• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on the Michigan sign stealing allegations?

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting signs for a future opponent from another school that wants you to beat the opponent is 100% acceptable behavior under the current ruleset. Getting those signs yourself during a game is 100% acceptable behavior under the current ruleset. Having someone else get you signs of your future opponents is a "sky is falling" unacceptable scandal the likes of which college sports has never seen before. This is what Stalions was up against. And keep in mind that there is zero evidence linking anyone but Stalions to this rule violation. He got caught on the margins of what is an acceptable way to steal and what isn't. He should absolutely be punished, but lets not lose the forest for the trees. This shit is pervasive in college football.
you don't like the rules. I get it.

I think it's stupid that they don't use helmet communicators, too, but no one ever took this as far as Michigan. I think it's even more stupid that for bowl games other than the CFP this year, teams can use them.

You can blame Stalions and say he was a lone wolf, but someone was funding this, and it wasn't a $55K staffer. The unused tickets for the OSU-PSU game alone would have been 2 grand.

And I will go with what Bo Schembechler said - the guy in charge knew or was too dumb to be receiving millions of dollars to do his job.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you don't like the rules. I get it.

I think it's stupid that they don't use helmet communicators, too, but no one ever took this as far as Michigan. I think it's even more stupid that for bowl games other than the CFP this year, teams can use them.
This is pure speculation. It is damn near impossible to catch someone cheating. Stalions was extremely stupid in how he went about getting those videos.
You can blame Stalions and say he was a lone wolf, but someone was funding this, and it wasn't a $55K staffer. The unused tickets for the OSU-PSU game alone would have been 2 grand.
This is pure speculation, at least at this point. There is no link to anyone other than Stalions. According to one unnamed source that recorded videos, Stalions gave him $100 and tickets to a couple of games for the scheme. If Stalions got game tickets in addition to his salary, then this is still all feasible. Remember, this guy wrote a 500 page manifesto on how he wanted to be the Michigan head coach. If anyone was willing to sacrifice his salary for this leg up on his competition, it would be this guy.
And I will go with what Bo Schembechler said - the guy in charge knew or was too dumb to be receiving millions of dollars to do his job.
Sure, but with social media that statement loses a lot of its shine. Is Harbaugh going to demand all of his staff and players to give him all of their log in information to their various social media accounts and access their DM's? Today's college football has an insane amount of coaching staff compared to Bo's time back in the 70's and 80's, and I think even rostered players have increased (I tried to look it up but couldn't find an answer). Sure Harbaugh can still be punished for this, and probably should, but lets not pretend that any head coach is going to know what his low level analysts are doing with their nation-wide networks on social media.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL!

F-cnsKOWYAA2Jl7

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“Never before have so many brilliant legal minds rose up to defend a vacuum salesman”

Good times.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pure speculation. It is damn near impossible to catch someone cheating. Stalions was extremely stupid in how he went about getting those videos.

This is pure speculation, at least at this point. There is no link to anyone other than Stalions. According to one unnamed source that recorded videos, Stalions gave him $100 and tickets to a couple of games for the scheme. If Stalions got game tickets in addition to his salary, then this is still all feasible. Remember, this guy wrote a 500 page manifesto on how he wanted to be the Michigan head coach. If anyone was willing to sacrifice his salary for this leg up on his competition, it would be this guy.

Sure, but with social media that statement loses a lot of its shine. Is Harbaugh going to demand all of his staff and players to give him all of their log in information to their various social media accounts and access their DM's? Today's college football has an insane amount of coaching staff compared to Bo's time back in the 70's and 80's, and I think even rostered players have increased (I tried to look it up but couldn't find an answer). Sure Harbaugh can still be punished for this, and probably should, but lets not pretend that any head coach is going to know what his low level analysts are doing with their nation-wide networks on social media.
No one has ever been caught cheating like this but Michigan. Is that better?

As for social media, the NCAA does not care. The head coach is responsible for what goes on in the program.
Bo was right (of course, he was an Ohio guy). :)

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has ever been caught cheating like this but Michigan. Is that better?

As for social media, the NCAA does not care. The head coach is responsible for what goes on in the program.
Bo was right (of course, he was an Ohio guy). :)
The head coach can be responsible for everything that happens to their team. Did the Michigan State coach get suspended after the player assaulted Michigan guys? I honestly don't know the answer to that question. And to be accurate, to this date no one has ever been caught cheating like this, even Michigan. The investigation is still ongoing and the only facts we have are that Stalions paid people to record teams' sidelines. We have zero facts to indicate how that benefited Michigan. BUT we do have a lot of opposing teams going on the record stating that they knew Michigan would have their signs and therefore would negate any alleged benefit Michigan would have. Teams steal signs, and opponents know that is happening. This has been the case for ages, evidently. I don't see this "scandal" being the big deal many are making it out to be. We have allegations that people stole Michigan's signs and gave them to their future opponent. That shit is perfectly acceptable behavior all while Michigan should be punished? That is extremely hypocritical.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The head coach can be responsible for everything that happens to their team. Did the Michigan State coach get suspended after the player assaulted Michigan guys? I honestly don't know the answer to that question. And to be accurate, to this date no one has ever been caught cheating like this, even Michigan. The investigation is still ongoing and the only facts we have are that Stalions paid people to record teams' sidelines. We have zero facts to indicate how that benefited Michigan. BUT we do have a lot of opposing teams going on the record stating that they knew Michigan would have their signs and therefore would negate any alleged benefit Michigan would have. Teams steal signs, and opponents know that is happening. This has been the case for ages, evidently. I don't see this "scandal" being the big deal many are making it out to be. We have allegations that people stole Michigan's signs and gave them to their future opponent. That shit is perfectly acceptable behavior all while Michigan should be punished? That is extremely hypocritical.
I don't think it matters if Michigan benefitted, but it's pretty apparent that they did - - -

1699548256545.png

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it matters if Michigan benefitted, but it's pretty apparent that they did - - -

View attachment 345719
that means nothing to me. "Before", they didn't have McCarthy, Corum, and the best o-line in college football. 8 of those 21-1 wins were from shit ass opponents this year and this point differential is still only 5 points better than the "before"? Thus far, Michigan has had literally almost the easiest schedule in all of FBS.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that means nothing to me. "Before", they didn't have McCarthy, Corum, and the best o-line in college football. 8 of those 21-1 wins were from shit ass opponents this year and this point differential is still only 5 points better than the "before"? Thus far, Michigan has had literally almost the easiest schedule in all of FBS.
Aren't you the one always bragging about how your starters don't play in the 4th quarter this year? The spread could be far worse.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't you the one always bragging about how your starters don't play in the 4th quarter this year? The spread could be far worse.
the backups aren't even giving up much

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did Michigan even need to cheat if this is their schedule for the first 9 games?

FPI of opponents: (1 top 50)
East Carolina- 100
UNLV- 75
Bowling Green- 97
Rutgers- 44
Nebraska- 61
Minnesota- 54
Indiana- 79
Michigan State- 78
Purdue- 72

Sagarin: (1 top 50)
ECU- 103
UNLV- 80
Bowling Green- 115
Rutgers- 48
Nebraska- 52
Minnesota- 49
Indiana- 87
Michigan State- 75
Purdue- 74

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was in the Marine Corps, so he wasn't full time on staff until 2021. He was a "volunteer".
going against your avi ere a bit, arent you? He was still there, if anything, he would have been doing it more to try and prove he deserved a job

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going against your avi ere a bit, arent you? He was still there, if anything, he would have been doing it more to try and prove he deserved a job
No, he really didn't have the time (or at least I hope the Marine Corps was keeping him busy).

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly leaked that mich to have harbaugh suspended 3 games.