• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade ideas

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have since seen that the Sox and Giants are splitting the remainder of his contract, so the Sox at sending 2.5 over.

Again, no idea as to the accuracy...

Now MLTBR (ESPN Jim Bowden tweet) says we only have $2M of JP's contract.

Giants Acquire Jake Peavy ? MLB Trade Rumors

"The Giants will pay $2MM of what’s left on Peavy’s contract, ESPN’s Jim Bowden tweets."

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My instant, knee jerk reaction after waking up to this on my phone, I let out a WTF.

I cooled off quick, though. We are in a pennant race and need all the help we can get. Lets hope that Peavy is better than Petit.

And frankly, Hembree's and Escobar's trade values are very low right now. EE can't get righties out at all, and I've seen reports that Hembree's fastball has been in the mid-low 90s, and that he's still a 1.5 trick pony (relies on the FB, up and down slider, no changeup).

These guy still might amount to something, but the org. has been watching them all year with the best eyes. They know more about these guys than any of us, and felt comfortable enough trading them.

Welcome to the club Peavy! Do the Giants go to a 6-max rotation if Cain comes back (doesn't seem like we'll have to worry about that for a bit though)?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My instant, knee jerk reaction after waking up to this on my phone, I let out a WTF.

I cooled off quick, though. We are in a pennant race and need all the help we can get. Lets hope that Peavy is better than Petit.

And frankly, Hembree's and Escobar's trade values are very low right now. EE can't get righties out at all, and I've seen reports that Hembree's fastball has been in the mid-low 90s, and that he's still a 1.5 trick pony (relies on the FB, up and down slider, no changeup).

These guy still might amount to something, but the org. has been watching them all year with the best eyes. They know more about these guys than any of us, and felt comfortable enough trading them.

Welcome to the club Peavy! Do the Giants go to a 6-max rotation if Cain comes back (doesn't seem like we'll have to worry about that for a bit though)?

Agree to an extent.

My initial reaction (after hearing all players involved) was a similar "WTF". Then, after looking into the detailed splits, I am more OK with what we gave.

However, that is only half of the equation. What did we get? Peavy is a bad #4, OK #5 this year. The initial thought may be that he was beat up by pitching in Fenway, but his road spits are worse than his home splits. so that is not an excuse. The next argument is that he will do fine in the NL West. Well, by that metric, any schmoe would be able to fill a rotation spot in the NL West. Why get an aging vet who is clearly on his last leg, and give up assets in the process?

I am feeling this trade was more about clearing the 40-spot than about getting Peavy. Basically, a whole lot of nothing.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to an extent.

My initial reaction (after hearing all players involved) was a similar "WTF". Then, after looking into the detailed splits, I am more OK with what we gave.

However, that is only half of the equation. What did we get? Peavy is a bad #4, OK #5 this year. The initial thought may be that he was beat up by pitching in Fenway, but his road spits are worse than his home splits. so that is not an excuse. The next argument is that he will do fine in the NL West. Well, by that metric, any schmoe would be able to fill a rotation spot in the NL West. Why get an aging vet who is clearly on his last leg, and give up assets in the process?

I am feeling this trade was more about clearing the 40-spot than about getting Peavy. Basically, a whole lot of nothing.

Bochy knows Peavy, and Peavy had some nice years in Sandy Eggo pitching for Bochy. Maybe some of that magic can be reignited. Peavy may be more of a West Coast guy. In addition, his 1-9 record is indicative of his run support. I read that the Bosox have scored two runs or less in Peavy's last 8 starts.

Peavy (1-9, 4.72 ERA) has been hurt by poor run support this season, receiving two runs or fewer of support in each of his past eight starts.

He should feel right at home here. :D

It certainly worked out pretty well the last time it happened. When Peavy was shipped to the Sox last July, he responded with a clinical August, compiling a 3.18 ERA and 0.96 WHIP over six starts. During that month, the Sox went from up one game in the East to up 4.5.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to an extent.

Yeah, among all this I'm really excited to see Susac. And this week has seen a lot of shifting of the 40-man. It has certainly been a housekeeping week. We'll see if Peavy has anything left in the tank. He was decent in 2013, and very good in 2012. His problem this year has been giving up too many homers, and more walks than usual. Let's see what reuniting him with his old manager does. I gotta think Boch had a say in this trade.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Save for one season (2012), Peavy has not done anything since San Diego (he left them in '09). Making waiver-wire pickups to "catch lightning in a bottle" is one thing. Making trades for these same player-types is something different entirely. Especially when we are giving up actual assets in the trade.

I guess I just dont see Peavy as a no-brainer, massive improvement over Biggie. So basically, this is JUST a SP depth trade. Not a SP improvement trade.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, among all this I'm really excited to see Susac. And this week has seen a lot of shifting of the 40-man. It has certainly been a housekeeping week. We'll see if Peavy has anything left in the tank. He was decent in 2013, and very good in 2012. His problem this year has been giving up too many homers, and more walks than usual. Let's see what reuniting him with his old manager does. I gotta think Boch had a say in this trade.

Sabes: "I am thinking about bringing up one of the young guys to start, and have Petit move back to long relief."

Noggin: "Naw. Bring me one of those crusty vets that I like so much. How about Jake Peavy?"

Sabes: "You're kidding, right? He has been terrible this year in Boston. And he makes a ton of money."

Noggin: "He pitched really well for me in 2007. He can do it again. And he has a stellar record against the Doyers. Get him here for Sunday's game!"

Sabes: :nod:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Save for one season (2012), Peavy has not done anything since San Diego (he left them in '09). Making waiver-wire pickups to "catch lightning in a bottle" is one thing. Making trades for these same player-types is something different entirely. Especially when we are giving up actual assets in the trade.

I guess I just dont see Peavy as a no-brainer, massive improvement over Biggie. So basically, this is JUST a SP depth trade. Not a SP improvement trade.

I see your point. But if you had a must win game, would you trust Peavy or Biggie, if those were your only two options?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point. But if you had a must win game, would you trust Peavy or Biggie, if those were your only two options?

Yeah, I believe Peavy has another gear or two left for the stretch. We needed a SP, and we didn't overpay. We'll know Sunday.

And we likely aren't done. Odds are we are saving our best for last, as in a pretty large deal for a 2B. I'm sure we are trying...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I believe Peavy has another gear or two left for the stretch. We needed a SP, and we didn't overpay. We'll know Sunday.

And we likely aren't done. Odds are we are saving our best for last, as in a pretty large deal for a 2B. I'm sure we are trying...

Oh, I fully believe that SabeySabes is blowing up phones and looking at massive amounts of Excel docs right now.

I just dont see much improvement in getting Peavy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If those were my choices, I would see what we can get in a fire sale.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope Peavy can pull a 'Brad Penny', and will be lights out for the rest of the season.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope Peavy can pull a 'Brad Penny', and will be lights out for the rest of the season.

Good call.

He doesnt even need to be lights out/ace level,, just solid #3 level. he's not just replacing Petit, he could be replacing Cain. Anyone who feels this deal is 'nothing' or a roster move isnt seeing the risk with Cain. I was meh on Peavy too but considering all the factors this was better than doing nothing.

Would I prefer Price? of course, but we never had a shot at him. still need a 2B, i think we'll get one.

Then we go to war, will come down to the wire for sure. even if we get swept this weekend, a distinct possibility.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggie's numbers

As a Starter
1-2
6.32 ERA
6 starts
31.1 innings
34 hits
22 ER
6 HR
6 BB
28 K
1.28 WHIP

As a reliever
2-1
2.45 ERA
21 games
36.2 innings
31 hits
10 ER
1 HR
11 BB
43 K
1.15 WHIP

I like Biggie as a reliever (don't we all?)

Peavy is an upgrade as a starter.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
peavy should do better in san fran. he is a fly ball pitcher at this point of his career and fly balls regular leave fenway and us cellular field that will be outs in san fran. moving to the nl should help too

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggie's numbers

As a Starter
1-2
6.32 ERA
6 starts
31.1 innings
34 hits
22 ER
6 HR
6 BB
28 K
1.28 WHIP

As a reliever
2-1
2.45 ERA
21 games
36.2 innings
31 hits
10 ER
1 HR
11 BB
43 K
1.15 WHIP

I like Biggie as a reliever (don't we all?)

Peavy is an upgrade as a starter.

Good analysis. One can look at Petit's overall numbers and go, eh, he's OK for a substitute #5, but when you look at your numbers here - we needed to make a move.

Peavy is most definitely an upgrade.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
peavy should do better in san fran. he is a fly ball pitcher at this point of his career and fly balls regular leave fenway and us cellular field that will be outs in san fran. moving to the nl should help too

I was thinking this too, but looking at his numbers, he's been pretty consistent in giving up homers, even back to his San Diego days (and their park is bigger than ours). This year though, his clip has been at a career worst rate, by a lot. Reasonable to expect some regression.

His biggest problem this year has been walks.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking this too, but looking at his numbers, he's been pretty consistent in giving up homers, even back to his San Diego days (and their park is bigger than ours). This year though, his clip has been at a career worst rate, by a lot. Reasonable to expect some regression.

OOOOO

A flyball pitcher who walks guys.

Definite recipe for success.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then he should be fine subbing for Matty Blyleven. :D

Peavy has given up 20 HR in 124 innings (6.2 innings/homer)

Cain has given up 13 HR in 90 innings (6.9 innings/homer)

Not that different.

Last edited by a moderator: