• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Eric Ebron.........

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That jaw dropping face was funny. Lmao

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not mad at Ebron. I'm pissed at Mayhew for taking a receiving TE that has trouble catching the ball, and shies away from contact. Add to that, he doesn't have any blocking skills or any other skills to fall back on.

And yet we have folks wanting to get rid of Pettigrew, a TE that can catch the ball and can block as well.

I would like to hear from the folks that said offensive tackle would be a wasted pick.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm...I'm very confused as to why the Lions would want to get rid of Pettigrew. The might have the best group of TEs in the league.

Next year will not be that much savings, but in 2016 we would be paying 4.6 million for a blocking TE. That does not seem ideal to me. 5.3 in 2017

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for me it doesnt matter how much production ebron has (or doesnt have). It was a bad pick regardless of the numbers he may or may not put up. Hes not jimmy graham. The end.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe he will get some opportunities in the red zone, but after going to the Lions practice and seeing Calvin Johnson, Ebron and Fauria standing next to each other on the sidelines. I still think Fauria will be get more red zone targets. Fauria looked like a giant standing next to Ebron, so I think him and Calvin will still be the guys who get the most looks in the red zone, as Stafford loves to throw it up to those two guys.

I will say this -- If Ebron gets 10 TDs this year. I will never say another bad word about the Lions FO. I will join forces with the sunshine and rainbows crew.:nod:

No you wont.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not mad at Ebron. I'm pissed at Mayhew for taking a receiving TE that has trouble catching the ball, and shies away from contact. Add to that, he doesn't have any blocking skills or any other skills to fall back on.

And yet we have folks wanting to get rid of Pettigrew, a TE that can catch the ball and can block as well.

I would like to hear from the folks that said offensive tackle would be a wasted pick.

Resigning Pettigrew was my favorite move of the offseason.

Was just wondering if Ebron is the new "mark". I understand your stance on Ebron, (especially considering where he was taken) just seems I may be on the optimistic side with him. Despite not really expecting or demanding any statistical production minimums.

Realistically I don't see him having anywhere near BPs value THIS year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year will not be that much savings, but in 2016 we would be paying 4.6 million for a blocking TE. That does not seem ideal to me. 5.3 in 2017

The whole deal was something like 4 years $16 million, though, so in 2014 and 2015 he's here on the cheap. If he's not worth $5+ million in that last year, then we cut him loose...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Tpaul... in your scenario, JMO, it gives the Lions two years to have Fauria (who I think would become that in-line TE) the needed reps and learning time to develop as that blocking TE. Ebron in this case remains the Flex-TE or the other one in 22 package. There were 2 articles over the off-season on how Fauria was committed to learn proper blocking techniques and it was backed by O-Line coach Washburn that he had progressed a lot. Another words, by the new league year 2017, the Lions could cut ties with Pettigrew for a mere 1 mil in dead money or even in new league year 2016 for 2 mil... a savings a 4.35 mil in 2017 for the 1 mil dead $, or a savings of 2.65 in 2016 for a 2 mil dead $ cost.... Either way, for now, Pettigrew is here unless these other two improve their blocking skills.... JMO

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're gonna be pretty grateful this Sunday to have Pettigrew on the right side helping whoever has to try and play RT...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just another li'l diddy, we've already seen some improvement from Stafford so maybe the new regime can do the same for Pettipoops and his drop issues. Give Petti the opportunity, meaning several games/targets, to prove otherwise. He's been a pretty damn good in-line blocker while in the "D". IMO. and before anyone starts the he sucked in this game or that game at blocking, just remember so has every single Lineman at 1 time or the other.... just like in MNF this week.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a BIG YEP.... to naughty and smitty comments...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that may be just where Ebron's opportunity to shine comes from- If we split Megatron and Fauria out wide inside the 10 yard line to run fades, the defense has to double cover one of those two (TD if they don't), and if Ebron is in the SLOT with that look he's going to have to be single-covered. With his big body he should be an appealing target if/when teams opt to take the fade away.

Pick your poison kind of thing...

In your scenario -- I think putting Golden Tate and his sure hands in the slot would be much more beneficial to the Lions and IMO, in that type of setup, I think Tate would see more red zone looks, because of his route running and his ability to catch anything that hits his hands.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unfortunately that will just add fuel to the fire of the legion of fans who hated the pick...

whether or not he produces this year isn't going to change the opinion of the fans who disliked the pick. they disliked the pick because he is a one dimensional TE, on a team with the best WR in football and after the first game -- we got to see what Tate brings to the offense.

i just feel as if we are going to see megatron, tate and the running backs monopolizing the opportunities on passing downs and all these guys are here for multiple years. that is why I didn't like the pick. did we spend a top 10 pick on a TE to run vertical routes once or twice a game?

anyways -- i hope i'm dead wrong on ebron and he makes me eat my words. only time will tell. i'm just not sure in our offense if he will be given the opportunity he would have had if he went elsewhere, as he will be the #4 option in the passing game the majority of the time. Where as, if he went to say, the NYJ or the Giants -- he could be the #2 or #3 option.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and maaaaybe just maybe, Ebron is the one who catches that pass for a game clinching win and a spot in the play-offs....

The optimist inside of me speaking... mind U

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree now after seeing what we did that he is a luxury pick. Especially with Broyles healthy and Fuller stepping up. We are not hurting for receivers. Even Fauria looks real good. Still kinda slow but good.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whether or not he produces this year isn't going to change the opinion of the fans who disliked the pick. they disliked the pick because he is a one dimensional TE, on a team with the best WR in football and after the first game -- we got to see what Tate brings to the offense.

i just feel as if we are going to see megatron, tate and the running backs monopolizing the opportunities on passing downs and all these guys are here for multiple years. that is why I didn't like the pick. did we spend a top 10 pick on a TE to run vertical routes once or twice a game?

anyways -- i hope i'm dead wrong on ebron and he makes me eat my words. only time will tell. i'm just not sure in our offense if he will be given the opportunity he would have had if he went elsewhere, as he will be the #4 option in the passing game the majority of the time. Where as, if he went to say, the NYJ or the Giants -- he could be the #2 or #3 option.

I don't think we'll see a lot of production out of him this year, but he's someone the defense has to account for every time he's out there. He opens things up for the WRs by drawing his own coverage. He's not a guy you can just single up with a LB and go.

Having the ability to attack the seam or be a possession guy across the middle makes him a tough match-up for a defensive coordinator to have to deal with. Factor in that he's like 4th or 5th in our receiving hierarchy and you can see how tough that becomes for opposing defenses.

I totally see your side of things on this one, though. He certainly wouldn't have been my pick. But he was the pick, and it's permanent- there's no re-do's, so he's got my unconditional support unless and until he proves he doesn't deserve it...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think mostly the biggest thing with Ebron is to stop thinking of him as a TE and start thinking of him as a WR.

I'd be pretty excited about a WR who is 6'4" and 260 lbs and runs a 4.5 forty time. And that's basically what we have in Ebron- a really big WR.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we still think of TEs in the traditional sense, as a guy like Pettigrew who can block and serve as a safety net in the intermediate passing game.

This new breed of "TEs" is really more of an evolution of the slot WR, imo. At some point coaches realized that 6'4"+, 250-270 lb dudes were running 4.5/4.6 forty times and would be impossible for a LB or nickle back to cover one on one (mostly, anyhow), and they said "hey, why don't we replace our 5'10" slot receiver with one of those and see what happens?"