• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flashback 1985: Alabama beats Auburn

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's just something about the Iron Bowl where if it comes down to Alabama needing to kick at the end, it's gonna be special. Such was the case on November 30, 1985 when the annual showdown between the Alabama Crimson Tide and Auburn Tigers was played in Birmingham and on what appeared to be green concrete.

Needless to say, this is one of the biggest rivalries in sports. "Roll Tide!" and "War Eagle!" are practically audible gang signs in an ongoing war in the heart of Dixie. In 1985, there were bowl considerations, but more importantly the bragging right of saying "I'm better than you" for a year. This contest featured some quality talent including Bo Jackson on Auburn's side. The Tigers also had head coach Pat Dye on the sidelines while Ray Perkins was at the helm for the Tide.

Both teams only had 2 losses entering this contest and both of those included losses to Tennessee, but both were also coming off wins heading into Birmingham. Alabama had defeated a scrappy Southern Miss squad while Auburn had marched into Athens and conquered Georgia, one of their chief non-Alabama rivals.

By the time Thanksgiving had come and gone however, no one was thinking about Bulldogs or Golden Eagles. The Tide and Tigers were thinking of each other. The previous 3 editions of this game had all been 1-score affairs with Auburn winning 2, but Alabama winning the most recent.

In front of 75k and a live TV audience, UA got off to a 10-0 lead in the 1st. AU would score 10 of their own in the 2nd Quarter, but the CT also put up another 6, making it 16-10 Tide rolling at halftime. The 3rd Quarter saw the defense lock down on both teams before scoring opened back up in the 4th. With just a few seconds remaining, Alabama sent kicker Van Tiffin in to win it as Auburn is up 23-22.

From 52 yards out, bang. Van Tiffin forever became part of Iron Bowl history scoring the game winner. The Alabama Crimson Tide got the 25-23 win over their hated rivals.

Afterwards, both teams went bowling with Alabama beating Southern Cal in the Aloha Bowl and Auburn losing to Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl. UA would finish 9-2-1 while AU finished 8-4 which was a little more disappointing for War Eagle than they had hoped for prior to the start of the 1985 campaign.

As for the Iron Bowl, this would be Roll Tide's last win for a while as Auburn would win the next 4 before Alabama would win the next 3.

November 30, 1985 is the day Van Tiffin became a name synonymous with one of the greatest rivalries in sports and it was a heck of a kick that got it done.

RollTide1987 has the highlights.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting note, Alabama was invited to the Aloha and Auburn to the Cotton BEFORE the Iron Bowl. Normally, the Cotton might have struck a deal to take the winner of the Iron Bowl to the Cotton and loser to Aloha, but Alabama had already beaten SWC Champion Texas A&M earlier in the year, and the Cotton didn't want a rematch. Plus, they landed Heisman Winner Bo Jackson. Meanwhile, Alabama's Aloha opponent came down to the USC (5-5) vs. Oregon (5-5) game later that night @ Tokyo! Crazy season!

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting note, Alabama was invited to the Aloha and Auburn to the Cotton BEFORE the Iron Bowl. Normally, the Cotton might have struck a deal to take the winner of the Iron Bowl to the Cotton and loser to Aloha, but Alabama had already beaten SWC Champion Texas A&M earlier in the year, and the Cotton didn't want a rematch.

Besides, where would you rather spend late December, Dallas or Honolulu?

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact. Auburn leads the series since that game by a count of.....17-16

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my first Iron Bowl in person, and it remains the best game I attended. That kick is known as “The Kick” in Alabama lore.

I have gotten to know Van Tiffin’s family over the years. They live here in the Shoals. His son Lee also was our kicker, and was on the 09 BCSCG winner.

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great year where, in the Iron Bowl, good overcame the cheating evil that is the Barn. If someone could start a Go Fund me page to raise $$$ to fill Jerdon-Hair stadium to the roof with cement, that would be awesome. Then line up bulldozers to push the entire campus into the river.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great year where, in the Iron Bowl, good overcame the cheating evil that is the Barn. If someone could start a Go Fund me page to raise $$$ to fill Jerdon-Hair stadium to the roof with cement, that would be awesome. Then line up bulldozers to push the entire campus into the river.

I’d settle for pushing it into Georgia.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my first Iron Bowl in person, and it remains the best game I attended. That kick is known as “The Kick” in Alabama lore.

I have gotten to know Van Tiffin’s family over the years. They live here in the Shoals. His son Lee also was our kicker, and was on the 09 BCSCG winner.
Didn't Lee break his Dad's consecutive PAT record by one?

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Lee break his Dad's consecutive PAT record by one?

That I do not recall, but he certainly got his share of attempts. Philip Doyle and Michael Procter might’ve been a factor as well, but I cannot remember.

The best season by a Bama kicker that no one noticed was Jeremy Shelley in 2012. He was 70/70 (60/60 PATs, and 10/10 on FGs).

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That I do not recall, but he certainly got his share of attempts. Philip Doyle and Michael Procter might’ve been a factor as well, but I cannot remember.

The best season by a Bama kicker that no one noticed was Jeremy Shelley in 2012. He was 70/70 (60/60 PATs, and 10/10 on FGs).
Leigh holds the record for most points scored by an Alabama player and he beat his Dad's 135 consecutive PATs by one. Just looked it up.:D

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact. Auburn leads the series since that game by a count of.....17-16
That's like saying Alabama leads the series 8-3 since 2007. Just an arbitrary date to show an advantage. Auburn made some gains the year Alabama spent on probation (Rightfully so they cheated and got caught). 6 of those 17 wins you mentioned was while Alabama was facing scholarship limitations and depth issues. Auburn wasn't the only team knocking Alabama around those seasons. Again though Alabama was rightfully punished under the NCAA rules. It just gives Auburn that very slight edge over the period you are deciding to use.

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of kicker/punter that I still tip my hat. Lane Bearden in 2002. Guy hit like a linebacker and played most of the season on a torn acl.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Child please...Not even a top 5 Iron Bowl.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's like saying Alabama leads the series 8-3 since 2007. Just an arbitrary date to show an advantage. Auburn made some gains the year Alabama spent on probation (Rightfully so they cheated and got caught). 6 of those 17 wins you mentioned was while Alabama was facing scholarship limitations and depth issues. Auburn wasn't the only team knocking Alabama around those seasons. Again though Alabama was rightfully punished under the NCAA rules. It just gives Auburn that very slight edge over the period you are deciding to use.
True. I was just curious and looked it up. Wouldn't have said anything but 17-16 is significant too lol.