• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TRADE! CB Witherspoon to the Steelers

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if I should be excited about this? Seems like a depth piece but I’m curious what the 49er fans think of him?

@Niner Outlaw
@Ricky Roma

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if I should be excited about this? Seems like a depth piece but I’m curious what the 49er fans think of him?

@Niner Outlaw
@Ricky Roma
He is a good kid. He is talented but lacks confidence. When he was on the 49ers there were stretches where he looked like a pro bowler. Then he would have a bad game or series and go into the toilet. He started one season looking great and then got hurt. After coming back he struggled a bit and then got into a mental funk and was getting burned. He ended up getting benched. Witherspoon was a pre med student and a smart kid. Maybe he just thinks about his failures too much. I guess when it comes to being a good cornerback it is better to be a cocky numbskull.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@Niner Outlaw
@Ricky Roma
He can cover, but due to his lack of confidence, he's very streaky. He has all the physical skills, but is a reluctant run defender. The Niners had a thin, shaky secondary, but let him walk. That should tell you plenty. I think his problems are all in his head.

I'll tag @flyerhawk , @Anointed One , @Judge Fudge , and they can give you a Seattle POV. Spoon was one of the FAs they brought in back in the Spring on a prove-it, 1yr, 4M deal with 2.5M in signing bonus. He not only failed to get a starting job, they shipped his ass out of town before he ever played in a regular season game.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only perspective Seattle fans have is that he went into the preseason penciled in as a starter but he performed mediocre and was a #4 or #5 at best at the end of camp thus the trade. We didn't get to see him much, but what we did see was underwhelming. Maybe he can rebound in Pittsburgh?

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can cover, but due to his lack of confidence, he's very streaky. He has all the physical skills, but is a reluctant run defender. The Niners had a thin, shaky secondary, but let him walk. That should tell you plenty. I think his problems are all in his head.

I'll tag @flyerhawk , @Anointed One , @Judge Fudge , and they can give you a Seattle POV. Spoon was one of the FAs they brought in back in the Spring on a prove-it, 1yr, 4M deal with 2.5M in signing bonus. He not only failed to get a starting job, they shipped his ass out of town before he ever played in a regular season game.

The only perspective Seattle fans have is that he went into the preseason penciled in as a starter but he performed mediocre and was a #4 or #5 at best at the end of camp thus the trade. We didn't get to see him much, but what we did see was underwhelming. Maybe he can rebound in Pittsburgh?

What he said.

For us. Maybe DJ Reid is healthy, maybe found someone better or a better fit...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never heard of him

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scheme they run in Pitt seems pretty different than Seattle. I suspect he'll either be a starter or cut with little inbetween.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool name

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are the Seahawks about to get Gilmore from the Pats??

Or will the Colts beat them to him??

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks fans weren't thrilled with him but thought he was better than the alternatives. He was supposed to be their #1 CB this season on a 1 year $4M deal. According to fans at Seahawks.net he was disappointing in preseason and outplayed by the other starting CB who was the weak link last year. Basically they're dumping him at a $2.5M loss and a future 5th round pick looks like a decent return if they ignore the 2 seasons that will precede it. He can play really well but he can also make bad mistakes. Apparently he makes Deion Sanders look like a tackling machine.

I haven't seen him play this preseason so this is a 3rd hand appraisal. I saw him play for the 49ers in the past. I thought he had potential but he was a bit flaky.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks fans weren't thrilled with him but thought he was better than the alternatives. He was supposed to be their #1 CB this season on a 1 year $4M deal. According to fans at Seahawks.net he was disappointing in preseason and outplayed by the other starting CB who was the weak link last year. Basically they're dumping him at a $2.5M loss and a future 5th round pick looks like a decent return if they ignore the 2 seasons that will precede it. He can play really well but he can also make bad mistakes. Apparently he makes Deion Sanders look like a tackling machine.

I haven't seen him play this preseason so this is a 3rd hand appraisal. I saw him play for the 49ers in the past. I thought he had potential but he was a bit flaky.
Generally I agree but he was never brought in to be the #1 CB. He was brought in with hopes of him having a chance to compete as a starter, or at least in the rotation.
Getting a 5th is a plus at this point as my guess is that he would otherwise be cut.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are the Seahawks about to get Gilmore from the Pats??

Or will the Colts beat them to him??

Gilmore would be a nice addition for sure … We’re looking real suspect at corner right now …

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilmore would be a nice addition for sure … We’re looking real suspect at corner right now …
Which is what worries me the most about Witherspoon… Couldn’t make the ‘Hawks roster with that secondary corps, and they were willing to trade him away for a throwaway pick 2 years down the road? That tells me he looked so bad they were going to cut him anyway

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is what worries me the most about Witherspoon… Couldn’t make the ‘Hawks roster with that secondary corps, and they were willing to trade him away for a throwaway pick 2 years down the road? That tells me he looked so bad they were going to cut him anyway
He was on a 1 year $4M fully guaranteed contract. Cutting him wouldn't have saved any money and replacing him would have cost money. The only reason to cut him was if they had 5 or more better CBs. He's a depth CB who could be a decent, but mistake-prone starter. He'll need DC help because opponents will try to isolate him. He's a risk/reward player but the Seahawks didn't like the risk.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what I see is.....
Pitt no longer drafts DBs. They just trade for them nowadays :D