• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When is the right time to cut bait on a player?

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’re one month in, 1/6th of the way through the season. It is a small sample size to judge a player by some will say, and this argument holds some weight. But now is the time you should be deciding on those slumping players that are cluttering up your roster. I’m not talking about players like Matt Kemp who got off to a slow start probably due to his shoulder surgery. I’m not talking about any player you may have drafted with your first 10 or 12 picks. Those players were drafted there for a reason and deserve a longer leash. I’m talking about your later picks, those speculative risk reward type players, those post hype sleepers, those aging players coming off an injury you hope will return to form, and those late round picks you were hoping would come around.

The list of players I could list here is large, so I’m going to start with some that have been on my teams as well as a few others that I’ve seen people question here and on other boards. I’ll also be breaking this into 2 parts, dealing with the hitters first and the pitchers at a later time. All players are owned in over 50% of leagues, and it boggles my mind as to why. Feel free to agree or disagree below, or add your own player if he was not one of the ones listed here. Lets begin (ownership in parenthesis)

Note: take much of this with a grain of salt if you play in a AL or NL only league, or in any league larger than 12 teams as leagues like this have very little talent left on the waiver wire. In these cases, use your own discretion.

Andrelton Simmons (72% CBS – 42% Yahoo) Here is a good example of a player that is better for baseball than fantasy. He’s an excellent fielder which is the reason Atlanta handed him the job. He also showed the ability to hit for average in the minors giving him a spot in the top of the order. He doesn’t strikeout much, but he doesn’t walk much either so his success is tied to his ability to hit for average. Beyond that he doesn’t do much else. He has the ability to steal 25 to 30 bases annually, but his success rate in the minors indicates he needs to improve here or that green light he gets on the base paths will be replaced with a yellow one taking away his biggest asset. He has zero power and hitting at the top of the lineup (or at the bottom) isn’t going to help him generate many RBI chances. His batting average is currently .225 and that’s not going to cut it hitting on top, which could mean more at bats near the back end of the lineup resulting in less runs.

He was taken near the back end of the draft for many teams, and if he’s still in your lineup or on your team, you might want to start thinking about other options. In 10 team leagues he should not be on your team. In 12 team leagues he should only be on your roster if you play with a MI slot or need an injury fill in, otherwise he’s waiver fodder.

Adam Dunn (67% CBS – 62% Yahoo) For years Dunn has been known for 3 things, his 40 HR power, his incredible strikeout numbers and a batting average that can kill you most weeks in H2H. Some years you got lucky and got the Dunn that hit for a .260 batting average and were happy to have him on your team, and the last time that happened was in 2010. The two years following that were disastrous. His strikeout rate has actually gotten worse the past 2 years (.159 & .204), his OBP which was usually a dependable .375 (give or take) has been closer to .300 (.200 currently) and this year he’s taken a new step backwards as his BB have dropped as well. Adam Dunn has had some bad years but he usually rebounded the following year, but he’s currently on a 3 year tread in the wrong direction and at 33 years old, you have to wonder if there is any correcting the problem.

Dunn qualifies for first base, but the problem with that is there are several dozen players that do as well that should be on your team first. If there is someone in your league (as there is in one of mine) who is a Dunn believer and is willing to take him off your hands for a semi-useful part, move quickly and don’t look back. If you can’t get someone to take him from you, and guys like Chris Carter, Chris Denorfia or Rajai Davis are available (hell even Chris Young is a better option), grab one of them over Dunn.

Victor Martinez (84% CBS – 89% Yahoo) Martinez used to be the gold standard for the catcher position giving solid power numbers with a batting average in the .300 range. A torn ACL took him out of action for 2012, and by doing so took away his catcher eligibility in some leagues. Detroit has said he won’t catch this season so for those in leagues where he does not qualify for catcher his value is cut in half. What the people who drafted him were hoping and the question people have to ask is, how much does the former catcher turned DH have left at age 34 after taking the year off to recover. Currently Martinez is batting .213 with zero HRs. For a catcher that is bad given some of the options out there, but for a DH that’s unacceptable. That .212 is up from .187 thanks in part to a small 5-14 streak over his last 3 games, but he had back to back multi hit games in the middle of April as well with little else in between.

I believe the injury culminated with the time off and his age will make 2013 a bad year for Martinez owners. If you play in a 10 or 12 team league that only uses one catcher and you have another catcher, I don’t see a need to hold onto V-Mart. 2 catcher leagues are a different story, but I might look to trade him if I was in a league like this one. And if you’re in a league where he does not qualify at catcher, cut your losses now. Best case scenario is he gets things figured out and is an asset after the all-star break. If you release him, just keep an eye on how he’s progressing.

Dan Uggla (89% CBS – 70% Yahoo). Dan Uggla is the Adam Dunn of second basemen. Uggla was never known for his batting average, it was all about the 30+ HR power from a second baseman with him. Well his average has been getting worse the past 2 years as it’s gone from .233 to .220 to this years all time low of .174. His walks will fluctuate anywhere between 60 & 90 so there is no predicting his OBP, but his K’s continue to go up with his age (currently 33). He’s at that age where players usually experience a drop off in production (and occasionally fall off a cliff). Last year was the first time he did not reach 30 homers since 2007, he didn’t even get to 20. Maybe it was an off year or maybe it was the start of something bigger.

Now unlike the players above, I would recommend dropping Uggla, a second baseman that can hit 20 bombs and get you 70 plus runs & RBI’s still has some value. What I would recommend is that you trade him (most likely in a package) for an upgrade at second, or if you have another player for second you’re happy with for an upgrade at another position. He will have his weeks where he goes off and you will curse, but for the most part you will be happy to have this hacker off your team.

Ichiro Suzuki (68% CBS – 55% Yahoo) The name Ichiro used to mean a .300 batting average, 40 steals (plus or minus) and a boatload of runs. While he didn’t show it with his average, 2009 was the start of his decline. This was the first year he failed to score 100 and get at least 30 stolen bases. The speed returned in 2010 but the runs did not. Maybe the team surrounding him was the cause of this, but he’s never had a strong cast round him in Seattle. 2011 was his third year of subpar run production (well subpar for Ichiro) and his fell below .300 for the first time in the majors (.272). Things got even worse in 2012 as he was on pace to hit all time lows in runs, stolen bases and batting average. A trade to the Yankees gave Ichiro new life as he batted over .300 with his new team and tallied almost as many stolen bases as he did with Seattle in half the at bats. Enter 2013, Ichiro is now 39 years old, is batting .243 and has 1 stolen base to his name.

At his age it’s hard to imagine a resurgence as far as speed goes. He’s no longer a top of the order guy, shifting between 6th & 7th so runs will be harder to come by even on the Yankees. With a low run total, limited stolen bases and a subpar average, Ichiro isn’t any better (and or worse) than some of the players available on waivers (Drew Stubbs is doing slightly better and owned in only 13% of Yahoo leagues – 22% in CBS). If you are an Ichiro owner, it’s time to stop living in the past. The Ichiro we all knew and loved from years ago isn’t coming back and the only reason he should be on your roster in 10 or 12 team leagues is sentimental value.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My post was to long to fit the final player

Mike Moustakas (76% CBS – 56% yahoo) Moose was a highly touted rookie for Kansas City and was supposed to be one of the major pieces in their youth movement. He didn’t walk much in the minors, but he didn’t strike out much either. He hit for a good batting average at each level and showed the ability to hit 25 to 30 HR’s on a yearly basis. He didn’t impress or embarrass himself upon being called up in 2011 batting .263 with 5 long balls in 338 AB’s. Last season was his first full year and while his average wasn’t what we were hoping for (.242), he did manage to hit 20 home runs and drive home 73 runners hitting mostly out of the 6 hole. His walks were still low but his strikeouts spiked, but that’s par for the course with rookies. This year he’s hitting a paltry .154 with zero home runs and only 1 RBI. Not exactly a step in the right direction. The Royals have given him days off and even moved him down in the order in hopes of getting things going, but will it help and when will things get going.

Right now you can probably get someone like Josh Donaldson, Yuniesky Betancourt or Juan Franciso off waivers if you’re in need of a third baseman, and hopefully you’ve done so already if Moustakas is your third baseman. If you’re in a keeper league you can’t drop him as he is only 24 and there is room to grow. In 10 team non keeper leagues with a shallow bench, you can try and trade him if someone is high on the rookie but otherwise cut bait. The same thing goes for 12 team non keeper leagues if you have a suitable replacement, but if you’re in a 12 team league and your replacement is one of the players I mentioned above or of similar caliber, hold him as long as you can just in case he does break out. Moustakas has potential long term value but in yearly leagues, it’s might be time to look for other options if you haven’t already done so.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice piece Jim. The common thread for all of these guys is name value. Their brand, and in some cases past production gives them more allure than the stats they produce.

Uggla is the one player on this list that I take issue with. He is not a guy I have ever owned for the reasons you mentioned above, but he has done the slow start thing before. He is notoriously streaky. He will have a month at some point over the summer where he hits .300 with 10 HRs. I would not drop Uggla just yet, but the bench seems like a good place for him.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to drop dunn but I do any good hitters on the waiver wire that I want

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think about me picking up Morales and dropping Dunn?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice try Jim, but you're not getting V-Mart from me that easy!! :)

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff, Rev. I'm wondering if V-Mart will have the "Big Rebound" next year. I agree about Simmons, seems like a good ballplayer - just not in fantasy terms.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice piece Jim.
I think Simmons is a nice buy-low option for keeper leagues. Even his most enthusiastic owners (like me) might be starting to wonder if Segura, for example, is a better long term option. At the end of the day I'd go Simmons, but he'd definitely be a little easier to pry from me now, than a month ago.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think about me picking up Morales and dropping Dunn?

I would make that move. Morales should get at least 20 HR's and the rest of his numbers will be better than Dunn.

Nice try Jim, but you're not getting V-Mart from me that easy!! :)

I can honestly say that if Martinez or any of the above players were dropped, I would not pick them up.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice piece Jim.
I think Simmons is a nice buy-low option for keeper leagues. Even his most enthusiastic owners (like me) might be starting to wonder if Segura, for example, is a better long term option. At the end of the day I'd go Simmons, but he'd definitely be a little easier to pry from me now, than a month ago.

I believe Segura is more valuable long term than Simmons. In the off season I had the dilemma of trading for Castro or just drafting Segura as I saw their long term value being equal, but wasn't sure if Segura would live up to it. I made the trade and drafted Segura anyway.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made two moves today.

Dropped Doumit/Dunn and replaced them with Duda and Morales

THoughts?

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ichiro Suzuki (68% CBS – 55% Yahoo) The name Ichiro used to mean a .300 batting average, 40 steals (plus or minus) and a boatload of runs. While he didn’t show it with his average, 2009 was the start of his decline. This was the first year he failed to score 100 and get at least 30 stolen bases. The speed returned in 2010 but the runs did not. Maybe the team surrounding him was the cause of this, but he’s never had a strong cast round him in Seattle. 2011 was his third year of subpar run production (well subpar for Ichiro) and his fell below .300 for the first time in the majors (.272). Things got even worse in 2012 as he was on pace to hit all time lows in runs, stolen bases and batting average. A trade to the Yankees gave Ichiro new life as he batted over .300 with his new team and tallied almost as many stolen bases as he did with Seattle in half the at bats. Enter 2013, Ichiro is now 39 years old, is batting .243 and has 1 stolen base to his name.

At his age it’s hard to imagine a resurgence as far as speed goes. He’s no longer a top of the order guy, shifting between 6th & 7th so runs will be harder to come by even on the Yankees. With a low run total, limited stolen bases and a subpar average, Ichiro isn’t any better (and or worse) than some of the players available on waivers (Drew Stubbs is doing slightly better and owned in only 13% of Yahoo leagues – 22% in CBS). If you are an Ichiro owner, it’s time to stop living in the past. The Ichiro we all knew and loved from years ago isn’t coming back and the only reason he should be on your roster in 10 or 12 team leagues is sentimental value.

About 2 weeks in was good enough for me and I'm new at this shit!
Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello I play in a 12 team h2h dynasty league (28 roster spots)
Would you suggest dropping Simmons or Espinosa for Nick Franklin or another SS/2B who could be up soon? I have Rollins who I am trying to shop around but no luck so far. I am looking for a player to replace him for the upcoming seasons. Thanks and if you want more info on my team I can provide.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hang on to Simmons. (For Franklin, I'd hang on to Espinosa too)
I've decided to blame Simmons' slow start on the wbc. Bogaerts has turned things up of late and Simmons should too. I'm convinced there's a .300 hitter trapped in there, dying to get out.
As far as upcoming SS? There are a ton of great ones, but other than Profar I'm not sure there's a lot of help to be had this year. I'll go through my lists in the next day or two to confirm. But I would dump Simmons for a prospect at this point. (In a situation where you're doomed this year, I could see grabbing a high-end guy, but if you're already down to Franklin as an option, I'd assume they're mostly gone.
Good luck

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hang on to Simmons. (For Franklin, I'd hang on to Espinosa too)
I've decided to blame Simmons' slow start on the wbc. Bogaerts has turned things up of late and Simmons should too. I'm convinced there's a .300 hitter trapped in there, dying to get out.
As far as upcoming SS? There are a ton of great ones, but other than Profar I'm not sure there's a lot of help to be had this year. I'll go through my lists in the next day or two to confirm. But I would dump Simmons for a prospect at this point. (In a situation where you're doomed this year, I could see grabbing a high-end guy, but if you're already down to Franklin as an option, I'd assume they're mostly gone.
Good luck

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Jim, you promised a pitching article of the same type......inquiring minds are a waitin'

:D

I don't know if the guy I'm debating would even meet the criteria you presented in the preface to this article on batters anyways.....

I was big on Jarrod Parker coming into this season, but obviously I didn't do enough homework......I didn't realize he went from 136 innings in '11 coming off Tommy John to about 213 last season minors, majors, and playoffs with the A's.....I've cut the cord on him in a couple leagues, but thinking I need to completely severe my ties.....no keeper leagues, and I don't normally go as big on guys with that big of a single season innings increase......not sure how I didn't realize that before going so big on him on draft day......