• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade ideas

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peavy has gone 15 consecutive starts without a win. During the winless streak, Peavy has a 5.21 ERA and has given up 15 home runs. His 1.41 WHIP is the highest of his career since his rookie season.

His 4.72 ERA ranked 84th among 94 qualified pitchers this season. His WHIP ranked 83rd. His .270 batting average against ranked 79th. His .446 slugging against ranked 88th. His 20 home runs allowed is tops in the American League. Fourteen homers have been against lefties, and 12 have come one the road.

Entering Tuesday night, batters were pounding his fastball: .304 with 13 home runs.

His fastball averaged 89.7 MPH. his second favorite pitch - a cutter - averaged 86.4 and his third pitch is his change, which averaged 82.6. Not a lot of seperation.

Peavy struggles after two plate appearances on a batter. He entered his last game with hitters batting .250 the second time around and .291 the third time through. From the 7th inning on, batters are hitting .333 against him.

Source: Nick Cafardo - Boston Globe

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peavy has gone 15 consecutive starts without a win. During the winless streak, Peavy has a 5.21 ERA and has given up 15 home runs. His 1.41 WHIP is the highest of his career since his rookie season.

His 4.72 ERA ranked 84th among 94 qualified pitchers this season. His WHIP ranked 83rd. His .270 batting average against ranked 79th. His .446 slugging against ranked 88th. His 20 home runs allowed is tops in the American League. Fourteen homers have been against lefties, and 12 have come one the road.

Entering Tuesday night, batters were pounding his fastball: .304 with 13 home runs.

His fastball averaged 89.7 MPH. his second favorite pitch - a cutter - averaged 86.4 and his third pitch is his change, which averaged 82.6. Not a lot of seperation.

Peavy struggles after two plate appearances on a batter. He entered his last game with hitters batting .250 the second time around and .291 the third time through. From the 7th inning on, batters are hitting .333 against him.

Source: Nick Cafardo - Boston Globe

SWEET!!!

Huge upgrade!

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SWEET!!!

Huge upgrade!

Care to suggest what Brian Sabean should have done differently?

Also as I recall you weren't a big fan of picking up Morse either. Frankly neither was I but he did turn out to be a huge upgrade. I at least thought about that deal (and this Peavy one) that it's better than not doing anything. And I can't think of a realistic option besides Peavy. Obviously neither could Sabean.

We all claim to trust the team that brought us 2 rings in 4 years but when they make a move,we know better? :noidea:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care to suggest what Brian Sabean should have done differently?

Also as I recall you weren't a big fan of picking up Morse either. Frankly neither was I but he did turn out to be a huge upgrade. I at least thought about that deal (and this Peavy one) that it's better than not doing anything. And I can't think of a realistic option besides Peavy. Obviously neither could Sabean.

We all claim to trust the team that brought us 2 rings in 4 years but when they make a move,we know better? :noidea:

Come on, msg. just because I am a card carrying member of the IBWT and ISWT clubs does not mean I live on a strict Kool-Aid diet.

I trust that Hembree and Escobar are both players that have plummeted in the last year or so, and that they were likely the proper price for Peavy. I believe I have said essentially that in these threads. Through the morning, I have come to be somewhat OK with what we have given up in the deal.

My complaints are with what we got. I just dont see Peavy as a guy will get us to the promised land, whether he is the only deal we make this week or not.

Would I rather have Biggie, Hembree and Escobar or Biggie and Peavy? I would rather have Biggie, Hembree and Escobar.

I have also stated (and I actually suspect this was the REAL reason for the trade) that the deal was made more-so to clear the 40-spot so Susac could be called up. Taking that into account, I am somewhat OK with the deal.

That does not mean I cannot or will not talk smack about Peavy.

As for Morse, I think he has proven to be a real snoozer of a signing. Sure he was red-hot at the start of the year, but he has essentially (overstatement, I acknowledge) checked out for the last 2 months.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morse

April-May

.295/.350/.575 16 2b, 1 3b, 11 HR, 38 RBI, 14 BB, 48 K

June-July

.235/.295/.360 10 2b, 0 3b, 3 HR, 9 RBI, 6 BB, 44 K

I care not about average, strikeouts, obp, etc. I care about HR and RBI from him, and he has done virtually nothing in the last two months on either account. He is an upgrade from the void that was LF last year, but this HOT and then COLD is crazy, looking for a little more consistency from Morse.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope Peavy can pull a 'Brad Penny', and will be lights out for the rest of the season.

If we got Peavyfor the same batch of prospects that we got Penny for, I would be more pro-Peavy.

I dont think anyone can find my posts agonizing the Uggla deal...

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is why I hate the trade. Does Peavy make the difference between not winning a World Series or winning a World Series. The answer for me is a big fat hell naw.

He is barely a 5th starter. For the struggling Red Sox he was the 6th starter who they were desperate to get rid of. They had been showcasing him for about a month with no takers on his sorry ass. The Giants gave up way too much for someone who will, if the Giants are lucky, be an average 5th starter.

Peavy was not worth even one of the players traded. They should have sent someone who they were ready to DFA anyway like Noonan.

What the Giants are really lacking is a lead off hitter. Not a 6th starter. If Cain doesn't comeback this season the season was already lost so trying to replace him with a fuckup like Peavy makes 0 sense.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is why I hate the trade. Does Peavy make the difference between not winning a World Series or winning a World Series. The answer for me is a big fat hell naw.

He is barely a 5th starter. For the struggling Red Sox he was the 6th starter who they were desperate to get rid of. They had been showcasing him for about a month with no takers on his sorry ass. The Giants gave up way too much for someone who will, if the Giants are lucky, be an average 5th starter.

Peavy was not worth even one of the players traded. They should have sent someone who they were ready to DFA anyway like Noonan.

What the Giants are really lacking is a lead off hitter. Not a 6th starter. If Cain doesn't comeback this season the season was already lost so trying to replace him with a fuckup like Peavy makes 0 sense.

That's kinda the thing, though.

The Giants were in a roster crunch and had no good options for a DFA to call up Susac. Therefore, they needed to trade two players from the 40. Both HH and EE had fallen so far in internal ratings, that I wonder if one of them were not going to be the DFA victim had the trade not happened.

Don't get me wrong. I am not happy to have Peavy. But the research I have done and the discussions I have had/seen on these guys today tells me we basically gave up nothing for him (potentially a LOOGY and a 7th inning arm).

The trade in a vacuum was a bad trade. When it is put together with the entire landscape of the org, it is a ho-hum trade.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting read so far. I seem to be in anotherv camp all together. My concern is not the Peavy trade. My concern is what the hell are the Doggies going to do? They have more money than god and enough prospects to pull off almost any trade. IMHO they have a slightly better team than us with 58 games to go. I think their pitching is better. Their top three are awesome. I personally feel they are looking at Price no matter what Colleti says. That foursome would serve them well for MANY years. For me it's all about the wild cards. There are like 5 teams on top of each other for the wild card slots. If we don't solve our offense issues I don't think it will matter. Just can't expect to win every game 2-1 or 3-2. We need a high profile 2B who can hopefully also lead off for us. Also makes me wonder what exactly we will look like in the 2015 season. Just don't see either Peavy or Uggla being part of it. Huddy is not a kid. Bum will be our ace but for me it gets pretty cloudy after that. Almost starting to wonder if this going to be our only window for the next 2-3 years?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting read so far. I seem to be in anotherv camp all together. My concern is not the Peavy trade. My concern is what the hell are the Doggies going to do? They have more money than god and enough prospects to pull off almost any trade. IMHO they have a slightly better team than us with 58 games to go. I think their pitching is better. Their top three are awesome. I personally feel they are looking at Price no matter what Colleti says. That foursome would serve them well for MANY years. For me it's all about the wild cards. There are like 5 teams on top of each other for the wild card slots. If we don't solve our offense issues I don't think it will matter. Just can't expect to win every game 2-1 or 3-2. We need a high profile 2B who can hopefully also lead off for us. Also makes me wonder what exactly we will look like in the 2015 season. Just don't see either Peavy or Uggla being part of it. Huddy is not a kid. Bum will be our ace but for me it gets pretty cloudy after that. Almost starting to wonder if this going to be our only window for the next 2-3 years?

You should never shoot for the wild card. If you are in the race for the division, your are likely in the race for the wild card. The Dodgers have probably had a more talented team than the Giants this entire decade, but what has that gotten them? I think everyone's kind of waiting for them to explode one of these years, but it hasn't happened yet.

About the window, there is so much turnover in baseball that windows open and close all the time. This team's window that we have right now will close this year or next. But think about the 2010 team , and the 2012 team. Those team windows already closed. The remaining factors include Posey and Bumgarner. And I'd add Belt and to that group now (if he can stay healthy), and Pence. So long as the Giants have these guys, and are healthy, they will retool around them, and open new windows.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I posted this on another board...

If we were to get Rios, where would he play and where would he hit?

He has been strictly a LF the last few years, but did play regular CF as recently as '11. Looking at his positioning (and having no knowledge of his arm outside of that), I would guess that RF is not an option. That would mean he would have to play CF while Pagan is out and LF if/when he returns.

As for the lineup, Texas has pretty much bat him 3 and 5 exclusively. Although, with only 4 HR and an OPS south of .800 (.756) I am not sure he is a middle of the order guy anymore. However, he is hitting .299 with a .328 OBP and 16 SBs. I would guess that he would be the new leadoff guy, which would move Pence further down the line (even if only to the #2 spot) and really help the length of the order.

He is owed 13.5M this year (about 4-5 left??) and there is a team option for 13.5 for '15 (1M buyout).

As an addition, I like it. The problem comes in what it would cost us. Would Crick be an option? Would he get it done? Would he only act as the centerpiece of a package?

I have stated elsewhere that if the G's do not win 2 of the next 3 games, I do not want them to make a trade before the end of this month. We need to be able to compete with the better teams in the league as we are now to warrant paying for reinforcements, IMHO. But if they are able to meet that goal, Rios looks like the type of guy I would like to acquire.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the rumor mills has the Giants and Mariners interested in Rios, and the Mariners interest in Drew Stubbs. I'd be interested in Stubbs in a heartbeat. CF with speed and good OBP.

YIKES!!!

:gaah:

Take a look at his splits and get back to me.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rios should net a decent package, possibly similar to the Pence trade. It may not even take as much to acquire Rios (a little older, power seems to be gone). I could get behind this move.

You bet Boch would bat him 1st. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either, has to be better than Blanco. I would also assume he'd play CF until (if) Pagan comes back.

Rios-CF
Pence-RF
Posey-C
Sandoval-3B
Morse-LF

slide Belt into 5th/4th when he comes back

leadoff Pagan, slide everybody down when/if he comes back. I guess that would send Morse to the bench.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the rumor mills has the Giants and Mariners interested in Rios, and the Mariners interest in Drew Stubbs. I'd be interested in Stubbs in a heartbeat. CF with speed and good OBP.

Re Stubbs, there's some red flags.

His splits this year (1st in COL) show .358/.385/.650/1.035 at home, but .229/.277/.343/.620 away.

The away stats are much closer to his recent career stats (.610 OPS in 2012, .655 in 2013). He struck out 205 times in 2011.

Makes me less than enthusiastic, esp if Pagan is truly coming back.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rios should net a decent package, possibly similar to the Pence trade. It may not even take as much to acquire Rios (a little older, power seems to be gone). I could get behind this move.

You bet Boch would bat him 1st. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either, has to be better than Blanco. I would also assume he'd play CF until (if) Pagan comes back.

Rios-CF
Pence-RF
Posey-C
Sandoval-3B
Morse-LF

slide Belt into 5th/4th when he comes back

leadoff Pagan, slide everybody down when/if he comes back. I guess that would send Morse to the bench.

I am A-O-K with that. Morse as a 4th OF would be GREAT!!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am A-O-K with that. Morse as a 4th OF would be GREAT!!

Yeah, and it could really save Pagan and Belt when/if they come back, particularly Pagan (if Rios could play CF, but I would guess the Giants are banking on it if they are indeed interested). They could sit Pagan 2-3 days a week and ease him in, the go full throttle if we are still in a race come Sept./Oct.