• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade ideas

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, just the guy to bring in as a defensive replacement!!!

I am thinking more about having the bat on the bench that everyone keeps screaming about. And the fact that he can play a solid 1B AND RF offers some flexibility where he would still be able to start 3 times a week or so.

Blanco would still be the primary 6th inning defensive replacement (for Rios, I would assume, but I am completely ignorant as to his defensive prowess)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking more about having the bat on the bench that everyone keeps screaming about. And the fact that he can play a solid 1B AND RF offers some flexibility where he would still be able to start 3 times a week or so.

Blanco would still be the primary 6th inning defensive replacement (for Rios, I would assume, but I am completely ignorant as to his defensive prowess)

Declining, as one would expect. 2014 dWAR of -0.8. Morse-like.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A stick of gum for Uggla and Blanco. Price for the two is kinda high, but some team might get free gum and is willing to share a piece.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuba's Rusney Castillo:

Rusney Castillo To Have Private Workouts For Four Teams ? MLB Trade Rumors

His best position is CF, although he played 2B a few years ago.

The best part is that we are on equal footing with everyone else in the sense that he is a free agent. But I have no idea if he is major-league ready. Help?

We talked about him in the game thread yesterday...

Rusney Castillo Impresses In Showcase ? MLB Trade Rumors

Rusney Castillo Wows In Miami Workout - BaseballAmerica.com

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is with all these funky Cuban first names? Seriously, I guess they have so little freedom there they gotta express themselves any way they can:

Yasiel, Yoenis, Yonder, Leonys, Onelki, Adeiny, Yunel, Aroldis, Erisbel, Odrisamer, Yasmani...and now Rusney

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuba's Rusney Castillo:

Rusney Castillo To Have Private Workouts For Four Teams ? MLB Trade Rumors

His best position is CF, although he played 2B a few years ago.

The best part is that we are on equal footing with everyone else in the sense that he is a free agent. But I have no idea if he is major-league ready. Help?

Here's a clue at least, but it's always tough to tell:

Rusney Castillo Wows In Miami Workout - BaseballAmerica.com

Some excerpts:

"he’s represented by Jay-Z’s Roc Nation Sports" - FWIW

"Castillo took fly balls in right and center, although scouts indicated his arm plays more to center or even left. (Castillo said his preferred position is center.) He also took ground balls at shortstop, although no one really expects him to play there." - So he plays CF, and possibly middle infield

"Perhaps the most pleasantly surprising aspect of Castillo’s game was the power he showed and the ability to hit to the opposite field with authority." - He's more than a singles hitter apparently

"Castillo ran the 60-yard dash somewhere between 6.4 seconds and 6.5, depending on which scout you asked. Castillo gave a slight “deke” before he started his sprint, which threw off some stop-watches. Either way, though, Castillo is a plus runner by consensus of various scouts."

"Castillo started out in right field, fielding base hits and firing to third base. He then took base hits and threw home. All his throws were on a line and hit the mark on the fly or on one hop."

“He has a 50 arm,” said one scout. “It’s an average big league arm. He could be used in all three outfield spots in a pinch, but his arm plays more like a left fielder.”

Added another scout after the entire workout was over: “His arm is his weakest tool.”

After a few minutes in the cage, Castillo took three rounds of batting practice on the field. This is where he made his biggest impression.

“I like him,” the scout said. “He’s a major league player.”

Carter [the pitcher] was asked how well he thought Castillo did with his pitches. “He’s a great hitter,” Carter said. “I threw some fastballs at the knees on the outside corner, and he hit them over the fence or close to it.”

Castillo took 16 cuts, missing two and fouling off eight. Of the six he hit fair, only one was a likely out, a couple of shots were off the wall and a couple went over the fence.

SHORTSTOP DEFENSE

Castillo took 20 ground balls at shortstop and didn’t miss any, although he did skip one throw past the first baseman for what would have been an error.

He looked hesitant at the start but then seemed to get more comfortable. He got rid of the ball quickly when tossing to second to start a double play. Castillo ended his workout by charging a slow roller and tossing across his body to first base.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Apparently the guy can hit, and hit for power. He's fast. He can play CF best, but apparently middle infield also (otherwise they wouldn't have worked him out there). He was characterized as "major-league ready".

I know it was only a workout, but given our situation, I hope we are very interested. Of course, it's not my money. But because money is all it takes, we should be in a pretty good position vis-a-vis the other teams. Unfortunately, the 900-lb gorilla in the room wears blue and plays in Chavez Ravine.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the NY Post on Rusney Castillo:

One projected Castillo could make between $25 million and $35 million, “although I’m usually low.” [presumably that's over at least 5 years, if not more]

A second conceded that Castillo could get into Puig’s territory, given that so many teams now gotten a good look at him.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That is not a bank-breaking price. (But it's not MY money.) I hope we are in on him - he sounds ML ready, and he's probably better than Uggla. And he wouldn't cost any players.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is with all these funky Cuban first names? Seriously, I guess they have so little freedom there they gotta express themselves any way they can:

Yasiel, Yoenis, Yonder, Leonys, Onelki, Adeiny, Yunel, Aroldis, Erisbel, Odrisamer, Yasmani...and now Rusney

Yeah! Why can't they use NORMAL names, like Daquon, Shawon, Deshawn, Jamaar, Kalisha, Lawanda, Quianna, Shanice, Taniqua, etc. ?? Or Brigid, Colleen, Conan, Donal, Fergus, Finn, Fiona, Liam, Meara, Seamus, or Sinead??

I mean, eveybody should use the same 30 names, right?

:bounce:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah! Why can't they use NORMAL names, like Daquon, Shawon, Deshawn, Jamaar, Kalisha, Lawanda, Quianna, Shanice, Taniqua, etc. ?? Or Brigid, Colleen, Conan, Donal, Fergus, Finn, Fiona, Liam, Meara, Seamus, or Sinead??

Come on, Marco, everyone has at least one of those names in their family.

Right?

Right?

Just me?

:think:

:sigh:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope - none. I come from a large family, and all my brothers have normal names : Abraham, Avi, Baruch, Levi, Moshe, and Seth.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well yeah, what's up with those too?
I guess my point was the Cubans (like the African Americans) are getting pretty creative with the names...you don't see a lot of Venezuelan or Dominican players with crazy names...
The Celtic ones aren't creative per se, those are just some old, foreign-derived names. The Cubans are coming up with some crazy very non-Cuban sounding names. Just noticing.

One of the best A-A athlete names has to be D'Brickashaw Ferguson...

Check out the fantastic sketch show 'Key & Peele' for their skits where they just show one A-A player after another with increasingly bizarre names. Awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah, what's up with those too?
I guess my point was the Cubans (like the African Americans) are getting pretty creative with the names...you don't see a lot of Venezuelan or Dominican players with crazy names...
The Celtic ones aren't creative per se, those are just some old, foreign-derived names. The Cubans are coming up with some crazy very non-Cuban sounding names. Just noticing.

One of the best A-A athlete names has to be D'Brickashaw Ferguson...

Check out the fantastic sketch show 'Key & Peele' for their skits where they just show one A-A player after another with increasingly bizarre names. Awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

It's all Brazil's fault with the one-named soccer players. The latest one cracked me up - Fred. Pretty retro. How about Hank? Maybe Dick?

Ultimately it's Cher's fault. Or maybe Liberace's.

[Hey, as long as the thread got hijacked, I might as well enjoy the ride.]

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all Brazil's fault with the one-named soccer players. The latest one cracked me up - Fred. Pretty retro. How about Hank? Maybe Dick?

Ultimately it's Cher's fault. Or maybe Liberace's.

[Hey, as long as the thread got hijacked, I might as well enjoy the ride.]

I liked the Brazilian player named 'Hulk' myself