• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Eric Ebron.........

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron getting some Don Kelly love tonight.

When Ebron plays all 11 spots on offense he might. Until then,......

I Called The Pick!

(Wanted Dix. Didn't want Dhigs. Rather have Delmas. What can you do?)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Ebron plays all 11 spots on offense he might.

Exactly -- DKB has the versatility most players can only dream of.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quality of the Lions team and quarterback play was slightly different in Calvin's first couple years. Brandon Pettigrew had over 70 receptions in his 2nd year and over 80 in his 3rd year with Stafford as the QB.

Calvin had a rag-tag group of QB's throwing him the ball and the team was atrocious. God bless him for sticking it out and signing a long term deal here.

I only asked about Ebron, as people were very optimistic about him stepping in as a rookie and making an impact. I just wondered what they felt would be a successful year for him. One poster I think it the nail on the head -- I think he will end up with a couple TD's and 3-400 yards for the year.

CJ also had to compete for looks as a rook. Like Ebron will with two guys at his position with expierience under their belt.

I guess I missed the optimism on Ebron this offseason.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron looks like a pussy. There have been productive receivers who were pussies. I hope Ebron can become one of them.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a wide range of possibilities for this guy. The potential is there athletically, and he could really take advantage of mismatches working in this offense. But he doesn't seem comfortable out there (yet), and catching the ball cleanly is, and has always been, a challenge for him. As Stomp and Thruthefog noted, he doesn't seem to care much for contact, either. Everything from boom to bust is possible.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Fauria was undrafted and caught 7 TD's, so anything less than 49 TD's from 1st rounder Ebron will be a disappointment.

For real though I don't know what to think yet. I still feel like he's good for 10 TD's. I think he's going to get a TON of red zone opportunities. But I think next year is when he really breaks out.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Ebron to show enough that they can waive Pettigrew in the off-season. I am not sure exactly what those numbers are, but I am curious to see how he does against the Panthers, I doubt he goes without a catch though.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Ebron to show enough that they can waive Pettigrew in the off-season. I am not sure exactly what those numbers are, but I am curious to see how he does against the Panthers, I doubt he goes without a catch though.

I'm not sure they will waive Pettigrew though, as he is, by far, the best blocking TE on the team and it isn't even remotely close. Maybe they will try and deal Pettigrew to a team like the Jets, who were really interested in him and find a blocking TE in the offseason.

Ebron and Fauria, IMO, are better pass catching TE's than Pettigrew. Well -- Fauria is right now and Ebron has the potential to be. Blocking is viewed as a weakness for both players though.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimbo Graham didn't record a catch until the 6th game of his rookie season. Just saying

Jimbo Graham wasn't a top 10 pick in the NFL draft on a team in "win now mode". He was drafted in the 3rd or 4th round (not positive which one it is), by the team, I believe, won the Super Bowl the year before.

Obviously expectations for the two players will be slightly different in their rookie years.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Fauria was undrafted and caught 7 TD's, so anything less than 49 TD's from 1st rounder Ebron will be a disappointment.

For real though I don't know what to think yet. I still feel like he's good for 10 TD's. I think he's going to get a TON of red zone opportunities. But I think next year is when he really breaks out.

I do believe he will get some opportunities in the red zone, but after going to the Lions practice and seeing Calvin Johnson, Ebron and Fauria standing next to each other on the sidelines. I still think Fauria will be get more red zone targets. Fauria looked like a giant standing next to Ebron, so I think him and Calvin will still be the guys who get the most looks in the red zone, as Stafford loves to throw it up to those two guys.

I will say this -- If Ebron gets 10 TDs this year. I will never say another bad word about the Lions FO. I will join forces with the sunshine and rainbows crew.:nod:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions have so many options it will be easy to overlook Ebron.

Fauria has made an effort to improve his blocking and he catches the damn ball. If Ebron has more drops Fauria will steal a good amount of Ebron's playing time.

I see the O-Coordinator calling specific plays for him but if he ends up with more than 36 catches this season I will be surprised. Fauria will have the most receptions of Detroit's TE IMO.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't follow this logic... I know Pettigrew isn't the most well-loved around here, but he and Ebron are an apple and an orange as far as this offense is concerned.

We got Pettigrew for a decent four year deal, and his versatility is big in our new scheme. He's certainly not the best, and never lived up to that 1st round billing, but he is very useful still, and his contract reflects his level of play.

I vote keep him, especially given how effective that 3 TE set was on Monday night...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimbo Graham wasn't a top 10 pick in the NFL draft on a team in "win now mode". He was drafted in the 3rd or 4th round (not positive which one it is), by the team, I believe, won the Super Bowl the year before.

Obviously expectations for the two players will be slightly different in their rookie years.

True, but I think that stat still shows that rookie numbers aren't necessarily indicative of future success. He might not (probably won't, in fact) excel this year- unfortunately that will just add fuel to the fire of the legion of fans who hated the pick...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe he will get some opportunities in the red zone, but after going to the Lions practice and seeing Calvin Johnson, Ebron and Fauria standing next to each other on the sidelines. I still think Fauria will be get more red zone targets. Fauria looked like a giant standing next to Ebron, so I think him and Calvin will still be the guys who get the most looks in the red zone, as Stafford loves to throw it up to those two guys.

I will say this -- If Ebron gets 10 TDs this year. I will never say another bad word about the Lions FO. I will join forces with the sunshine and rainbows crew.:nod:

I think that may be just where Ebron's opportunity to shine comes from- If we split Megatron and Fauria out wide inside the 10 yard line to run fades, the defense has to double cover one of those two (TD if they don't), and if Ebron is in the slot with that look he's going to have to be single-covered. With his big body he should be an appealing target if/when teams opt to take the fade away.

Pick your poison kind of thing...

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With such a big body he should be dealing out punishment. Instead, he will end up being called Erica Ebron.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm...I'm very confused as to why the Lions would want to get rid of Pettigrew. The might have the best group of TEs in the league.