• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When is the right time to cut bait on a player?

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why the threshold for having full member benefits is set so high.....I understand you don't want new spammers flooding folks pm box, but I would think as heavily moderated as this site is they would be able to catch any possible spammers like that within 10 to 15 posts......

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It aint easy getting to 50 posts

Hey i started a thread during the first round of the NFL draft over on the fantasy football side..basically talked to myself for three hours, with a few other posts from Wil and TKO thrown in..got to 50 pretty darned quick! In the end, that was abou thte only point the thread served..oh well, wasn't the intended purpose but I'll take it.

BTW, I wouldn't drop either of them for Franklin either. Simmons will eventually be a .280-.300 hitter at the top of what should be a very potent lineup for a few years to come. At minimum thats good help on your BA, should be some decent R's, and one would think his baserunning would improve with experience as well. We can't forget that this dude barely played anything above AA ball, give him a bit of time.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hang on to Simmons. (For Franklin, I'd hang on to Espinosa too)
I've decided to blame Simmons' slow start on the wbc. Bogaerts has turned things up of late and Simmons should too. I'm convinced there's a .300 hitter trapped in there, dying to get out.
As far as upcoming SS? There are a ton of great ones, but other than Profar I'm not sure there's a lot of help to be had this year. I'll go through my lists in the next day or two to confirm. But I would dump Simmons for a prospect at this point. (In a situation where you're doomed this year, I could see grabbing a high-end guy, but if you're already down to Franklin as an option, I'd assume they're mostly gone.
Good luck

The only options I really have been keeping an eye on are Hak Ju Lee, Franklin, Brandon Wood, and Schoop (but I believe hes projected to be a 2b?)
Alen Hanson, Trevor Story, Stephen Drew, Dorssys Paulino, JJ Hardy, Brad Miller, Adalberto Mondesi. Mix of prospects and guys currently in FA pool. Profar and Bogaerts are both taken.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adalberto Mondesi

NOTE : TO ANYONE IN ANY LEAGUE WITH MINORS.

Drop what you are doing and immediately pick this guy up. He is an elite talent. A superstar in the making. Don't miss out!!

I CAN'T PUT INTO WORDS MY LOVE FOR THIS GUY. Don't let your arch-rival grab him.
He is the one prospect in my two dynasty leagues that I will never part with.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOTE : TO ANYONE IN ANY LEAGUE WITH MINORS.

Drop what you are doing and immediately pick this guy up. He is an elite talent. A superstar in the making. Don't miss out!!

I CAN'T PUT INTO WORDS MY LOVE FOR THIS GUY. Don't let your arch-rival grab him.
He is the one prospect in my two dynasty leagues that I will never part with.

Ye we dont have a minors bench. We have 11 hitters, 9 P spots and 8 bench spots. I cant afford to hold him for 2-3 years before he gets the call up or else I would own him already. Prospects I have are Skaggs and Biddle.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello I play in a 12 team h2h dynasty league (28 roster spots)
Would you suggest dropping Simmons or Espinosa for Nick Franklin or another SS/2B who could be up soon? I have Rollins who I am trying to shop around but no luck so far. I am looking for a player to replace him for the upcoming seasons. Thanks and if you want more info on my team I can provide.

I'd hold on Espinosa. Unlike Simmons he has a track record so I'd just write this off as a slow start. He may only be a .250 hitter, but he's a 20/20 .250 hitter.

As for Simmons, you've got Rollins & Espinosa as a backup, and with 11 hitter slots I'm assuming no MI slot. I can see dropping him as I'm not as confident as the others here that the batting average will come this year. I see him taking the Dee Gordon route who was hot when he was called up but flopped the following year. His glove is ready but his bat isn't there yet. He did have a decent week though and he might have some value to someone in your league so I'd explore some trade options first, just because you're down on him doesn't mean everyone else is.

And if you do play with a MI slot, I would hold him as you do have an 8 man bench and with a 28 man roster, the waiver wire is thin. Someone will have a SS go down and you'll have trade bait.

I see Nick Franklin being up in June, and Kolten Wong should/could be right behind him in St. Louis, but I see 2 problems. The first is Dustin Ackley is starting to hit and if that continues I wonder where he's gonna play. He did play 69 games at SS between AA & AAA last season so that is an option if Seattle goes this round the first problem is taken care of. The second is Franklin took a step back when he went from AA to AAA. His batting average dipped to .243, his walks went down & his K's went up. He's tearing the cover off the ball right now in AAA and when he's called up one of two things are gonna happen. He's either going to struggle and be sent back down by the all-star break and get a cup of coffee in September, or he's going to hit for average. If he does hit for average though, he may not score enough runs if he's near the bottom of the lineup, and he doesn't have enough speed and won't hit for enough power to make a difference. He's an elite talent for 2nd base, but for this year he's just as much of a gamble as Simmons.

Kolten Wong on the other hand could be that player you're looking for. His numbers for the 3 years of NCAA ball were terrific, he shot through A ball after he was drafted and did a very good job in AA last season. He's hitting .300 in AAA right now and is the future 2nd baseman for St.Louis, but the Cardinals aren't always quick to promote players and might want to give him more time in AAA. If Matt Carpenter gets hurt or falls off a cliff, I'd jump on Wong, but not before then.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Jim, you promised a pitching article of the same type......inquiring minds are a waitin'

:D

I don't know if the guy I'm debating would even meet the criteria you presented in the preface to this article on batters anyways.....

I was big on Jarrod Parker coming into this season, but obviously I didn't do enough homework......I didn't realize he went from 136 innings in '11 coming off Tommy John to about 213 last season minors, majors, and playoffs with the A's.....I've cut the cord on him in a couple leagues, but thinking I need to completely severe my ties.....no keeper leagues, and I don't normally go as big on guys with that big of a single season innings increase......not sure how I didn't realize that before going so big on him on draft day......

Give me a few days, my damn life gets in the way of fantasy baseball sometimes.

As for Parker, I'm not sure if I'll cover him so I'll say this. He's safe to drop right now in 12 team leagues or smaller (minus AL only leagues). With the way he's pitching nobody is going to rush out and pick him up. It's not like he's an established name and lots of rookies have good first years and then hit a wall. He may turn things around so keep an eye on him, but don't fret over dropping him.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only options I really have been keeping an eye on are Hak Ju Lee, Franklin, Brandon Wood, and Schoop (but I believe hes projected to be a 2b?)
Alen Hanson, Trevor Story, Stephen Drew, Dorssys Paulino, JJ Hardy, Brad Miller, Adalberto Mondesi. Mix of prospects and guys currently in FA pool. Profar and Bogaerts are both taken.

Didn't see this post. I'd drop Simmons for JJ Hardy if you can't get a trade. He's in a slump now but when he does come around he should give you better numbers than Simmons (except HR's instead of steals)

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see this post. I'd drop Simmons for JJ Hardy if you can't get a trade. He's in a slump now but when he does come around he should give you better numbers than Simmons (except HR's instead of steals)

I thought I was the only one left that still felt Hardy is a good option.....I have him in my league that rosters a MI position......I'm confident that Oriole lineup isn't gonna have any problems scoring runs either......

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I was the only one left that still felt Hardy is a good option.....I have him in my league that rosters a MI position......I'm confident that Oriole lineup isn't gonna have any problems scoring runs either......

I wouldn't go that far as to say I think he's a good option, I just think he's a better option than Simmons. He's a fall back option as far as my teams go and I try to make sure I have a SS before it gets to that point. Granted in leagues that use a MI slot his value goes up (even in my eyes).

I don't hate Hardy, I just avoid those hot and cold players....they drive me crazy :crazy:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 3 util spots and I rotate Rosario, Gomez, Buck along with Espinosa, Reddick or Simmons off my bench. Also instead of adding another SS which I have covered with Espinosa would it be wise of me to just use the spot to stream a pitcher because I have Zimmerman coming off the DL soon (hopefully). I like to have only enough hitters to cover my starters if they have a day off. I can only have 12 starts per week from my SP. I have 3 catchers Santana, Rosario, Buck. I have had no luck trading Buck but have been trying to shop Santana and the best offer I have received was Zobrist + Minor for (my) Santana + Rollins.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 3 util spots and I rotate Rosario, Gomez, Buck along with Espinosa, Reddick or Simmons off my bench. Also instead of adding another SS which I have covered with Espinosa would it be wise of me to just use the spot to stream a pitcher because I have Zimmerman coming off the DL soon (hopefully). I like to have only enough hitters to cover my starters if they have a day off. I can only have 12 starts per week from my SP. I have 3 catchers Santana, Rosario, Buck. I have had no luck trading Buck but have been trying to shop Santana and the best offer I have received was Zobrist + Minor for (my) Santana + Rollins.

How big is the league, and you only play one catcher, but have 3 on your roster?

If Zobrist is SS eligible in your league, I think I do that deal.....

You're getting a lateral to possibly slight upgrade at ss and basically swapping Santana for Minor.....obviously not something I would do normally, but if you are only playing 1 catcher you can't roster 3 of them......I would try to trade Buck, but you said you tried that with no luck, so your left with trading them or dropping them......I think you will be dropping Buck in a month so if you are comfortable with Rosario (which I"m big on him) not getting hurt, you can make the move......

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How big is the league, and you only play one catcher, but have 3 on your roster?

If Zobrist is SS eligible in your league, I think I do that deal.....

You're getting a lateral to possibly slight upgrade at ss and basically swapping Santana for Minor.....obviously not something I would do normally, but if you are only playing 1 catcher you can't roster 3 of them......I would try to trade Buck, but you said you tried that with no luck, so your left with trading them or dropping them......I think you will be dropping Buck in a month so if you are comfortable with Rosario (which I"m big on him) not getting hurt, you can make the move......

I do have 3 catchers in my league and only have 1 for C. I use Rosario and Buck in my UTIL spots.
Zobrist has 2b,ss,OF elig in my league.
I don't like giving Santana for Minor either thats y I am very hesitant on this deal. the guys SPers i could possibly ask for are Minor, A Sanchez. he has other SPing but he wont trade them I alrdy asked. I could either ask for another player in the current offer or replace Minor/Sanchez (i dont kno if he would even give Sanchez in this deal) with another batter which I do not need. Also something i prolly should have mentioned alrdy. Our league uses QS not Wins.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on another note. I was told CJ Wilson is available for trade. I feel I could use him sure but how many years is he going to be serviceable and what do I give for him without giving up too much. I offered Espinosa a while back and he turned that down. ;]

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does anyone have 3 catchers Is there not better options out there BTW Buck has already returned to form in last 2 weeks .179 w/2 hrs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 3 catchers because Rosario I picked up off of FA last year because he was too good to pass up and of course I picked up Buck this year because again he was doing to good to pass up and I play in a 12 team dynasty league.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 3 catchers because Rosario I picked up off of FA last year because he was too good to pass up and of course I picked up Buck this year because again he was doing to good to pass up and I play in a 12 team dynasty league.

Well the wheels are slowing coming off Buck, and my guess is he'll be on waivers by the end of May. I really like Rosario but given this is a dynasty league I might hesitate on trading Santana (even though I really like that trade) just for the fact that if Rosario doesn't improve his defense this year, there is a chance Colorado could move him to first. If/when that happens, you'll be happy you kept Santana. If Rosario finished the year with shown improvement at catcher and he looks like he's gonna stick, I'd look to trade Santana next year unless you are offered a good younger player this year.

And if you have any further questions, please post them in a separate thread so they don't get buried or overlooked. We answer everyone here.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hang on to Simmons.
I've decided to blame Simmons' slow start on the wbc. Bogaerts has turned things up of late and Simmons should too. I'm convinced there's a .300 hitter trapped in there, dying to get out

Simmons 3-5, HR, RBI, 3 R

I confess that with 4 leagues, he is the only player I have in each one.
Just wait for it....the breakout is coming.