• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to trade Pablo

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one of his biggest fans. But after news came out that he wont budge from his 5 years $90 million demand for his contract its time to get something for him.

I would go to a team like the Red Sox who have Middlebrooks who is injured and has not been playing well at 3rd and trade him for prospects. The Red Sox are loaded with prospects inscluding 2 who are good at 3rd one who was brought up this year and is starting at SS. Garin Cecchini is a 3rd base prospect who is near ready to come up. Great with the bat, can steal, but is only average with the glove. They also have 3 pitchers who are going to be middle of the rotation guys. Getting one to be a 5th starter for next year would be wise.

Red Sox would do the deal cause they have a good lineup except for 2 positions. Catcher and 3rd. If they get Pablo and he does gain weight again he would be a perfect fit as a DH to replace Ortiz.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one of his biggest fans. But after news came out that he wont budge from his 5 years $90 million demand for his contract its time to get something for him.

I would go to a team like the Red Sox who have Middlebrooks who is injured and has not been playing well at 3rd and trade him for prospects. The Red Sox are loaded with prospects inscluding 2 who are good at 3rd one who was brought up this year and is starting at SS. Garin Cecchini is a 3rd base prospect who is near ready to come up. Great with the bat, can steal, but is only average with the glove. They also have 3 pitchers who are going to be middle of the rotation guys. Getting one to be a 5th starter for next year would be wise.

Red Sox would do the deal cause they have a good lineup except for 2 positions. Catcher and 3rd. If they get Pablo and he does gain weight again he would be a perfect fit as a DH to replace Ortiz.

Why would we want a bunch of prospects when we are trying to win now?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with Colin.

If we trade Pablo, that means we need to be buyers for a 3B come trade deadline if we are in contention. What do we gain?

If we keep him, AND let him walk (WCS), we got our deadline purchase early, and it didn't cost us anything.

We stay pat with him, and if he walks, he walks.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we want a bunch of prospects when we are trying to win now?

I'm not in favor of trading him (yet) but you could make a case that we don't need his bat anymore with the emergence of Belt, with Morse producing, etc. Then again it remains to be seen if those are permanent. So far Panda has given us very little and we are scoring plenty.

But as I said, it's too soon to make that call. Perhaps later in the year if it's still working and he's not that big a part of it, then you make a move...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in favor of trading him (yet) but you could make a case that we don't need his bat anymore with the emergence of Belt, with Morse producing, etc. Then again it remains to be seen if those are permanent. So far Panda has given us very little and we are scoring plenty.

But as I said, it's too soon to make that call. Perhaps later in the year if it's still working and he's not that big a part of it, then you make a move...

We are in for a dog fight this year. There is NO WAY we downgrade the team at this point due to bad contract talks.

We have a 7-bat lineup this year. You think we would still have a good offense with a 6-bat lineup?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are in for a dog fight this year. There is NO WAY we downgrade the team at this point due to bad contract talks.

We have a 7-bat lineup this year. You think we would still have a good offense with a 6-bat lineup?

Agreed. This is the first time since probably the Bonds/Kent era where we have a lineup without any gaping holes, esp once Scutaro returns. The value of that is greater than the sum of its parts.

I can understand OP's frustration to a degree, but we have no idea what the revenue situation is. The Forbes article recently discussed that it is estimated that the Giants generated $53 million in free cash flow last year, IIRC. Within reason, it's not like they can't afford him. And IIRC, the mortgage will be paid off in a few years. That alone is Panda's contract.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandoval has to relax and stay loose and forget about all this talk about his contract or it will get to him and he won't be able to perform at his highest level. Pablo plays his best ball when he is loose. He is guaranteed to get multi millions from someone so why stress. He just needs to do his thing and play 3rd base.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ONLY time this could have been a possibility would have been early in the offseason in a trade where the Giants were getting a ML player in return. Even so, the Giants don't have any replacement for him so anyone we'd be acquiring would need to be able to play 3rd. In that case, why trade Pablo at all? When the Giants traded Sanchez for Melky Cabrera, they took a position of strength (SP) and upgraded a weakness (OF). There is no huge weakness with this team because we at least have serviceable guys at each position (in 2012, we NEEDED 2 OFers. Nate was the only OFer under contract). This is a win-now team. Pablo has to be a part of it, for better or worse.

Now, if the team is out of it by the ASB, then the team will certainly explore trade options. But lets not bet on that happening :)

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big fan of Pablo.... so I would prefer he stays.

One thing in his favor for staying is the Playoffs..... I always valued a high walk rate more than traditional baseball people did in the past. We have learned that plate discipline and walks were undervalued in the 60's 70's and 80's. With the advanced stats now available .... but for the playoffs..... In the playoffs you are facing pitchers who don't give up nearly as many walks as the average pitcher does during the regular season. So the point I want to make is in the playoffs having one or two players who can hit good pitches out of the strike zone while most of the rest of the lineup keeps a good strike zone can partially negate a very good pitcher. Remember Pablo does walk at a decent rate not terribad(sp). When Pablo is on, a great pitcher can make very good pitches and still get burned by Pablo he can make a difference in the playoffs.

This doesn't mean he is untrade-able or the Giants should pay whatever his agent says the Giants should pay, but I hope his agent can be more realistic and there can be common ground for a deal.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade Pablo right now, lets see if he can get it together. That being said, I am not a fan of giving Pablo a long term contract. A guy with his body type will fall apart after he turns 30, and we won't be able to move him to 1st as he gets older. If the Giants did trade him though, they are better prepared this season to absorb that loss as compared to the last couple of years. We got Hicks, Arias, Abreu, Duvall, and maybe Dominguez who can all play 3rd.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade Pablo right now, lets see if he can get it together. That being said, I am not a fan of giving Pablo a long term contract. A guy with his body type will fall apart after he turns 30, and we won't be able to move him to 1st as he gets older. If the Giants did trade him though, they are better prepared this season to absorb that loss as compared to the last couple of years. We got Hicks, Arias, Abreu, Duvall, and maybe Dominguez who can all play 3rd.

You listed five guys who COMBINED won't have as many WAR as Panda ALONE will have in his career.

Sign the Panda!

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You listed five guys who COMBINED won't have as many WAR as Panda ALONE will have in his career.

Sign the Panda!

Panda has been a 2-2.5 WAR guy the last two years and has started this season terribly. I would be in no rush to sign him, certainly not to a contract longer than 3 years. I am not advocating replacing Pablo with one of those guys, just saying that the Giants have better insurance at 3rd now than they had the last few years (some wanted Pablo traded then as well).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panda has been a 2-2.5 WAR guy the last two years and has started this season terribly. I would be in no rush to sign him, certainly not to a contract longer than 3 years. I am not advocating replacing Pablo with one of those guys, just saying that the Giants have better insurance at 3rd now than they had the last few years (some wanted Pablo traded then as well).

But one of those options are play-off options. If Panda goes down, these options can fill in for a short while, but the org would be burning the phones looking for a replacement.

Panda will not be traded unless a) they are out of it or b) it is in some kind of blockbuster deal involving multiple players going in each direction.

In other words, he will not be traded.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But one of those options are play-off options. If Panda goes down, these options can fill in for a short while, but the org would be burning the phones looking for a replacement.

Panda will not be traded unless a) they are out of it or b) it is in some kind of blockbuster deal involving multiple players going in each direction.

In other words, he will not be traded.

If the starting pitching doesn't get right we will indeed be out of it...
Not saying that won't happen but Cain and Timmy are worrying as hell.