• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is now the time to trade Metcalf?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Teams don't win Super Bowls by trading away their young top talent.
Just to play devil's advocate, or, the other side of the coin:
If DK gets 135 targets and Lockett gets 120, you aren't leaving very many for Smith-Njigba, and that kid needs more targets. He's earned more targets.

The Metcalf-Lockett combo has been solid for four years, but compromising the progress of Smith-Njigba would be criminal.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If DK gets 135 targets and Lockett gets 120, you aren't leaving very many for Smith-Njigba, and that kid needs more targets. He's earned more targets.

The Metcalf-Lockett combo has been solid for four years, but compromising the progress of Smith-Njigba would be criminal.
It's not that I disagree with you, but I believe the Hawks are the only team that had 3 WRs with 50+ catches this season. I saw that stat flash toward the end of the year, so it's possible we gained company but I was stunned to see that given how much our O struggled most of the year.

To me, it's a self-solving problem. TL's contract situation is such that he's probably gonna be cut if he doesn't agree to restructure, which he may not now that the only HC he's had in the NFL is no longer in town. He isn't done but clearly declining, so maybe he wants to finish it out somewhere else. This seems like a pretty good time to do that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lockett has, at most, a couple more seasons in him. Ideally I would like to see JSN get most of Lockett's targets next year while Lockett becomes the 3rd option.

Getting rid of Metcalf now would lead us to have a JSN only WR corp in a couple of years.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has a WR ever been traded for two firsts? Metcalf is a good player but there are probably 10 WRs out there better than he is (at least, statistically) who are less inclined to blow their top and get a penalty.
Yes. IIRC, it was your Seahawks that traded away Joey Galloway to Dallas for 2 #1s.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, cap wise trading Metcalf makes no sense.

Pre June 1st trade would be a 23 million dollar cap hit and 1.5 million in savings.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. IIRC, it was your Seahawks that traded away Joey Galloway to Dallas for 2 #1s.
So we are 2-1 then.
Two 1sts for Galloway - good
Two 1sts for Adams - bad
Two 1sts for Wilson- good

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lockett has, at most, a couple more seasons in him. Ideally I would like to see JSN get most of Lockett's targets next year while Lockett becomes the 3rd option.

Getting rid of Metcalf now would lead us to have a JSN only WR corp in a couple of years.
Our WR corps would go from one of the best to middle of the road.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, cap wise trading Metcalf makes no sense.

Pre June 1st trade would be a 23 million dollar cap hit and 1.5 million in savings.
Yeah, his contract is a bit new still to be tradeable. I know sometimes you can have the next team take on some of that money, but I really doubt the numbers could make sense this off-season. Talk of trading him now seems to be more about punishing him for personal fouls.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we are 2-1 then.
Two 1sts for Adams - bad

Also Fredd Young was traded to the Colts for 2 1sts. We got Andy Heck and Ray Agnew out of the deal.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, how many targets does JSN need? 100 - 110 - 120? Cause the kid had 93 this year. DK and Lockett has 241 between them split nearly down the middle. It wasn’t JSN who was missing targets, having the three headed receiving corps limited targets to other positions more than it appeared to hamper JSN.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we are 2-1 then.
Two 1sts for Adams - bad
Also traded Rick Mirer for a 1st rounder that we used to trade up for Shawn Springs... - Good

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft class is loaded with WRs, so IDK about this being the best time to try to trade a WR.
Especially one with a cap hit if 24.5 mil and a dead cap of 23. And they might lose Tyler as a cap casualty. Trading DK isn't going to happen at this time.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,106.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has a WR ever been traded for two firsts? Metcalf is a good player but there are probably 10 WRs out there better than he is (at least, statistically) who are less inclined to blow their top and get a penalty.
I don't know.

But, Adams commanded a 1st and 2nd rounder when the Raiders added him from the Packers.

And Diggs brought Minnesota a 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th rounder when they traded him to the Bills.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always remember. If you're a fan of team trading who you consider to be an elite player, the other teams will point out every single one of his faults and problems. No one considers him as elite as you.

As far as the Bears are concerned, they're taking Caleb Williams with #1. Most like will trade Justin Fields and #7 and the back end of their draft and their 2025 #1 to the Patriots so they can get Marvin Harrison Jr. after the Commanders take Drake Maye with the #2.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always remember. If you're a fan of team trading who you consider to be an elite player, the other teams will point out every single one of his faults and problems. No one considers him as elite as you.

As far as the Bears are concerned, they're taking Caleb Williams with #1. Most like will trade Justin Fields and #7 and the back end of their draft and their 2025 #1 to the Patriots so they can get Marvin Harrison Jr. after the Commanders take Drake Maye with the #2.

I agree with what you said about fans wanting so much in their "elite" player. Personally I don't think there is any receiver in the league that is worth 2 1st round picks unless maybe their from a team picking in the very bottom of the draft.

Also I don't think having a bunch of talented receivers is a necessary component of a championship team.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I don't think having a bunch of talented receivers is a necessary component of a championship team.
If you don't have any (Patriots), you finish at the bottom of your division. You must have one #1 and one #2 to get anywhere in this pass driven league.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow, that Patriots trade would be something. I don't see that happening (seems an awful lot to spend when they already have a #1 WR), but would be very interesting.

As far as Metcalf goes, I don't see him drawing the trade capital many here want, so I wouldn't trade him either. It does seem that Lockett (age, contract) is the one nearing a move, whether that is a trade or cut for salary savings. Sucks, as he has been their most reliable target, but he's nearing that age of diminishing returns.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that Patriots trade would be something. I don't see that happening (seems an awful lot to spend when they already have a #1 WR), but would be very interesting.
With Williams at QB and adding Harrison to work the opposite side of DJ Moore, the Bears would be a nightmare. They don't have enough draft capital to match up with the #3 without adding the 2025 #1 that will most likely be in the mid 20's. Fields would be a perfect fit for the new Patriots.
They'll have near $100M to spend on free agents and will most likely buy WRs first. There isn't much else to fill in their holes at OT.

One way or another, somebody will pay through the nose for that #3 and the Patriots will not spend it on Jayden Daniels. If the Bears don't step forward, Mayo will most likely go after Tannehill or possibly Cousins if they don't price themselves out of the market. They would spend $45M on Baker Mayfield if the Bucs can't resign him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Williams at QB and adding Harrison to work the opposite side of DJ Moore, the Bears would be a nightmare. They don't have enough draft capital to match up with the #3 without adding the 2025 #1 that will most likely be in the mid 20's. Fields would be a perfect fit for the new Patriots.
They'll have near $100M to spend on free agents and will most likely buy WRs first. There isn't much else to fill in their holes at OT.

One way or another, somebody will pay through the nose for that #3 and the Patriots will not spend it on Jayden Daniels. If the Bears don't step forward, Mayo will most likely go after Tannehill or possibly Cousins if they don't price themselves out of the market. They would spend $45M on Baker Mayfield if the Bucs can't resign him.

The Bears can NOT give up Fields and their 2025 #1 and instead draft Udenze or Nabors. Seems like one of your typical homers trades.

Somebody may move up with the Patriots but I doubt it is the Bears. The problem for the Patriots is that none of the teams after them in the top 10 are going to be that focused on drafting a QB. Maybe the Giants but I doubt they are going to want to give up a lot.

Last edited: