• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was mentioned earlier that Mike Olt was designated for assignment by the White Sox to make room for Austin Jackson. Just read online that last August, Mike Olt was designated for assignment by the Cubs... to make room for Austin Jackson.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And all I've ever said is I don't mind Desmond being brought in to compete for a LF job

Y'all don't like the signing, and I don't have a problem with it, simple as that

Yet several feel the need to justify Rua's claim to the job based on 33 July ABs and about 11 ST ABs?

I can't have reservations about the rest of his body of work from last year and be content that Rua has some competition now?

I've said repeatedly I don't love the Desmond signing, I just don't mind it, I like the competition in LF, and may the best man win... if given equal playing time I have a feeling Rua and Desmond put up similar numbers, but Rua has yet to actually prove anything... ever at the ML level
I am separating the two. His claim to the job this season has nothing to do with my feelings that I mentioned before. I thought he was going to start the season in AAA before we signed Desmond. I was simply saying that I didn't agree with what you said about him last season. I thought Hamilton and Ruggiano would cause Rua to start at AAA and probably play there most of the year.

When I said, "he didn't disappoint when he came back and there were not plenty of opportunities for him to take the job back. With the limited opportunities and his small sample success in July it appears to me that he did about all that could have been expected and he still didn't get to stay in the lineup" it wasn't about Desmond at all. Somehow I think you are thinking I am tying the two together and I am not.

Yes, you are quite welcome to have all the reservations you think you should have. I just disagree with what you said earlier about what Rua did last year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost any other year Rua would actually have a shot at winning a spot out of ST. His injury last year and the people in front of him presently equals some very bad timing for the young man.

Not to mention, the young man did himself no favors in refusing to go to winter ball either.

And, I heard just yesterday Desmond really wasn't looking to be an everyday SS.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand the grousing over 8MM one year deal either. It's gotten a lot of virtual ink on other websites as well. I would have never expected so many words over Ian Desmond and Austin Jackson. If Desmond is league average he will be worth the deal and helps as a bridge for the future, so that's a win.

I think you about summed it all up with this post.

Bottom line for me, what exactly is the downside of this signing? If he doesn't pan out, so be it. If he gets beat out, ditto.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand the grousing over 8MM one year deal either. It's gotten a lot of virtual ink on other websites as well. I would have never expected so many words over Ian Desmond and Austin Jackson. If Desmond is league average he will be worth the deal and helps as a bridge for the future, so that's a win.

Hasn't been a lot of subject matter lately and folks are anxious to get involved in 2016. No problem that I can see but you make a good point about 8MM for one year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't been a lot of subject matter lately and folks are anxious to get involved in 2016. No problem that I can see but you make a good point about 8MM for one year.

jta mentioned a few posts back, something to the effect of, "what's so wrong with some competition?" So let the better man take the position.

Really looks like LF, 5th starter, and the back spots are about all that's left to decide on, unless Mr D pulls a rabbit outta nowhere.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jta mentioned a few posts back, something to the effect of, "what's so wrong with some competition?" So let the better man take the position.

Really looks like LF, 5th starter, and the back spots are about all that's left to decide on, unless Mr D pulls a rabbit outta nowhere.

with the way Rua is playing it will be a shame if he doesn't make the 25 but too many in front of him

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention, the young man did himself no favors in refusing to go to winter ball either.

And, I heard just yesterday Desmond really wasn't looking to be an everyday SS.

Based on the following statements I think an argument can be made that Rua did indeed do himself some favors.

Rua, the opening day left fielder last year, turned down a spot in the Arizona Fall League, which would have enabled him to stay sharp in case the club needed him during the playoffs. After a frustrating and injury-riddled season, Rua decided it was better to return to his home in Ohio and clear his head.

"I wanted to play as much as I wanted to be home," Rua said. "I wanted to get home and relax, get healthy and quicker and stronger so that I was ready to compete this year."

Rua, the opening day left fielder last season, has made substantial changes to his swing. He has decreased the front-leg kick and is trying to drive pitches up the middle rather than try to pull them as far as possible.

Manager Jeff Banister called it "a much better approach'' than what Rua showed last spring. That helps his chances of making the club.

"Right now, everything feels good," Rua said. "It's trusting the process and what you go through every day.''

His great start to ST as well as Banister's comment seem to indicate that Rua prepared well in the offseason instead of playing winter ball. Just a thought.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the way Rua is playing it will be a shame if he doesn't make the 25 but too many in front of him
I remember years in the not too distant past when I wondered what in the world we would do if we had an injury because we had so few real options ready in the minors. This year will be a lot different in that regard.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His great start to ST as well as Banister's comment seem to indicate that Rua prepared well in the offseason instead of playing winter ball. Just a thought.

All this is good to hear. However,had he gone to winter ball and showed well, he'd had a real opportunity to be in the drivers seat for the starting position in LF. Plus, it may have negated the signing of Ruggiano and perhaps Desmond as well. Thus giving the team other ways to have have invested their money and opportunities for playing time.

But like you said, just a thought.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you believe LF is open after JD said the position belonged to Desmond right after the signing?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you believe LF is open after JD said the position belonged to Desmond right after the signing?

Not necessarily.

But from a purely financial standpoint, we've invested $8 mil in Desmond, and we've got options available for Rua. So I can't help but feel Desmond is going to be given more than a fair shake at winning the position. Probably more than a "fair shake" actually.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this is good to hear. However,had he gone to winter ball and showed well, he'd had a real opportunity to be in the drivers seat for the starting position in LF. Plus, it may have negated the signing of Ruggiano and perhaps Desmond as well. Thus giving the team other ways to have have invested their money and opportunities for playing time.

But like you said, just a thought.
Then again, Patrick Kivlehan had a fantastic showing in Winter Ball and he is nowhere near a starting position. One of your personal favorites, Alex Claudio, also had a very good performance this offseason in Winter Ball.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily.

But from a purely financial standpoint, we've invested $8 mil in Desmond, and we've got options available for Rua. So I can't help but feel Desmond is going to be given more than a fair shake at winning the position. Probably more than a "fair shake" actually.
I think he will have to play himself out of the position in the regular season and by that time Hamilton should be ready. I don't believe his spot is cemented for the whole year by any means, but I doubt he could do anything in ST to lose his position.

I expect to see a lot of guys show up in LF for us this year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again, Patrick Kivlehan had a fantastic showing in Winter Ball and he is nowhere near a starting position. One of your personal favorites, Alex Claudio, also had a very good performance this offseason in Winter Ball.

But here's the difference in those guys and Rua. Rua had earned a starting position in LF last season. So obviously, the team had confidence in him to begin with.

You're attempting to make it sound like every player who does well in winter ball gets an automatic nod for the bigs. I've never insinuated this, or gotten even close. However, since Rua had been there before, I would think a good winter showing would have been a terrific step for him regaining the position.

And don't you think we wouldn't have signed either Ruggy or Desmond, or both, had this happened?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But here's the difference in those guys and Rua. Rua had earned a starting position in LF last season. So obviously, the team had confidence in him to begin with.

Your attempting to make it sound like every player who does well in winter ball gets and automatic nod for the bigs. I've never insinuated this, or gotten even close. However, since Rua had been there before, I would think a good winter showing would have been a terrific step for him regaining the position.

And don't you think we wouldn't have signed either Ruggy or Desmond, or both, had this happened?
Not necessarily. Like Ryan said, he needed to clear his head and get well. I don't know that that would have happened playing Winter Ball. I will trust him for that decision since he should have known best what he needed. I would say based on the early results and the comment Banny made that he did do the right thing.

I only mentioned Kivlehan because he has had success in the minors and he is very close himself. He has had more AAA ABs than Rua and if you count Ryan's MLB ABs then Rua has only had about 70 more ABs above the AA level than Kivlehan has. I understand you were not insinuating that. I only wanted to show a case where doing well in Winter Ball for a guy who has played a full season in AAA is still not enough to win a job or even be remotely considered.

One thing to note is that Rua didn't play Winter Ball before last season either. Management may have held something against him for not going to play this offseason, but if they did then I think they were wrong to do so.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am separating the two. His claim to the job this season has nothing to do with my feelings that I mentioned before. I thought he was going to start the season in AAA before we signed Desmond. I was simply saying that I didn't agree with what you said about him last season. I thought Hamilton and Ruggiano would cause Rua to start at AAA and probably play there most of the year.

When I said, "he didn't disappoint when he came back and there were not plenty of opportunities for him to take the job back. With the limited opportunities and his small sample success in July it appears to me that he did about all that could have been expected and he still didn't get to stay in the lineup" it wasn't about Desmond at all. Somehow I think you are thinking I am tying the two together and I am not.

Yes, you are quite welcome to have all the reservations you think you should have. I just disagree with what you said earlier about what Rua did last year.

He had a couple nice games and hit a couple HRs, but to me that didn't go about reversing any of the disappointment of the rest of the season,

It doesn't change the fact that in "proving himself he still only hit .242, and his .871 OPS was propped up by a couple games with HRs,

all said and done he didn't do anything in my mind or obviously the front offices or Banister to keep him from landing back on the bench or them from bringing in Desmond

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. Like Ryan said, he needed to clear his head and get well. I don't know that that would have happened playing Winter Ball. I will trust him for that decision since he should have known best what he needed. I would say based on the early results and the comment Banny made that he did do the right thing.

I only mentioned Kivlehan because he has had success in the minors and he is very close himself. He has had more AAA ABs than Rua and if you count Ryan's MLB ABs then Rua has only had about 70 more ABs above the AA level than Kivlehan has. I understand you were not insinuating that. I only wanted to show a case where doing well in Winter Ball for a guy who has played a full season in AAA is still not enough to win a job or even be remotely considered.

One thing to note is that Rua didn't play Winter Ball before last season either. Management may have held something against him for not going to play this offseason, but if they did then I think they were wrong to do so.

I don't think anything is being held against Rua b/c of Winter Ball

1) Rua's proved himself last year to be:
a) Injured or
b) Ineffective... And I'm sorry 33 ABs where he hit .242 and walked once doesn't prove much of anything to me when taken as a whole with the rest of the season, that's just cherry picking at that point

2) Also Hamilton is going to miss a month or longer

3) They want Gallo, Mazara and Brinson to spend quite a bit of time in AAA

4) Kivlehan has proven even less than Rua at the ML level

5) Ruggiano has proven himself to be more of a 4OFer type than anything else

Lastly, Desmond was brought in b/c they wanted a proven bat in LF at a discounted rate... and now the have Ruggiano, Rua, Kivlehan and Desmond to battle it out... with Desmond probably having a big advantage b/c he's done it before and he's getting 8 million...

Now did the team feel they had a lack of proven options b/c they didn't have a Winter Ball sample from Rua to base their decision on? That's a different thing all together

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As said earlier Choice did well I the exhibition season. It proves nothing. I would like to see Rua perform again to see if progress re leg kick translates. I think it helped Elvis.
I think it is wrong to be suspicious of the FO alleged prejudgment see Rua. He will get a fair shake IMO

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is wrong to be suspicious of the FO alleged prejudgment see Rua.

No one's being suspicious about anything Kelley. Daniels met with him about him not getting ready for emergency duty during last years PO run, and winter ball. There was a post here, believe it was yesterday about this.

Hey, I've been a big supporter of Rua. But I do not like the way last year ended with him refusing to be ready for our post season.

Tell ya what. There was another guy who did this and his ass is elsewhere right now. Granted, it wasn't just for not doing what was expected, but he's still gone none-the-less.