he was, once we were out of the race.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent trade. Hangman, you have to give up something to get something. Or decide you don't want to improve. And I'm not so sure we gave up much. Not sure we got much either, but moving back to the NL and a pitchers park should help. And it's definitely an upgrade over Petit, and Cain insurance.

Other than Wheeler, have we traded ANY prospects in recent years that became anything? You have to go all the way back to Nathan and Liriano.

Peavy was scheduled to pitch for Boston Sunday so he'll probably start for us tomorrow.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baggs said that Peavy has already been announced as the Sunday starter.

I saw posted on another site that it was only 1M. Not sure how accurate that is.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marty Laurie reporting that the Susser is on his way to SF.

Tz picked a rough time to take a break from the board.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baggs said that Peavy has already been announced as the Sunday starter.

I saw posted on another site that it was only 1M. Not sure how accurate that is.

Saw the 1M figure as well. Not much considering JP makes over 16M this year. That prorates to about 6M for the rest of the year, making him a 5M rental. That stings a bit, but who knows what our cash situation is.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw the 1M figure as well. Not much considering JP makes over 16M this year. That prorates to about 6M for the rest of the year, making him a 5M rental. That stings a bit, but who knows what our cash situation is.

I have since seen that the Sox and Giants are splitting the remainder of his contract, so the Sox at sending 2.5 over.

Again, no idea as to the accuracy...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have since seen that the Sox and Giants are splitting the remainder of his contract, so the Sox at sending 2.5 over.

Again, no idea as to the accuracy...

"It's getting better all the ti-i-ime
Better...better...better
Get-ting so much bet-ter all the time"

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In review...

EE and Hembree off the 40.

Hactor to the 7-day DL

Susac added to 40 and 25

Peavy added to 40 and 25

That leaves one more 25 move. I think Kontos down is a no brainer. Am I missing any other options?

Too bad if it is, in fact Greek going down. He has been nailz.