• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft????

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone here remember the Seahawks drafting Michael with the second round pick, they didn’t even have a first and had Lynch and Turbin on the roster? Instead of moaning about using a third round pick on a RB, you all should hope it’s not a second or first.

There's backs still in the SportsHoopla mock that I'd take in the second - granted its just Taylor - and there's still 16 picks before I go again, but if he's there at the end of the second I may be tempted to go RB.

Now that said, I really don't expect him to last to the end of the 2nd, so it's moot anyway.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's backs still in the SportsHoopla mock that I'd take in the second - granted its just Taylor - and there's still 16 picks before I go again, but if he's there at the end of the second I may be tempted to go RB.

Now that said, I really don't expect him to last to the end of the 2nd, so it's moot anyway.
Swift would be a prize,but I won’t mind Cam Akers. Three down back that has played behind less then a stellar OL.

Last edited:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swift would be a prize,but I won’t mind Cam Akers. Three down back that has played behind least then a stellar OL.

Yeah, Swift is already gone (Miami, 2nd round pick 39).

I have Akers and Dobbins sitting around 3rd round grades, but there's still a lot of good players ahead of them. I'm surprised Taylor is still there honestly, but there's been 9 WRs already taken (I think we're at pick 43 right now).

Right now, Marlon Davidson is pretty high on my list out of Auburn, as well as Chase Claypool (I know, WR, but I like him). Though, with the way things are looking in the draft, I could end up with another edge rusher, as there's still some who are on the board.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, we aren't exactly deep at either of those positions. I understand that you want to defend Carson's health issues, but the reality is, he's missed 17 games in his career, played in 1 of 3 possible playoff games and was completely irrelevant in the one he played in. We're a lot closer to where we were in 2016 when Rawls was coming back from season ending injury than you're wanting to admit. There's no way of knowing where the RB room is in terms of being able to come back from these injuries. I hope as much as the next guy that everyone comes back healthy without any ill effects from their injury - but that's not to say adding a third back in the draft is a bad idea - and will most likely happen.

I just don't value a 3rd running back enough to the point where I want us to fire an early pick on one when we already have 2 starting quality RBs. People are assuming they are both unhealthy, but this is at least the 3rd time I've asked for some sort of credible report to back it up. What is making you guys believe that? Hell, for all we know both of their careers may be over because we aren't privileged with all the info the teams are, but without having it then I'm not going to assume it just because they were injured at the end of year.

Again, my preferred strategy in the event Penny starts off on PUP: sign a cheap vet for the first 6 games and then play it by ear in week 7+. Draft a RB a year from now if you know that either 1) Carson walked after '20 or 2) Penny's 5th year option won't be picked up. Both of those things will be known well before the draft. Why is using an early pick right now so much more viable than that?

As for WR, we've got Lockett and Metcalf - so, I don't understand where the idea that the WR room is complete because Dorsett has come in. That room needs 1 more guy, as well as a healthy stable of TEs to round out the offense at the skill position. Personally, I would think that Seattle should keep their eyes open if there's a talent they can get, regardless of the position the talent plays at.

Well, I guess I'm just a believer that when you have an elite HOF level QB, he's a guy who can make the people around him better and doesn't need a continual flow of top picks to throw to. Even in Russell's 3rd season, we made it to a SB with 4 WRs who weren't even drafted. Having studs like Lockett & Metcalf is plenty, and you now have added Greg Olsen to Will Dissly & Hollister at TE. And how much is a WR we draft in 2 weeks really going to contribute anywhere but ST for probably 2+ seasons? Maybe if we start throwing it 40 times a game then I'll look at the problem differently, but it appears the prevailing opinion is to build a stable of RBs that can run the wishbone :).

Honestly, with what Seattle has done in free agency, it would make more sense that they are looking to go after skill players in the draft.
Hell, they very well could. I don't pretend to know better than anyone else what they'll do. I just hope they don't because I think the draft capital is better spent on OL/DL. I think we have a much better chance at a SB standing pat at RB & WR than going into the next season with status quo on the lines (and I recognize that's not even possible on OL). But the bottom line is we are probably just going to be sore about whatever part of the team is the weakest. At the tail end of the '19 season, it was RB because they all happened to get injured at the same time. I am not sure how wise it is to allow that to dominate your thoughts about what you do in the draft, but clearly I'm in the minority with that opinion.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone here remember the Seahawks drafting Michael with the second round pick, they didn’t even have a first and had Lynch and Turbin on the roster? Instead of moaning about using a third round pick on a RB, you all should hope it’s not a second or first.
And did we think that was an awesome idea at the time?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And did we think that was an awesome idea at the time?
Nope, but my point is to show how much importance the Seahawks put on the RB position and they will invest the draft on a RB even with other needs.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, but my point is to show how much importance the Seahawks put on the RB position and they will invest the draft on a RB even with other needs.
Not sure anyone is disagreeing with that. What I think the team will do is not always equivalent to what I think they should do.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The off season had been about adding to the defense and OL. I’m sure the same will happen in the draft, but the Seahawks are going to draft a RB that’s capable of starting and they can do that in the third round. It’s possible they wait if they have a RB they feel they can draft late that they like a lot, but seems to me the third round will produce a RB that has a higher ceiling and floor. RB position is a position that needs constant replenishment.

All speculation here but if the FO drafts a RB in the third than my guess is Penny may not be ready to start the season.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good article.... Clayton: Seahawks face tough road in draft as perennial playoff team

April 13, 2020 at 3:58 pm
It’s hard to believe this is Seahawks general manager John Schneider’s 11th NFL Draft.

While it’s very difficult to figure out who he is going to draft, it’s easy to follow the way he drafts. He has an amazing ability to find starting defensive backs in the middle rounds. He’s a master of making draft day trades, particularly trading down in the first round or even out of the first round to accumulate more picks.

Schneider realizes teams often become victims of their own success. Drafting well causes cap problems because the really good draft choices can command high salaries that often can’t fit into the salary cap. If they get big money in free agency, Schneider gets compensatory picks the following year.

Perhaps the biggest thing he realizes is that being a perennial playoff team puts the Seahawks in a tough position, drafting between the 21st and 32nd picks in the first round. And Schneider takes unfair criticism that he doesn’t get Pro Bowl players in the first round.

Here is the reality. In the last five drafts, only five players league-wide made it to the Pro Bowl after being drafted between the 21st and 32nd picks. Basically, only one player a year from that spot in the draft makes it to the Pro Bowl. In 2015, Dallas Cowboys cornerback Byron Jones was the only Pro Bowl player taken in the final 12 spots of the first round. In 2016, Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Kenny Clark became a Pro Bowler. Steelers linebacker T.J. Watt was the only 2017 Pro Bowler in the final 12.

There were two in 2018: Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson and Buffalo Bills cornerback Tre’Davious White. None made it from last year’s draft although Las Vegas Raiders halfback Josh Jacobs was close to making it.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that little segment with Clayton yesterday on 710. While the facts of the late 1st round picks vs the Pro Bowl stand on their own as true, I always sit back after hearing stuff like that and try to determine what it really means. Are the last 5 drafts just an outlier? What do the 5 drafts before that look like? What about the 25 drafts before that? Those are the questions that come to mind with stats like these. And what the last 5 drafts have looked like at the end of round 1 are not necessarily what the next 5 are going to be. If given a choice between having the 25th pick or the 35th, with all else being equal I think 32 out of 32 GMs would rather have the 25th pick for 2 clear reasons: 1) it's worth more in a trade and 2) there are 10 more players to choose from at 25 vs 35.

But I guess the stats are interesting and make for good radio conversation if nothing else.

I still hope we go heavy on the lines early and save skill position depth picks for later, but I know there are plenty of conflicting views there.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that little segment with Clayton yesterday on 710. While the facts of the late 1st round picks vs the Pro Bowl stand on their own as true, I always sit back after hearing stuff like that and try to determine what it really means. Are the last 5 drafts just an outlier? What do the 5 drafts before that look like? What about the 25 drafts before that? Those are the questions that come to mind with stats like these. And what the last 5 drafts have looked like at the end of round 1 are not necessarily what the next 5 are going to be. If given a choice between having the 25th pick or the 35th, with all else being equal I think 32 out of 32 GMs would rather have the 25th pick for 2 clear reasons: 1) it's worth more in a trade and 2) there are 10 more players to choose from at 25 vs 35.

But I guess the stats are interesting and make for good radio conversation if nothing else.

I still hope we go heavy on the lines early and save skill position depth picks for later, but I know there are plenty of conflicting views there.

I see what your saying but if anything, it was an interesting read... In this example, I don't feel you'd go back 25 years to review stats... Maybe 10 yrs... The game evolves every 5-10 years so it would be moot to go back that far... For example, today's league is mainly a passing league... There aren't as many good OL coming out of college to fit the pro style... Especially LT's... There are many more pass catching TE's than we've seen... RB's aren't viewed at what they once were back in the 70's, 80's, 90's early 2k... etc...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another read about the Hawks trading down with their 1st round draft picks since 2012... Hasn't always been roses...

O'Neil: Three things (I think) I know about the Seahawks' upcoming draft

It has been nine years since Seattle used its own first-round pick to choose a player. That was 2011 when the Seahawks picked James Carpenter No. 25 overall. Since then, the Seahawks have consistently traded down – and often out – of the first round entirely. Here’s what has happened with Seattle’s own first-round pick over the previous eight drafts:

2012: Seattle held the 12th overall selection. The Seahawks traded that pick to the Eagles who used it on Fletcher Cox. The Seahawks moved back three spots, picked Bruce Irvin at No. 15, and received the fourth-round pick used on defensive end Jaye Howard and the sixth-round choice used to select cornerback Jeremy Lane.

2013: Seattle held the 25th overall pick, traded it to Minnesota as part of the package for Percy Harvin. The Vikings used the selection to draft cornerback Xavier Rhodes.

2014: Seattle held the 32nd overall pick, traded it to Minnesota which drafted quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. The Seahawks moved back eight spots, getting the 40th overall pick as well as a fourth-round pick, No. 108 overall. The Seahawks moved back another five spots in the second round before selecting wide receiver Paul Richardson with the No. 45 selection, and using the fourth-round pick to choose defensive end Cassius Marsh.

2015: Seattle held the 31st overall pick, trading it to New Orleans for tight end Jimmy Graham. The Seahawks also gave up center Max Unger and acquired a fourth-round pick, No. 112 overall. The Saints used the first-round pick to choose linebacker Stephone Anthony. The fourth-round pick Seattle acquired is one of three draft choices the Seahawks traded to Washington to move up 26 spots in the third round and choose Tyler Lockett.

2016: Seattle held the 26th overall pick, which it traded to Denver for the 31st selection (which Seattle used on Germain Ifedi) and a third-round pick, No. 94 overall, which Seattle used to choose Nick Vannett.

2017: Seattle again held the 26th overall pick, which it traded to Atlanta for a first-round pick (No. 31), a third-round pick (No. 95) and a 7th-round choice, (No. 249). Seattle traded back again from No. 31, giving that pick to San Francisco, moving back three slots to the No. 34 pick and picking up a fourth-round pick, No. 111. Seattle slid back from No. 34 to No. 35, picking up a sixth-round pick, No. 187, from Jacksonville to switch spots. The final tally: Atlanta chose Tak McKinley at No. 26 with the first-round pick it acquired from the Seahawks; San Francisco picked Reuben Foster at No. 31 and the Jaguars picked offensive tackle Cam Robinson at No. 34. The Seahawks wound up with DT Malik McDowell (No. 35), S Delano Hill (No. 95), S Tedric Thompson (No. 111), S Michael Tyson (No. 187) and RB Chris Carson (No. 249).

2018: Seattle held the 18th overall pick, traded that and a seventh-round pick (No. 248) to Green Bay for the 27th pick of the first-round, a third-round pick (No. 76) and a sixth-round pick (No. 186). Seattle traded that third-round pick to Pittsburgh, moving back to No. 79 and picking up a seventh-round pick (No. 220). The Packers chose CB Jaire Alexander at No. 18, and some linebacker named Kendall Donnerson in the seventh round (No. 248). The Steelers chose QB Mason Rudolph with the third-round pick. Seattle chose Rashaad Penny in the first round (No. 27), Rasheem Green in the third round (No. 79), Jacob Martin in the sixth round (No. 186) and QB Alex McGough in the seventh (No. 220).

2019: Seattle held its own first-round pick at No. 21 and the Chiefs’ first-round pick at No. 29 by virtue of the Frank Clark trade. The Seahawks actually used the Chiefs’ first-round pick to select DE L.J. Collier. The Seahawks traded back four times from No. 21, picking up three fourth-round choices and a fourth-round selection, before choosing Marquise Blair in the second round (No. 47 overall). The Seahawks then used the third-round pick it acquired (No. 77 overall) and one of those three fourth-round picks (No. 118) to acquire the last pick of the second round and choose DK Metcalf. Finally, Seattle moved down six spots with one of their two remaining fourth-round picks and picked up a sixth-round pick. So an accounting of what Seattle turned that first-round pick into: S Marquise Blair (No. 47), WR DK Metcalf (No. 64), WR Gary Jennings (No. 120), CB Ugo Amadi (No. 132) and RB Travis Homer (No. 204).

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked Seahawks Beat Reporters "Are there names that are being uttered in the organization?"

The names are:

OL Lloyd Cushenberry LSU
LB Davion Taylor Colorado
WR Anthony Gandy-Golden Liberty

But this is BEFORE THE COMBINE

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if this isolated-in-the-basement style draft is going to reduce the number of trades. Seems like that may be a little tougher to pull off with front offices not being all in the same room to hash it out in a tight time window.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if this isolated-in-the-basement style draft is going to reduce the number of trades. Seems like that may be a little tougher to pull off with front offices not being all in the same room to hash it out in a tight time window.

We could see at least 4 to 5 in the first round. Niners doubling up on both picks trading back.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is a crap shoot where you miss a lot more then hit. Reason why teams want to trade down is to get more chances to hit. See where the 49ers are wanting to trade down from the 2 first round picks they have.

yeah and it seems the average is around 33% hit. I think the Hawks are lower than the average if you take out 2010-2012. The Hawks need to start wheeling and dealing because this team needs a rebuild in the worst way and they need the capital. This draft is going to be a strange thing to watch and will be so different than in the past. I think we will see more trades this week BEFORE this draft that involves picks. Just going to be to hard to make those type trades on draft day now. We might see something like Day two picks traded during the first round of the draft i just can not see that many on the clock type trades happening. Who ever handles this "isolation" draft the best will have the best shot at a solid draft class.