• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Auburn Superthread

Which matches up better against FSU? OSU or Auburn?

• Total voters

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happens even at lower divisions though, where much bigger playoffs occur. Deserving teams still get left out.

Don't think there's a way to eliminate human bias.

Of course but I have less of an issue with a 8-3 team getting left out as the 17th best team in a 16 team playoff than I do a unbeaten or 1 loss team getting no shot to play for a title. Human bias will always exist but when we get to the point where we are debating the merits of moving a 1 loss team ahead of an unbeaten team we have reached a point where the bias ( deserved or not ) has gone too far.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happens even at lower divisions though, where much bigger playoffs occur. Deserving teams still get left out.

Don't think there's a way to eliminate human bias.
-
that is a bit different. There is a big difference when you are debating #2/#3 vs #16/#17. All arguments are not equal.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, when I try and point out how 3 low-ranked or unranked B1G teams almost beat three top 10 teams last season in their bowl games, I still only get told how weak those teams are. Why is the logic different now?

no... those big 10 teams were decent, but not as good as the teams they played. thats why nebraska and michigan finished ranked but really low. just like aTm. and georgia has 2 wins over the top 25. that's 2 more than ohio state if you are counting. just fyi.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course but I have less of an issue with a 8-3 team getting left out as the 17th best team in a 16 team playoff than I do a unbeaten or 1 loss team getting no shot to play for a title. Human bias will always exist but when we get to the point where we are debating the merits of moving a 1 loss team ahead of an unbeaten team we have reached a point where the bias ( deserved or not ) has gone too far.

WHY? If OSU loses nobody will bring up Northern Illinois. Fact is schedules are wildly different. I have no idea if Auburn would go undefeated in the Big or ACC. I dont know if OSU or FSU would go undefeated in the SEC. I am not sure AUburn wouldnt have another loss if they played a Pac schedule. People are debating teams, because nobody really knows who the best team is in the nation. This s exactly why there should be a playoff with at least every conference champ in it.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHY? If OSU loses nobody will bring up Northern Illinois. Fact is schedules are wildly different. I have no idea if Auburn would go undefeated in the Big or ACC. I dont know if OSU or FSU would go undefeated in the SEC. I am not sure AUburn wouldnt have another loss if they played a Pac schedule. People are debating teams, because nobody really knows who the best team is in the nation. This s exactly why there should be a playoff with at least every conference champ in it.
I agree but eligible conferences need to be limited to 4 majors (meaning the ACC or the Big 12 needs to fold) and all 4 hold a conference championship game which become the defacto 1st round of the playoffs.

You won't get the best 4 teams in the playoffs every year but at the least the best 8 get a shot at it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but eligible conferences need to be limited to 4 majors (meaning the ACC or the Big 12 needs to fold) and all 4 hold a conference championship game which become the defacto 1st round of the playoffs.

You won't get the best 4 teams in the playoffs every year but at the least the best 8 get a shot at it.
-
You make it a 6 team playoff with the top 2 getting a bye. There are lots of possibilities to make it a better system. My biggest pt is that we do not know.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because its not consistent man. In 11 OK State had a top 5 SOS, Bams was 23rd. Not as big a difference as this year I understand BUT OSU hasnt LOST a game this year either. The problem is that the voters arent consistent. Hell based off of what we saw in 2011 Mizzou should be ahead of Auburn right now. We see this kind of thing every year. I bring up 11 because everyone remembers it. I cannot stand the way CFB does shit. It is biased, it has no sonsistent guidelines, its based on a general lack of knowledge from voters and it makes no damn sense.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no... those big 10 teams were decent, but not as good as the teams they played. thats why nebraska and michigan finished ranked but really low. just like aTm. and georgia has 2 wins over the top 25. that's 2 more than ohio state if you are counting. just fyi.

Nope, they were routinely called weak. Either you win and you're good or you lose and you're weak. That's just the way it is according to folks on here. Also, we have 1 top 25 win, and will soon have 2. We also don't have 4 losses. Perhaps if the chickenshits from Vandy hadn't cancelled on us we'd have some sort of barometer.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes you wonder if the backlash over LSU vs Bama would sway their decision one way or the other.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because its not consistent man. In 11 OK State had a top 5 SOS, Bams was 23rd. Not as big a difference as this year I understand BUT OSU hasnt LOST a game this year either. The problem is that the voters arent consistent. Hell based off of what we saw in 2011 Mizzou should be ahead of Auburn right now. We see this kind of thing every year. I bring up 11 because everyone remembers it. I cannot stand the way CFB does shit. It is biased, it has no sonsistent guidelines, its based on a general lack of knowledge from voters and it makes no damn sense.
-
that doesnt make it wrong. Inconsistency is definitely a problem and that is why a playoff is needed. OSU should have been in, but that is a different argument. I posted in another thread that the team with a more losses has actually done better in BCS champ games. I am not arguing that OSU or Auburn deserve to be in, but simply that there is an argument. We just do not have the tools to properly evaluate, because of that the BCS and media will go into each game with a knee-jerk bias. ND happens to be fresh on people's mind, so they are reconsidering the all old "undefeated" logic.

Oney

Hoopla Cash
$ 757.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish the 4 team playoff took the top 4 conference champs myself.

It should be mandatory to win your conference. Maybe we'd get to 4 superconferences sooner.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Oklahoma St had the 107th ranked defense in the nation (out of 120 teams) and I think half of the Big 12 was ranked lower than 90. Most people probably would have changed the channel after halftime.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
that doesnt make it wrong. Inconsistency is definitely a problem and that is why a playoff is needed. OSU should have been in, but that is a different argument. I posted in another thread that the team with a more losses has actually done better in BCS champ games. I am not arguing that OSU or Auburn deserve to be in, but simply that there is an argument. We just do not have the tools to properly evaluate, because of that the BCS and media will go into each game with a knee-jerk bias. ND happens to be fresh on people's mind, so they are reconsidering the all old "undefeated" logic.

I agree with that. The problem is that the inconsistency is largely due to the bias certain leagues have for and against them. ALot of this is perpetrated by the media AND alot of it stems from the ridiculous preseason polls we get. Each year needs to be evaluated separately from all prior years IMO and the people that vote need to do better in their efforts to actually watch the other leagues play. Its no coincidence coaches/SIDs/ball boys or whoever is voting in the coaches poll tend to always rank teams from their own league higher than other people. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy IMO

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. The problem is that the inconsistency is largely due to the bias certain leagues have for and against them. ALot of this is perpetrated by the media AND alot of it stems from the ridiculous preseason polls we get. Each year needs to be evaluated separately from all prior years IMO and the people that vote need to do better in their efforts to actually watch the other leagues play. Its no coincidence coaches/SIDs/ball boys or whoever is voting in the coaches poll tend to always rank teams from their own league higher than other people. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy IMO
-
I think the debate including SOS is legit. I made it when is was OSU/Bama debate. I do not like the reasons or preceived biases that are sparking this debate, but I do think it is a step in the right direction.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he didn't see the poll.

I thought he meant he hadn't seen who voted for who rather than the poll itself.

I just realized that in the wrong tone my post may have been seen as smartass, and I wasn't trying to be.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I think the debate including SOS is legit. I made it when is was OSU/Bama debate. I do not like the reasons or preceived biases that are sparking this debate, but I do think it is a step in the right direction.

SOS is a factor for sure but I tend to use it more when comparing teams with the same record. I understand that Ohio State probably wouldnt be unbeaten playing Auburns schedule but where to you draw the line with hypotheticals. Hell maybe Ill rank Mizzou number 1 because they probably would have beaten USCe if Franklin is healthy, maybe Ill move Auburn down because the Tigers probably lose to UGA if the Dawgs are healthy, or maybe Ill rank FSU number 3 because Winston probably will be charged with r*pe. That is the problem with hypotheticals, there is no way to tell when you have gone to far with them.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
miley-twerk-chicken.gif

That's just sick. I think I'll go poke my eyes out now.:lol:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just sick. I think I'll go poke my eyes out now.:lol:

That's the goal, hoping Ohio State's players see that and have that running through their dreams for the rest of their lives. :D

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he meant he hadn't seen who voted for who rather than the poll itself.

I just realized that in the wrong tone my post may have been seen as smartass, and I wasn't trying to be.

Yeah I meant poll and therefore votes.
and dont worry I pretty much take everything anyone writes on here as being a smartass.