• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to dust off the golf swing

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We made the mistake of going out at noon on President's Day and we were behind three groups of 4 just like that. Guys who looked like they'd never picked up a club before. It was excrutiating.

That was YOU???

Reason number 2 why I don't like actually going out on the course. Assholes like you are always playing behind me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing, by ackowledging that you should play it safe, you are often putting negative thoughts in your head and that usually ends up badly, at least for me it does.

I really, really believe in the "positve thoughts" process that Leadbetter talks about. Think "I'm gonna hit a three wood because I want to hit it in the fairway instead of "I'm gonna hit a three wood so I don't hit in the woods".

Spot on TT, that was exactly my thinking...3wood to avoid the trees.

Thinking I was playing smart I was actually thinking negative. That said, the trees started the trouble, but imo not what caused the double...I'm not automatic obviously from 150 yds, but 8 out of 10 times from that lie I'm going to be around the green...I chunked it about 100 yds. Hell my 4th was a great shot I thought to get within 20'.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speak of it...played yesterday...par 36 & 36, and I shot +4 on the front, and +4 on the back 80 on the button...a double on 17th, 348 yd par 4 did serious damage...and I took 3w off the tee because it's a tight driving hole...pushed it right (after turning it over on the previous 3 holes I hit it) punched out of the trees, overswung and chunked an 8i, on in 4 about 20' down hill...burn the edge for a 5.

I knew where I stood on the tee...choked on the 8i badly...nice easy GIR, 2 putt par on 18, but the damage was done.

Nothing on this earth infuriates me more than chunking an iron shot.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man Steeler, so like I said, there's more than one stroke diff between 79 and that darned 80. NOT that 80's a bad score at all.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leaving a short putt dead center a half turn from falling has to my biggest pissed off.

Most frustrating thing in all of golf? Losing a ball in play. FUCK that's a hard one to take and something the pros almost never experience with forecaddys present on all driving holes.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on TT, that was exactly my thinking...3wood to avoid the trees.

Thinking I was playing smart I was actually thinking negative. That said, the trees started the trouble, but imo not what caused the double...I'm not automatic obviously from 150 yds, but 8 out of 10 times from that lie I'm going to be around the green...I chunked it about 100 yds. Hell my 4th was a great shot I thought to get within 20'.

Its a thin line but it works. The trick is getting yourself to believe it I think. Your story reminds me of a match play event I was in. It was the finals and the guy I was playing had me three down after three holes. He was on fire but I gradually got back in it and was one up going into 18 which is a simple par 5. I started thinking about what I had to do not to blow it instead of what I needed to do to win. I hit a tree with my drive about 40 yards down the fairway and 20 yards to the left of the fairway. Worst drive I can ever remember hitting. The story has a happy ending though. We both made 6 and I beat him 1 up.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was YOU???

Reason number 2 why I don't like actually going out on the course. Assholes like you are always playing behind me.

Ha ha. Guys like you are reason #1 why I don't like going out on the course......unless you are behind me, then I couldn't care less. You clowns don't know the first thing about course etiquette.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man Steeler, so like I said, there's more than one stroke diff between 79 and that darned 80. NOT that 80's a bad score at all.

Yeah, kinda like 1 bad play doesn't lose a football game, but you remember the most recent...I was pleased, but when I'm swinging that well (10 gir I think with only one 3 putt) you'd think you get it in under 80.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who in the hell needs to break 40 or 80?

I got this lil' friend in me pocket...called a Handicap Card. Let's my dumbass gamble with the best of em.

Sandbagger!!

LOL...just bustin...for the challenge of it for me...when I 1st started playing my brother-n-law always wanted to bet and he gave me a stroke a hole, then 9, then 6, and finally I was kicking his ass straight up. Just felt better.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these great tips but I have an advantage

The best wood in my bag is my pencil

:suds:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha. Guys like you are reason #1 why I don't like going out on the course......unless you are behind me, then I couldn't care less. You clowns don't know the first thing about course etiquette.

Bwah...

Nothing I love more than giving Baron von Countryclub the raspberry as I refuse to let him play through. That guy in your group last week with the checkered plus-fours, who dropped his monacle into his mimosa when I keyed his golf cart? Classic...

There's nothing worse than getting paired with somebody who is nowhere near your same skill level...it frustrates the hell out of everyone. I once played up in Ticonderoga, a 7AM tee time with a guy who had a cooler full of beer in his cart. I was just learning, might have been my second time out on a course, ever. He was better than me, but he wasn't no single-digit handicapper, I could tell that much. He rushed me all over the course while drinking a beer every other hole, and there was no one behind us. He tried to be gracious and gave me several tips along the way, but he must have felt like I was slowing him down and his frustration was showing. Especially when we came to the ninth; it was a long par five and he really needed to use the clubhouse restroom by then! He left me behind at the ninth tee and just kept on playing. I walked up to the clubhouse and told the pro I had had enough for one day.

But the alternative for a guy like me? Is to play with several other guys who just aren't that good, and inevitably we're going to hold somebody up. I know enough about etiquette; I play from the forward tees, I'm not deliberately slow just to be a dick, and I'll let groups play through.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's about all you can do. Just play ready golf and you can shoot 110 and still move along pretty well.

1) Take only one practice swing
2) Set your bag off the side of the green you exit to the next tee regardless of where your chip/putt is
3) Bring your putter along with your chipping club
4) Don't begin to tell a story while on the tee
5) Watch were your ball goes. SO many players toss a hissy fit while their ball is heading into parts unknown and they never see where it ends up
6) Be constantly aware of when it's your turn

These simple things will speed you up to where you're not holding anyone up significantly. We all started out once so if I'm playing with someone who does most of those things the best they can, I'll always be patient and encouraging. Only an uber douche would do otherwise.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bwah...

Nothing I love more than giving Baron von Countryclub the raspberry as I refuse to let him play through. That guy in your group last week with the checkered plus-fours, who dropped his monacle into his mimosa when I keyed his golf cart? Classic...

There's nothing worse than getting paired with somebody who is nowhere near your same skill level...it frustrates the hell out of everyone. I once played up in Ticonderoga, a 7AM tee time with a guy who had a cooler full of beer in his cart. I was just learning, might have been my second time out on a course, ever. He was better than me, but he wasn't no single-digit handicapper, I could tell that much. He rushed me all over the course while drinking a beer every other hole, and there was no one behind us. He tried to be gracious and gave me several tips along the way, but he must have felt like I was slowing him down and his frustration was showing. Especially when we came to the ninth; it was a long par five and he really needed to use the clubhouse restroom by then! He left me behind at the ninth tee and just kept on playing. I walked up to the clubhouse and told the pro I had had enough for one day.

But the alternative for a guy like me? Is to play with several other guys who just aren't that good, and inevitably we're going to hold somebody up. I know enough about etiquette; I play from the forward tees, I'm not deliberately slow just to be a dick, and I'll let groups play through.

Ha ha! That's pretty funny but I wouldn't even say a word to a chump like you. I'd call the marshal and you'd be removed. Easily taken care of.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to get pissed until one time I was playing with my buddy who's real good. We caught up to this slow group ahead and he whistles real loud, HEY, YOU MIND IF WE PLAY THROUGH?!

If you ask directly and loudly instead of waiting to be invited, it's amazing how many people will oblige. It's astounding how many don't even know that they're supposed to let you through. It's also douchier to refuse after being asked.

It really doesn't take long to let someone through and in the end, everyone's happier.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's about all you can do. Just play ready golf and you can shoot 110 and still move along pretty well.

1) Take only one practice swing
2) Set your bag off the side of the green you exit to the next tee regardless of where your chip/putt is
3) Bring your putter along with your chipping club
4) Don't begin to tell a story while on the tee
5) Watch were your ball goes. SO many players toss a hissy fit while their ball is heading into parts unknown and they never see where it ends up
6) Be constantly aware of when it's your turn

These simple things will speed you up to where you're not holding anyone up significantly. We all started out once so if I'm playing with someone who does most of those things the best they can, I'll always be patient and encouraging. Only an uber douche would do otherwise.

Been guilty of #5 from time to time and am guilty of # 4 all the time.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to get pissed until one time I was playing with my buddy who's real good. We caught up to this slow group ahead and he whistles real loud, HEY, YOU MIND IF WE PLAY THROUGH?!

If you ask directly and loudly instead of waiting to be invited, it's amazing how many people will oblige. It's astounding how many don't even know that they're supposed to let you through. It's also douchier to refuse after being asked.

It really doesn't take long to let someone through and in the end, everyone's happier.

Agreed. I am very aware of what is going on behind me. I hate to hold people up, I just hate it, and I will let quicker folks through all the time if I'm playing with friends who play slowly or if we've caused some sort of delay with lost balls or something.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, but you shoot fucking 75s regularly, we can afford a story from you on occasion!

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, but you shoot fucking 75s regularly, we can afford a story from you on occasion!

Even if you shoot bogey golf or a little higher, and do all the time saving things you mentioned before, you aren't going to hold up anyone; not even the scratch guys.