• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is now the time to trade Metcalf?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Salks show but he's wrong a lot... I rarely agree w/ his perspective... I more or less listen to the show to hear Brock Huard...

Well it's kinda his job. Brock is the knowledgeable professional with the keen insight. Salk is the guy that stirs the pot with his takes. He full admits he doesn't really know what he is talking about.

Salk gets the bigger picture stuff right a lot, IMO.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is right that they built the roster outside in when it should be built inside out.

That said, id only trade metcalf is someone blew the doors off with their offer

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's kinda his job. Brock is the knowledgeable professional with the keen insight. Salk is the guy that stirs the pot with his takes. He full admits he doesn't really know what he is talking about.

Salk gets the bigger picture stuff right a lot, IMO.
That's why I don't care for him as much... Colin Cowherd does the same thing but I enjoy listening to him quite a bit...

I've listened to Salk for years... Then he left and came back... And needed Brock to come back as well to help him with his ratings...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I don't care for him as much... Colin Cowherd does the same thing but I enjoy listening to him quite a bit...

I've listened to Salk for years... Then he left and came back... And needed Brock to come back as well to help him with his ratings...

Brock is definitely the star of the show.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I am on board with trading DK away for the right price I don't think it is necessary to have DK, Lockett, and JSN on the same offense. A team does not need all these WRs to win. The Chiefs literally traded away an all pro receiver to the Dolphins and still on the super bowl. If there is a team willing to give us a 1st round pick for DK I am taking that offer and running to the bank to cash in.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I am on board with trading DK away for the right price I don't think it is necessary to have DK, Lockett, and JSN on the same offense. A team does not need all these WRs to win. The Chiefs literally traded away an all pro receiver to the Dolphins and still on the super bowl. If there is a team willing to give us a 1st round pick for DK I am taking that offer and running to the bank to cash in.

Lockett is clearly declining and to keep him while moving on from DK just to get a 1st round pick doesn't make a ton of sense.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lockett is clearly declining and to keep him while moving on from DK just to get a 1st round pick doesn't make a ton of sense.

They both are due to be free agents at the same time so you would give DK a new contract and pay him at 29?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They both are due to be free agents at the same time so you would give DK a new contract and pay him at 29?

Metcalf is 6 years younger than Lockett. Lockett will probably retire when his contract runs out, if not sooner.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Metcalf is 6 years younger than Lockett. Lockett will probably retire when his contract runs out, if not sooner.

Nevermind lockett right now. Would you extend Metcalf at 29?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well his contract expires when he is 28. And I really don't know. That's 2 years from now.

I think if we were offered a 1st round pick we should take it because as we know the sooner the players contract expires and closer he ages to 30 that offer will not be on the table. I wouldn't be surprised if the WR position slowly becomes devalued like the RB position. receivers today are being drafted in the later rounds and become big time players (Puca Nacua, Nico Collins). I don't think it would be the right move to extend him after this contract and if we were offered a 1st I think accepting it would be wise.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if we were offered a 1st round pick we should take it because as we know the sooner the players contract expires and closer he ages to 30 that offer will not be on the table. I wouldn't be surprised if the WR position slowly becomes devalued like the RB position. receivers today are being drafted in the later rounds and become big time players (Puca Nacua, Nico Collins). I don't think it would be the right move to extend him after this contract and if we were offered a 1st I think accepting it would be wise.

Trading away your best players because they will eventually be old free agents is not a great plan.

Maybe after this year it would make sense to move him. He would only have one year left on his contract and some other team may be willing to make a move for him and there would be significant cap gain.

But it makes no sense to move him at age 26 when the cap savings would only be 1.5 million.

The reason why RBs are devalued is because they almost never are worth their 2nd contract because their bodies can't hold up.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading away your best players because they will eventually be old free agents is not a great plan.

Maybe after this year it would make sense to move him. He would only have one year left on his contract and some other team may be willing to make a move for him and there would be significant cap gain.

But it makes no sense to move him at age 26 when the cap savings would only be 1.5 million.

The reason why RBs are devalued is because they almost never are worth their 2nd contract because their bodies can't hold up.

I'm not saying trade away our best players I am talking about DeKaylin Zecharius "DK" Metcalf and I am putting it out there to trade him if you have no intentions of extending him. I think DK has reached who he is which basically 1,000 yards and 8-9 TDs to be honest I think DK is overrated and not even needed. This wouldn't also be a cap saving move this would be a move to acquire a 1st if possible and use that for another position. Right now we have no tackling linebackers Bobby is old and I don't know what a Jordyn Brooks extension would look like and if he is worth the price tag.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying trade away our best players I am talking about DeKaylin Zecharius "DK" Metcalf and I am putting it out there to trade him if you have no intentions of extending him. I think DK has reached who he is which basically 1,000 yards and 8-9 TDs to be honest I think DK is overrated and not even needed. This wouldn't also be a cap saving move this would be a move to acquire a 1st if possible and use that for another position. Right now we have no tackling linebackers Bobby is old and I don't know what a Jordyn Brooks extension would look like and if he is worth the price tag.

So trade DK and don't even bother with a replacement? That seems really short sighted to me.

The odds of drafting a player that will have the same production as DK are extremely low. The success rate(meaning they get resigned by the same team they were drafted) of 1st round draft picks is something like 50%.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Maholmes and Kelcie can mask the WR position but teams like us having Geno, we need good WR core to win. Trading DK the asking price should be a 1st and an additional pick.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap savings on trading DK "now" really isn't there, so the draft pick compensation would have to be appealing to even consider this. Probably unlikely there is a team out there willing to include a 1st round pick, so I don't think it would help us all that much in the long run and definitely not immediately.

However, I do agree with a lot of what Mike Salk has said about reasons trading DK could make sense. I generally don't like the idea of paying WRs and RBs, but there certainly are exceptions. WRs have a much longer shelf life than RBs, so DK should continue to be productive into this late 20s/early 30s and definitely may not have peaked just yet. You can find many WR1s who had exceptional seasons after the age of 30 and were most productive in their late 20s. But the idea that this team might be built wrong has some merit. Just looking at cap hits, we have WAY too much $ tied up at safety and WR as the contracts read present tense. In the last few years, we've spent half (4) of our 1st & 2nd round picks on RBs & WRs. I think that's nuts, and I hope to all get-out that it was more Pete than John.

Timing-wise, probably no DK trade this off-season. But for sure we need to reduce how much cap we have tied up at WR & DB and allocate more to positions that play closer to the ball. And hope is not a method, but it sure would be great to find the next QBOF in this draft so we can have him for 4 or 5 seasons on the cheap while we are freed up to invest more in other areas.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap savings on trading DK "now" really isn't there, so the draft pick compensation would have to be appealing to even consider this. Probably unlikely there is a team out there willing to include a 1st round pick, so I don't think it would help us all that much in the long run and definitely not immediately.

However, I do agree with a lot of what Mike Salk has said about reasons trading DK could make sense. I generally don't like the idea of paying WRs and RBs, but there certainly are exceptions. WRs have a much longer shelf life than RBs, so DK should continue to be productive into this late 20s/early 30s and definitely may not have peaked just yet. You can find many WR1s who had exceptional seasons after the age of 30 and were most productive in their late 20s. But the idea that this team might be built wrong has some merit. Just looking at cap hits, we have WAY too much $ tied up at safety and WR as the contracts read present tense. In the last few years, we've spent half (4) of our 1st & 2nd round picks on RBs & WRs. I think that's nuts, and I hope to all get-out that it was more Pete than John.

Timing-wise, probably no DK trade this off-season. But for sure we need to reduce how much cap we have tied up at WR & DB and allocate more to positions that play closer to the ball. And hope is not a method, but it sure would be great to find the next QBOF in this draft so we can have him for 4 or 5 seasons on the cheap while we are freed up to invest more in other areas.
Agree with the entire post. All of it. The hope is with Pete gone, that things need changing get changed like investing in the trenches and QB.

Last edited:

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So trade DK and don't even bother with a replacement? That seems really short sighted to me.

The odds of drafting a player that will have the same production as DK are extremely low. The success rate(meaning they get resigned by the same team they were drafted) of 1st round draft picks is something like 50%.

Well we have had DK on this team for 5 years and where has that gotten us? He has never been top 5 in recieving in the league and has only been top 15 in receiving just once so far. I am not saying we need to replace him I am saying we need to change the makeup of the offense and stop trying to throw it to this guy to try and win games. We need to start making changes because if we don't then we will forever be sitting at 8-9 win seasons.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Maholmes and Kelcie can mask the WR position but teams like us having Geno, we need good WR core to win. Trading DK the asking price should be a 1st and an additional pick.

I agree I am not saying we should trade him away for nothing I am saying if a team was willing to give us a 1st we should really look into taking it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree I am not saying we should trade him away for nothing I am saying if a team was willing to give us a 1st we should really look into taking it.
This might make sense next offseason. It doesn't make sense this offseason, especially when there is a very real possibility that Lockett gets cut.