• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worried. It happens and he will likely get his velo up.

Colby never really was a hard thrower, I wouldn't expect that at this stage of ST, coming off knee surgery, that he would be too concerned about working on his velocity. If he's still at 84 in a few weeks, maybe there should be concern, but not in his second start I wouldn't think

Colby was on interviewed after the game on ESPN and he said he knew when he was warming up he didn't have much today. But he felt comfortable, got his work in and is feeling great.

A week or so ago, I mentioned something about Darvish looking 10-15 lbs heavier, according to one of the radio reports. But Colby said today, "it looks like 20 to me and it's all in shape muscle. Very impressive."

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox Outright Mike Olt

Olt, 27, was once a top prospect in the Rangers organization, but he’s dealt with vision issues and has not yet been able to translate his robust minor league offensive production to the major league level. Over 400 career MLB plate appearances, Olt has slashed just .168/.250/.330 with a 37% strikeout rate, though he has hit 16 home runs in that span.

Sure wish he could have found more success.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby was on interviewed after the game on ESPN and he said he knew when he was warming up he didn't have much today. But he felt comfortable, got his work in and is feeling great.

A week or so ago, I mentioned something about Darvish looking 10-15 lbs heavier, according to one of the radio reports. But Colby said today, "it looks like 20 to me and it's all in shape muscle. Very impressive."

Sounds good for both guys. Can't imagine anything else from these two.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, my sentence structure took a hard left one on me back a few posts ago. :doh:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really cared for the Desmond signing because I'm a Rua fan, not to mention the guys coming up quickly behind him. I'm not sure if Rua isn't already a better hitter than Desmond. Desmond has good power and probably shows it more consistently at this point, but Rua is getting bigger and I see him as a potential 25 HR/year guy.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peavy throws better in Giants' loss to Rangers
By ALAN ESKEW
Associated Press
March 7, 2016

SURPRISE, Ariz. (AP) San Francisco veteran right-hander Jake Peavy pitched much better in his second start, but the Texas Rangers rallied for a 6-5 victory Monday.

Peavy, who surrendered six runs on nine hits in 1 2-3 innings Thursday against Milwaukee, yielded two runs on five hits over three innings against the Rangers.

Robinson Chirinos and Adrian Beltre had sacrifice flies off Peavy.

Kyle Blanks homered off Colby Lewis in the Giants first.

Ryan Rua went 3 for 3 with two doubles and three RBIs, including a two-run double in the Rangers' three-run ninth.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really cared for the Desmond signing because I'm a Rua fan, not to mention the guys coming up quickly behind him. I'm not sure if Rua isn't already a better hitter than Desmond. Desmond has good power and probably shows it more consistently at this point, but Rua is getting bigger and I see him as a potential 25 HR/year guy.

Well a little competition never hurt anyone, may the best man win, Desmond was signed bc Rua was hurt and didn't play well last year when given possibly his one real chance, Hamilton was hurt and Mazara was seen as needing more time in AAA along with Gallo and Brinson

8 million dollar contingency plan is fine by me, especially since it could've been partially avoided if Rua had stayed healthy and played well last year

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well a little competition never hurt anyone, may the best man win, Desmond was signed bc Rua was hurt and didn't play well last year when given possibly his one real chance, Hamilton was hurt and Mazara was seen as needing more time in AAA along with Gallo and Brinson

8 million dollar contingency plan is fine by me, especially since it could've been partially avoided if Rua had stayed healthy and played well last year

I guess. Cardinals might be in the market for a SS after the Peralta injury.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depth is good to have, especially guys that can play multiple positions. Maybe someone gets moved at some point for another position of need as well. Desmond might fetch you something decent at the trade deadline, if he became expendable. Don't think you can have too many options. Personally I might think about sitting or moving EA, if he continues with the errors on routine plays. Good to see the competition in ST too

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thought that earlier, would be interesting to see if we could move Elvis, with the Desmond/Profar options at SS maybe? Obviously Profar has to prove to be ML option after 2 years out of baseball though

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guess? Was Rua not the opening day LFer? Did he not get hurt almost immediately? Did he not disappoint when he finally came back, were there not plenty of opportunities for him to take back the LF job?

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point and felt pretty much the same way. Desmond's three year decline offensively would have been enough to scare me away. If he doesn't rebound in a big way I wonder how much patience the Rangers will have with Desmond. As long as they aren't hesitant to correct it if it proves to be a mistake then we will be fine.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost any other year Rua would actually have a shot at winning a spot out of ST. His injury last year and the people in front of him presently equals some very bad timing for the young man.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOT RANGER RELATED: I tried to stick it in the offseason thread but thats been closed.

These crazy baseball guaranteed contracts sometimes lead to this kind of stuff. I would certainly be upset if the Rangers had given this guy this kind of contract. Guess that was on BoSox though huh?

Carl Crawford will make $20.75 million to be a bench player in 2016

By Mike Axisa | Baseball Writer

March 7, 2016 7:09 pm ET

Carl Crawford is about to become one of the highest-paid bench players in baseball history. On Monday, the Dodgers informed Crawford he will be the team's fourth outfielder this season despite his $20.75 million salary.

MLB.com's Ken Gurnick has the story:

"They told me there will be a lot of at-bats for me, but 'Dre starts, and he's earned it," said Crawford, who went 2-for-3 with a triple and two RBIs in Sunday's 5-2 win over the Giants.

"I'll get spot starts and be ready to pinch-hit for the pitcher a lot. That's pretty much it -- just be ready to come off the bench.

'Dre is Andre Ethier, who will be the team's starting left fielder after hitting .294/.366/.486 (136 OPS+) with 14 home runs in 2015. Joc Pederson will play center field and Yasiel Puigwill be in right. Scott Van Slyke, another outfielder, will be on the bench as well.

Crawford, 34, hit .265/.304/.403 (95 OPS+) with four home runs and 10 stolen bases in only 69 games last season. He opened the season as the starting left fielder, but an oblique strain sidelined Crawford for three months and allowed Ethier to wrestle the job away from him.

Although he'll start the season as the fourth outfielder, Crawford could come into regular at-bats early in the season. Pederson had a brutal second half last year and has been a mechanical mess this spring -- he's struck out five times in seven at-bats already -- and both Puig and Ethier could benefit from regular rest given their past injury issues.

To Crawford's credit, he understands the situation and blames himself for being on the bench. He's not sulking or demanding more playing time.

"I want to play, but I understand I put myself in this situation, so I knew it could happen," said Crawford. "I'm not in position to argue with them. Right now, I do what's asked of me and keep trying to improve myself and be sharp and ready to play when my number is called."
The Dodgers owe Crawford $20.75 million in 2016 plus another $21 million in 2017. They've been trying to trade him (and Ethier) for at least 18 months now but have found no takers. Their salaries -- Ethier is owed $38 million through 2017 -- mean releasing them is a non-option.

These situations have a way of working themselves out. Injuries happen and players fail to produce. That's part of baseball. Crawford is the No. 4 guy right now and it appears the Dodgers have too many outfielders, but before you know it, you'll look up in July and Crawford will have 300 plate appearances. Baseball is weird like that.

USATSI_9162406.jpg
Carl Crawford will be a bench player in 2016 despite his $20.75 million salary.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a wealth of SS's. I really like Profar and hope he makes a comeback and we get to keep him.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost any other year Rua would actually have a shot at winning a spot out of ST. His injury last year and the people in front of him presently equals some very bad timing for the young man.

It is great Rus is doing well and I hope it translates to the big stage. I wonder if he is ahead of Gallo at 3B if Beltre goes down early. I think Gallo may have a bit of a learning curve to get over so perhaps I till that happens Rua is a better candidate. Any thoughts?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guess? Was Rua not the opening day LFer? Did he not get hurt almost immediately? Did he not disappoint when he finally came back, were there not plenty of opportunities for him to take back the LF job?
He did struggle for a few games when he first came back in June and understandably so. To me the .871 OPS in July was enough for him to win a spot, but he only got 1 start in August and 1 more in September.

The injury was the disappointment more than the player to me.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is great Rus is doing well and I hope it translates to the big stage. I wonder if he is ahead of Gallo at 3B if Beltre goes down early. I think Gallo may have a bit of a learning curve to get over so perhaps I till that happens Rua is a better candidate. Any thoughts?

I think Joey needs a full year at RR probably. The swing and misses seem to have gotten in his head somewhat and now he's taking pitches for K's that I think he would normally fight off or have swung at previously. Maybe it is pitch recognition to a degree as well. No rush IMO, let him build his confidence, unless there is a injury need to be filled. I hope he wins a job out of ST next year and never looks back

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably if it happens early in the year. If it is in the second half of the season I expect Gallo to have the first shot. That assumes Rua has a great start to his season at AAA. The same might be the case if Moreland goes down early unless Ruggiano is doing well in Mitch's place.