• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder how much declining to play Winter Ball hurt Rua in the eyes of the front office. Based on his start to ST I would say the young man made the right decision though.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did struggle for a few games when he first came back in June and understandably so. To me the .871 OPS in July was enough for him to win a spot, but he only got 1 start in August and 1 more in September.

The injury was the disappointment more than the player to me.

I was good with Rua getting a shot or the Desmond signing, but relying on Rua and Ruggiano going into the season was disconcerting, so to me Desmond was a buy low insurance policy

I like Rua, but he didn't do himself any favors last year

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder how much declining to play Winter Ball hurt Rua in the eyes of the front office. Based on his start to ST I would say the young man made the right decision though.

I would like to see Rua ABs vs just read stats but It seems to me Choice was hot in ST but it did not translate to the Bigs. I saw your OPS stat but what kind of sample was it? Rua seemed to look overwhelmed from the naked eye. Of course maybe the experience will serve him well. He has definite MLB power IMO and versatility is a plus

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't he choose to get married instead? I wouldnt really hold that against a young kid, however I hope he lives happily ever after.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see Rua ABs bad read stats but It seems to me Choice was hot in ST but it did not translate to the Bigs. I saw your OPS stat but what kind of sample was it? Rua seemed to look overwhelmed from the naked eye. Of course maybe the experience will serve him well. He has definite MLB power IMO and versatility is a plus

34 PAs and 33 ABs in, 8 hits with 3 6 of those being HRs & doubles (3 each) Nice OPS but still only a .242 AVG

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see Rua ABs vs just read stats but It seems to me Choice was hot in ST but it did not translate to the Bigs. I saw your OPS stat but what kind of sample was it? Rua seemed to look overwhelmed from the naked eye. Of course maybe the experience will serve him well. He has definite MLB power IMO and versatility is a plus
It was for the entire month of July and consisted of 33 AB. It was the chance they gave him and he did well. My point was that he did do well when given an opportunity last year just as he did in 2014. Other than struggling for a few games when he first came back from a long layoff he did fine with his opportunity. If the sample size was small it shouldn't have any effect on judging what he did with the opportunity. If anything it would have been a legitimate excuse had he done bad. By the way, the game before he got hurt he went 3 for 5 so like I said earlier the kid had very bad timing.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
34 PAs and 33 ABs in, 8 hits with 3 6 of those being HRs & doubles (3 each) Nice OPS but still only a .242 AVG
I will take that OPS with that average especially under those circumstances.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he choose to get married instead? I wouldnt really hold that against a young kid, however I hope he lives happily ever after.

For different reasons, Rangers' Gallo and Rua pass on winter league play | SportsDay

Rua, the opening day left fielder last year, turned down a spot in the Arizona Fall League, which would have enabled him to stay sharp in case the club needed him during the playoffs. After a frustrating and injury-riddled season, Rua decided it was better to return to his home in Ohio and clear his head.

"I wanted to play as much as I wanted to be home," Rua said. "I wanted to get home and relax, get healthy and quicker and stronger so that I was ready to compete this year."

Rangers' Ryan Rua, Joey Gallo look to rebound

Rua is back in good graces with the organization after a difference of opinion with the Rangers following last season. The Rangers wanted him to play in the Arizona Fall League, but Rua declined for personal reasons.

"I talked to [general manager Jon Daniels]," Rua said. "We had a lengthy conversation and we both have a good understanding. It's behind us."

Rua needed the time off to prepare for his wedding and clear his head from a disappointing season. He seized the Opening Day job with a terrific Spring Training but never fully recovered after hurting the ankle during the home opener on April 10 against the Astros.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was 33 ABs, doesn't really tell me much, other than he had a solid power showing for a couple games
It should tell you he did pretty good with the small opportunity he got shouldn't it? If not then the poor performance in 27 AB in June shouldn't tell you much of anything negatively about him either.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should tell you he did pretty good with the small opportunity he got shouldn't it?

He did fine, that's not enough for me to be comfortable trusting him with a starting LF job when the rest of his his season looked like .182/.200/.295

Maybe 33 ABs is enough for you, not me

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did fine, that's not enough for me to be comfortable trusting him with a starting LF job when the rest of his his season looked like .182/.200/.295

Maybe 33 ABs is enough for you, not me
What I was saying was mainly in response to what you said when you said, "Did he not disappoint when he finally came back, were there not plenty of opportunities for him to take back the LF job?" In other words in answer to your questions, no he didn't disappoint when he came back and there were not plenty of opportunities for him to take the job back. With the limited opportunities and his small sample success in July it appears to me that he did about all that could have been expected and he still didn't get to stay in the lineup.

His success in those 33 ABs were enough for me to say that he did what they gave him the opportunity to do. That is all he could do.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was good hearing Eric Nadel talking during the game today about when he first started going to baseball games when he was a kid. In order, during the first four games he went to as a kid he witnessed HRs by Aaron, Mays, Snyder, and Banks.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of Rua news around tonight it seems

Ryan Rua keeps on hitting, making his case to start the year in the big leagues | SportsDay

Ryan Rua completed the best 48 hours of camp to date by going 3-for-3 with two doubles and three RBIs in the Texas Rangers' 6-5 win over San Francisco on Monday . He went 4-for-4 in a "B'' game against the Chicago White Sox on Sunday.

Rua, the opening day left fielder last season, has made substantial changes to his swing. He has decreased the front-leg kick and is trying to drive pitches up the middle rather than try to pull them as far as possible.

Manager Jeff Banister called it "a much better approach'' than what Rua showed last spring. That helps his chances of making the club.

"Right now, everything feels good," Rua said. "It's trusting the process and what you go through every day.''

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I was saying was mainly in response to what you said when you said, "Did he not disappoint when he finally came back, were there not plenty of opportunities for him to take back the LF job?" In other words in answer to your questions, no he didn't disappoint when he came back and there were not plenty of opportunities for him to take the job back. With the limited opportunities and his small sample success in July it appears to me that he did about all that could have been expected and he still didn't get to stay in the lineup.

His success in those 33 ABs were enough for me to say that he did what they gave him the opportunity to do. That is all he could do.

And all I've ever said is I don't mind Desmond being brought in to compete for a LF job

Y'all don't like the signing, and I don't have a problem with it, simple as that

Yet several feel the need to justify Rua's claim to the job based on 33 July ABs and about 11 ST ABs?

I can't have reservations about the rest of his body of work from last year and be content that Rua has some competition now?

I've said repeatedly I don't love the Desmond signing, I just don't mind it, I like the competition in LF, and may the best man win... if given equal playing time I have a feeling Rua and Desmond put up similar numbers, but Rua has yet to actually prove anything... ever at the ML level

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty pragmatic team here. I have to think the best LF plays most of the time. Josh is out of the picture for now and has been promised nothing. It looks like Elvis is dropping in the order. If Rua prove himself, he will play IMO. No need to fear past cronyism on this club

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And all I've ever said is I don't mind Desmond being brought in to compete for a LF job

Y'all don't like the signing, and I don't have a problem with it, simple as that

Yet several feel the need to justify Rua's claim to the job based on 33 July ABs and about 11 ST ABs?

I can't have reservations about the rest of his body of work from last year and be content that Rua has some competition now?

I've said repeatedly I don't love the Desmond signing, I just don't mind it, I like the competition in LF, and may the best man win... if given equal playing time I have a feeling Rua and Desmond put up similar numbers, but Rua has yet to actually prove anything... ever at the ML level

I don't really understand the grousing over 8MM one year deal either. It's gotten a lot of virtual ink on other websites as well. I would have never expected so many words over Ian Desmond and Austin Jackson. If Desmond is league average he will be worth the deal and helps as a bridge for the future, so that's a win.