• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to dust off the golf swing

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These simple things will speed you up to where you're not holding anyone up significantly. We all started out once so if I'm playing with someone who does most of those things the best they can, I'll always be patient and encouraging. Only an uber douche would do otherwise.

I pick my ball up a lot, too. Another reason I can't honestly say I've ever broken 100. I might have come close a couple times...

That guy I mentioned wasn't a douche at all, he seemed like a nice guy but he was playing possessed. I guess he really wanted the course all to himself; I know I did, which is why I booked a 7AM time. Weird thing is, on a couple of holes he actually encouraged me to hit from the whites when I wanted to go from the reds. He knew the course pretty well, and knew which ones were 30 yards different or 60 yards.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pick my ball up a lot, too. Another reason I can't honestly say I've ever broken 100. I might have come close a couple times...

That guy I mentioned wasn't a douche at all, he seemed like a nice guy but he was playing possessed. I guess he really wanted the course all to himself; I know I did, which is why I booked a 7AM time. Weird thing is, on a couple of holes he actually encouraged me to hit from the whites when I wanted to go from the reds. He knew the course pretty well, and knew which ones were 30 yards different or 60 yards.

He didn't want to see you have to turn in your man card. He might have had to turn in his too just for letting you! :suds:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't want to see you have to turn in your man card. He might have had to turn in his too just for letting you! :suds:

The courses I play out here in Arizona no longer have ladies tees. They simply have four or five sets of boxes and you play from where you are comfortable. Takes some of the stigma out of guys playing the forward tees and also allows the ladies to play where they want.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to get pissed until one time I was playing with my buddy who's real good. We caught up to this slow group ahead and he whistles real loud, HEY, YOU MIND IF WE PLAY THROUGH?!

If you ask directly and loudly instead of waiting to be invited, it's amazing how many people will oblige. It's astounding how many don't even know that they're supposed to let you through. It's also douchier to refuse after being asked.

It really doesn't take long to let someone through and in the end, everyone's happier.

Exactly...karma, I have no problem letting a faster group through and it seems when I'm in the faster group people let us through.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I love to go out real early ...5:45 to 7:00 am the latest. All of the early guys on the 2 courses I play all play fast ..and we all know it's kinda the rule.

In 15 years I have not played a round of golf after 10:00 am ....It's a completely different sport after 10.00 am

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The courses I play out here in Arizona no longer have ladies tees. They simply have four or five sets of boxes and you play from where you are comfortable. Takes some of the stigma out of guys playing the forward tees and also allows the ladies to play where they want.

Arizona ...oh man. The last round I played there. 116. That was the temperature, not my score.
My score was not far off.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I love to go out real early ...5:45 to 7:00 am the latest. All of the early guys on the 2 courses I play all play fast ..and we all know it's kinda the rule.
In 15 years I have not played a round of golf after 10:00 am ....It's a completely different sport after 10.00 am

Yep. Its the rule everywhere.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona ...oh man. The last round I played there. 116. That was the temperature, not my score.
My score was not far off.

Summer can be rough. But its never 116 at 7:00 anywhere in AZ. The elevation where I live is about 5,000 feet so we never get above 95 any time of year.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summer can be rough. But its never 116 at 7:00 anywhere in AZ. The elevation where I live is about 5,000 feet so we never get above 95 any time of year.

I was there on vacation and made a last minute tee time... i think it was 2 or 3pm when we finished.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there on vacation and made a last minute tee time... i think it was 2 or 3pm when we finished.

Ugh! That's the hottest time of the day. I played once in Tucson at the Ritz Carlton in August. We wanted to play there badly that we took a 2 PM tee time, I'm not sure what the high point for temperature was that day but it was hotter than a fire cracker out there. Even the bob cat laying under a bush on the 4th tee box wasn't gonna move when we walked up because it was too hot. He just watched us with a "don't fuck with me" look.

When we walked out of the bar at 7 PM to head home I noticed the temperature was still 104. Don't let anybody tell ya "Yah, but its a dry heat". Its hot!

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. After reading this thread, I'm going through serious golf withdrawal. I usually play through the winter, at least a couple times a month, even if the temp is in the 40s (we have one decent local course that stays open, weather permitting).

But weather has NOT permitted. We've had snow on the ground almost constantly since New Years, and not more than 6 or seven days above freezing, until today. Haven't played since 12-28-13.

And it's supposed to snow again NEXT week. :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh! That's the hottest time of the day. I played once in Tucson at the Ritz Carlton in August. We wanted to play there badly that we took a 2 PM tee time, I'm not sure what the high point for temperature was that day but it was hotter than a fire cracker out there. Even the bob cat laying under a bush on the 4th tee box wasn't gonna move when we walked up because it was too hot. He just watched us with a "don't fuck with me" look.

When we walked out of the bar at 7 PM to head home I noticed the temperature was still 104. Don't let anybody tell ya "Yah, but its a dry heat". Its hot!

LOL. I've played in Green Valley (south of Tucson) in the summer. 110 there feels better than 90 here.

Ya just take a big, insulated jug of ice water, and have a couple of slugs on each tee box, whether you are thirsty or not, plus more as needed. Save the beer for AFTER the round. And you take a fucking cart...period.

Cool thing is how cheap it is, if you're willing to play on a summer afternoon. I've played 18 with a cart for under 20 bucks. :D

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. After reading this thread, I'm going through serious golf withdrawal. I usually play through the winter, at least a couple times a month, even if the temp is in the 40s (we have one decent local course that stays open, weather permitting).

But weather has NOT permitted. We've had snow on the ground almost constantly since New Years, and not more than 6 or seven days above freezing, until today. Haven't played since 12-28-13.

And it's supposed to snow again NEXT week. :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

Ha ha! I feel your pain. I lived in Europe for a while and suffered through the same thing. We oplay year round out here in the Desert.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. I've played in Green Valley (south of Tucson) in the summer. 110 there feels better than 90 here.

Ya just take a big, insulated jug of ice water, and have a couple of slugs on each tee box, whether you are thirsty or not, plus more as needed. Save the beer for AFTER the round. And you take a fucking cart...period.

Cool thing is how cheap it is, if you're willing to play on a summer afternoon. I've played 18 with a cart for under 20 bucks. :D

I'm very familiar with Green Valley and with some of the courses out there. I live about 60 miles from there. I agree 100% about the hydration and the cart. Most places around here won't let you even go out in the summer without a cart.
If you follow the rules you laid out above its not that bad. And like you said, the price is right in the summer. You can play some of the finest courses in the U.S. for under 50 dollars and some very good ones for less than that.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever play Canoa Hills or San Ignacio?

Played both of them. Rio Rico is another good one out there as is Tubac. Tubac is where they filmed the famous scene from Tin Cup where Kevin Costner reepeatedly hits the ball in the water in front of the 18th green while trying to win the U.S. Open.

What they do on film is amazing because you would never recognize this hole as that one from the movie.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been to Tubac, but never played the course there. Cool town. Lots of artsie stuff, which I don't mind in limited quantities, and a couple of good places to eat.

About the hole...let me guess...no water? Or are there trees in the movie, which are not really there?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been to Tubac, but never played the course there. Cool town. Lots of artsie stuff, which I don't mind in limited quantities, and a couple of good places to eat.

About the hole...let me guess...no water? Or are there trees in the movie, which are not really there?

There is water in front but the green is completely flat and the water has about 20 yards of flat rough between it and the front of the green. There is not a chance a ball could hit the green and spin back in the water like it does in the movie. Its a very innocous looking hole.

But you are right, Tubac is kind of a little cool art colony with people from the 60s. Kind of like Bisbee. I actually met Paul and Linda McCartney one day in Tubac many years ago. They were art shopping. It was pretty cool for me.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next time I see that movie, I'll have to pay particular attention to that scene.

Good talking to you.

Til next time, keep it in the fairway. (As I recall, what passes for "the woods" in AZ can be pretty unpleasant...I never wanted a ball back badly enough to go in after it, out there).

:yo: