• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 3 Cy Young Canidates this year as of now

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:) okay. I had to ask, since you're looking at this situation with all the possibilities being positive, all the outcomes being in Yu(and your)s favor. Not like I'm judging, I do the same thing with my favorite players. I just look at Yu's season and think "missed some time, needs to cut down on the walks, go deeper by cutting down on the balls..." More than I think Cy Young. But there aren't 10 pitchers I'd rather have on my staff moving forward than your guy.

Yeah I understand we all defend our guy :) but he goes 7 innings most of the time even with some walks. He's still improving every year so I wouldn't be suprised to see the walks go down every year. But thanks for the good argument this is always fun indeed

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:) okay. I had to ask, since you're looking at this situation with all the possibilities being positive, all the outcomes being in Yu(and your)s favor. Not like I'm judging, I do the same thing with my favorite players. I just look at Yu's season and think "missed some time, needs to cut down on the walks, go deeper by cutting down on the balls..." More than I think Cy Young. But there aren't 10 pitchers I'd rather have on my staff moving forward than your guy.

This was a very entertaining debate between you two. Hambombs, I admire the way you stick up for Darvish as well. The only time you really lost me is when you brought up Randy Johnson.

broncosmitty, I agree with you about walks; they are the root of all pitching evil.

Now watch someone like Liriano win the Cy Young. :laugh3:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a very entertaining debate between you two. Hambombs, I admire the way you stick up for Darvish as well. The only time you really lost me is when you brought up Randy Johnson.

broncosmitty, I agree with you about walks; they are the root of all pitching evil.

It was just point out that just cause someone has a handful more innings doesn't mean they are a cy young canidate over a guy who has better of majority of the stats.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love this about baseball. So many factors in who wins what. So many options for who deserves to be up for it. Guys get credit for great careers, others for potential. There's the what if? The the what might be? The bias opinion and the stone cold facts. But one thing is for certain, tonight, I love Chris Perez! :)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liriano keeps blowing my mind. Not because he's so good. But because he was soooooo bad.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this about baseball. So many factors in who wins what. So many options for who deserves to be up for it. Guys get credit for great careers, others for potential. There's the what if? The the what might be? The bias opinion and the stone cold facts. But one thing is for certain, tonight, I love Chris Perez! :)

Wow you really took it to them in the 9tj inning. Good job :yahoo:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how he's put it (back)together. All those years of potential, then he fell on his face, and now he's right back to what some had predicted. It's crazy how his career has came back around the way it has. I'm no Pirates expect or anything, But I'm guessing he's working on perfecting the "effectively wild" approach? It'd drive me nuts as a fan to see all the walks, but he's not allowing runs either. Which can't last with the base runners, but it's impressive to me that he's over .500 with an ERA under 4.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liriano's success is largely because his walks are down and his 2-strike location has improved substantially. Searage worked with him on his mechanics, bringing his arm slot a bit higher, and it gave him better fastball control.

If he hadn't been walked 5 guys per start the past few years, he wouldn't have fallen to the Pirates as a reclamation project. He would have been pitching the way he is now. His fastball has jump and his slider and change are both filthy. That means a lot of missed bats and not a lot of hits, which is exactly what he's doing. When he keeps that slider down and can come inside with the fastball, which he's been doing all year, he's very difficult to hit.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how he's put it (back)together. All those years of potential, then he fell on his face, and now he's right back to what some had predicted. It's crazy how his career has came back around the way it has. I'm no Pirates expect or anything, But I'm guessing he's working on perfecting the "effectively wild" approach? It'd drive me nuts as a fan to see all the walks, but he's not allowing runs either. Which can't last with the base runners, but it's impressive to me that he's over .500 with an ERA under 4.

They say that Ray Searage, the pitching coach, is a miracle worker. And looking at Burnett, Liriano and Locke, they might have a point.

If James McDonald comes back looking like an ace, well...:thumb:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Masterson should considering just being top 10 in voting an accomplishment. He isn't even close. Shields, Santana, Sale, Kuroda, Iwakuma etc...

No way Cliff Lee is even close either.

Just saying.

If people mention locke. Miswell look at Jose Fernandez who has been electric. Bumgarner deserves some praise. Minor and Burnett(lack of wins is just bad) are also pitching awesome.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liriano's success is largely because his walks are down and his 2-strike location has improved substantially. Searage worked with him on his mechanics, bringing his arm slot a bit higher, and it gave him better fastball control.

If he hadn't been walked 5 guys per start the past few years, he wouldn't have fallen to the Pirates as a reclamation project. He would have been pitching the way he is now. His fastball has jump and his slider and change are both filthy. That means a lot of missed bats and not a lot of hits, which is exactly what he's doing. When he keeps that slider down and can come inside with the fastball, which he's been doing all year, he's very difficult to hit.

Yup. Control has always been the issue. I always said...just get it over. Guys can't hit him even if he throws meat balls. Ball stays in the yard too. Walks are the killer.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If James McDonald comes back looking like an MLB caliber starting pitcher Ill be impressed. :). Wandy Rodriguez' returning could make their staff truely top notch. I've always been a fan of his. It could be the pitching coach that's working wonders for the Buccos. I had to watch Jason Grilli for years in Detroit. He was awful. Certainly not the case now. (Prior to the injury). Seems like the same thing for Burnett. Pittsburgh sure isn't short on nice rebound stories. (Melancon too)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ervin Santana is not having a better year than Masterson. Even if JM walks too many batters. (So does ES) Hes not a top twenty type pitcher and certainly not a Cy Young candidate. He has a better ERA at the moment, but not substantially better. Could you go put your Jammies on hockeyboy? The rest of us were trying to have a conversation about baseball.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ervin Santana is not having a better year than Masterson. Even if JM walks too many batters. (So does ES) Hes not a top twenty type pitcher and certainly not a Cy Young candidate. He has a better ERA at the moment, but not substantially better. Could you go put your Jammies on hockeyboy? The rest of us were trying to have a conversation about baseball.

Admit it. You made a moronic suggestion and are now trying to turn it on me. You cant even be civil about it you are that much a fucking moron.

2.97 absolutely shits on a 3.33. Better WHIP. Both have strong innings since for some dumbass reason that is your only criteria.

Cliff Lee? Bwhahahahahaha

Seriously, do you bother watching the game?

Masterson over Kuroda, Shields, Santana, Iwakuma, Sale is absolutely comical.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His walks are still absurdly high though. And his ERA is absurdly low. Gonna be hard to keep it around two with as many free passes as he gives out. Still an impressive turn around from past seasons though. The Twins could really use his help with that horrid, going nowhere, lackluster rotation of theirs.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever player I suggested is better than some of the awful names you through out there.

So what kind of baseball are you talking?

Over taking Doug for biggest Tigers dumbass?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admit it. You made a moronic suggestion and are now trying to turn it on me. You cant even be civil about it you are that much a fucking moron.

2.97 absolutely shits on a 3.33. Better WHIP. Both have strong innings since for some dumbass reason that is your only criteria.

Cliff Lee? Bwhahahahahaha

Seriously, do you bother watching the game?

Masterson over Kuroda, Shields, Santana, Iwakuma, Sale is absolutely comical.

Go away kiddo. Who's cussing and not being civil? I do my best to just steer clear of you. Have since you spent years of your adolescence trying to convince people Verlander wasn't an ace.... Kids these days, I tell ya. If you had read my stance you'd see that other stats do matter, they just are relative... To how often they're done. Which is where the importance of innings comes into play. You're probably going to stalk me now like the old days aren't you?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever player I suggested is better than some of the awful names you through out there.

So what kind of baseball are you talking?

Over taking Doug for biggest Tigers dumbass?

You don't like Kershaw? Wainwright? Hernandez? Scherzer? Darvish isn't in your ten best starters in baseball? You just like that I'm responding to you, don't you? I think I'll stop doing that.