• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This game...

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
...is taking forever to get here. I don't know if it's the wait or what but something is making me nervous. We have struggled against physical teams this year. I keep seeing images from last years thanksgiving game where our QB is continually getting smacked.

The Ravens offense can exploit our weakness against the pass. It's going to be a tough hard fought game. Our D-line must create pressure and collapse the pocket around Flacco. I know, sounds cliche, but it is something that must be done against a pocket passer. We have to find ways to get off of the field on third down. The routes that the Ravens run are conducive to the success of Boldin and Pita. Willis and Whitner need to undercut these routes and break up the play. So many times we see both of them behind the receiver and getting there just a split second too late. Flacco has been throwing the ball to a spot and asking his receivers to go get it. The receivers have been making those plays. It's up to the back half of our defense to get to the ball at it's highest point and "knock it down".

Offensively we must control the ball and keep our defense fresh for the second half. I expect the Ravens to come out in the up tempo high paced offense that they have been leaning towards since Caldwell has taken the reigns. This means that we have to convert third down and finish drives.

David Akers makes me nervous. But if we have a shot to try a 50+ yard field goal in the first half I think Harbaugh should go for it. It can only build Akers' confidence. If you don't go for it then you are sending a negative signal for the rest of the game. If he makes it then it can possibly get him out of the funk that he has been in. Miss it, and we are right where we thought we were!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The game is going to come down to how the Raven's handle the Pistol. Neither the Packers or Falcons were able to stop it as we nearly scored at will against both defenses.

Now the Raven's are playing at a much higher level defensively then the Packers and Falcons but the Pistol causes problems in terms of how you defend it not necessarily the talent to defend it.

The only shot I see the Ravens defensively is to basically do what the Falcons did but better. They have to keep Kap from running outside, win their individual battles in the middle, and take their chances against the pass and hope CK is having an off night.

Defensively the way I see it is we're going to be coming off an extra week of rest which makes for 2 bye weeks in a month along with one less game played compared to the Ravens and it doesn't really get any harder then against the Falcons receiving corp at home.

We definitely can't sleep on the Raven's offense especially with the way Flacco has been playing but it doesn't bring the danger that the Falcons and Green Bay offense did.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The game is going to come down to how the Raven's handle the Pistol. Neither the Packers or Falcons were able to stop it as we nearly scored at will against both defenses.

Now the Raven's are playing at a much higher level defensively then the Packers and Falcons but the Pistol causes problems in terms of how you defend it not necessarily the talent to defend it.

The only shot I see the Ravens defensively is to basically do what the Falcons did but better. They have to keep Kap from running outside, win their individual battles in the middle, and take their chances against the pass and hope CK is having an off night.

Defensively the way I see it is we're going to be coming off an extra week of rest which makes for 2 bye weeks in a month along with one less game played compared to the Ravens and it doesn't really get any harder then against the Falcons receiving corp at home.

We definitely can't sleep on the Raven's offense especially with the way Flacco has been playing but it doesn't bring the danger that the Falcons and Green Bay offense did.

yep, it'll start with how they handle our run game, and how we handle theirs? fortunately our run game has the Kap threat outside.

the long, completed pass makes everyone nervous, but i'd think we'll want to force them to throw? cause at this point, you can really mix your blitzes. so in the 2nd half, i'd expect the Smith's to REALLY make their presence felt.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3

Gregg Cossell was on KNBR and made the point that the Ravens attack he read option. Instead of waiting to read and react to the QB/RB threat, against RGIII the Ravens tried to blow the play up. It will be interesting to see the chess match unfold on the field.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...is taking forever to get here. I don't know if it's the wait or what but something is making me nervous. We have struggled against physical teams this year. I keep seeing images from last years thanksgiving game where our QB is continually getting smacked.
The Ravens offense can exploit our weakness against the pass. It's going to be a tough hard fought game. Our D-line must create pressure and collapse the pocket around Flacco. I know, sounds cliche, but it is something that must be done against a pocket passer. We have to find ways to get off of the field on third down. The routes that the Ravens run are conducive to the success of Boldin and Pita. Willis and Whitner need to undercut these routes and break up the play. So many times we see both of them behind the receiver and getting there just a split second too late. Flacco has been throwing the ball to a spot and asking his receivers to go get it. The receivers have been making those plays. It's up to the back half of our defense to get to the ball at it's highest point and "knock it down".

Offensively we must control the ball and keep our defense fresh for the second half. I expect the Ravens to come out in the up tempo high paced offense that they have been leaning towards since Caldwell has taken the reigns. This means that we have to convert third down and finish drives.

David Akers makes me nervous. But if we have a shot to try a 50+ yard field goal in the first half I think Harbaugh should go for it. It can only build Akers' confidence. If you don't go for it then you are sending a negative signal for the rest of the game. If he makes it then it can possibly get him out of the funk that he has been in. Miss it, and we are right where we thought we were!

You think Baltimore's ability to sack Alex Smith = Baltimore's ability to sack Colin Kaepernick?

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
No, Kapernick has shown that he has good pocket presence. He tends to sense that the pressure is coming and gets away from the rush. The issue is that I’m concerned with is the Olines ability to contain Baltimore’s pass rush. Granted last season was last season and with only a couple of days to prepare and then fly across the country it was a loaded deck. But if the oline gives up pressure without Baltimore sending any extra guys it'll force Kapernick to make tight window throws while on the run. With 7 defenders in coverage, Vernon Davis will not be running wide open all alone across the middle of the field. He's shown he can make the tight throws against the Packers and the Falcons. Both of those defenses didn't play to the level that the Ravens have this post season.
This is going to be the biggest schematic test of the Jim Harbaugh era. The niners offense has been very multiple in the playoffs. Keeping defenses guessing and forcing them to commit potential tacklers to the QB on the option led to three touchdowns against the Falcons. Just that half step of hesitation is all LMJ and Gore needed to get through and score. I think all three of those runs went untouched to the right side. Baltimore's m.o. has been to crash down and try to disrupt the “mesh point”, if Kapernick can beat their end to the edge the Ravens strategy will bite them in the ass. If not, Kapernick will have to beat them with his arm.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Baltimore's ability to sack Alex Smith = Baltimore's ability to sack Colin Kaepernick?

If Baltimore can apply pressure to Kap in the same fashion they applied it to Smith - Kap is going down - maybe not nine times - but he will go down.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Boone has been an upgrade over Rachal and Snyder. Everyone else since then has improved. Is Iupati going to go one on on with Ngata?

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The pistol's success (and any other play) will be made by our offensive line. Our line is head and shoulders above Washington, so they should be more able to impose their will on the defense. If they try to blow us up and be agressive rather than reading what Kap is doing, I have to think that is going to open things up elsewhere. A play action short pass off a read option look could be devastating for them if they go heavy blitz to stop our running plays.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boone has been an upgrade over Rachal and Snyder. Everyone else since then has improved. Is Iupati going to go one on on with Ngata?

No question our O'Line has improved - but so has Baltimore's front seven from our first meeting. I definitely worry about Baltimore's capability to apply pressure.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gregg Cossell was on KNBR and made the point that the Ravens attack he read option. Instead of waiting to read and react to the QB/RB threat, against RGIII the Ravens tried to blow the play up. It will be interesting to see the chess match unfold on the field.

this isn't such a bad idea, i'm thinking this means the DE (and somewhat the MLB on that side) attack Gore, and the OLB attack Kap before he gets outside?

if so, they'll blow up some runs and create losses.

BUT, wouldn't this also leaves them vulnerable on short passes? what if Kap fakes the hand-off and pulls up before the OLB gets close? he'd then throw to the spot (short pass) vacated by the OLB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, Kapernick has shown that he has good pocket presence. He tends to sense that the pressure is coming and gets away from the rush. The issue is that I’m concerned with is the Olines ability to contain Baltimore’s pass rush. Granted last season was last season and with only a couple of days to prepare and then fly across the country it was a loaded deck. But if the oline gives up pressure without Baltimore sending any extra guys it'll force Kapernick to make tight window throws while on the run. With 7 defenders in coverage, Vernon Davis will not be running wide open all alone across the middle of the field. He's shown he can make the tight throws against the Packers and the Falcons. Both of those defenses didn't play to the level that the Ravens have this post season.
This is going to be the biggest schematic test of the Jim Harbaugh era. The niners offense has been very multiple in the playoffs. Keeping defenses guessing and forcing them to commit potential tacklers to the QB on the option led to three touchdowns against the Falcons. Just that half step of hesitation is all LMJ and Gore needed to get through and score. I think all three of those runs went untouched to the right side. Baltimore's m.o. has been to crash down and try to disrupt the “mesh point”, if Kapernick can beat their end to the edge the Ravens strategy will bite them in the ass. If not, Kapernick will have to beat them with his arm.

i'm more concerned with their ability to stop our run?

yes, their pass rushing wouldn't be good, but first things first. if we can run well, then we pass less. then there is less pressure to pass farther.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The pistol's success (and any other play) will be made by our offensive line. Our line is head and shoulders above Washington, so they should be more able to impose their will on the defense. If they try to blow us up and be agressive rather than reading what Kap is doing, I have to think that is going to open things up elsewhere. A play action short pass off a read option look could be devastating for them if they go heavy blitz to stop our running plays.

yes!

they'll have some success if they attack the read option, but on the flip side.....we'll break big plays.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
this isn't such a bad idea, i'm thinking this means the DE (and somewhat the MLB on that side) attack Gore, and the OLB attack Kap before he gets outside?

if so, they'll blow up some runs and create losses.

BUT, wouldn't this also leaves them vulnerable on short passes? what if Kap fakes the hand-off and pulls up before the OLB gets close? he'd then throw to the spot (short pass) vacated by the OLB.

That would be the adjustment that Roman would have to make. Look for Crabtree or Delanie to fill the void created by the defense if that is the case.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That would be the adjustment that Roman would have to make. Look for Crabtree or Delanie to fill the void created by the defense if that is the case.

yep.

we won't break big plays every single time, but we'd do it enough times to back them off.

we don't even have to run the read option that much, do we?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baltimore lost that game, and couldn't stop anything. I like our chances much better.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question our O'Line has improved - but so has Baltimore's front seven from our first meeting. I definitely worry about Baltimore's capability to apply pressure.

Both Suggs and Lewis are playing at less than their potential due to injury, Ngata as well.

I'd say it's the opposite of the emboldened.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game..... Is taking to damn long to get here!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Suggs and Lewis are playing at less than their potential due to injury, Ngata as well.

I'd say it's the opposite of the emboldened.

You a funny guy - I'm assuming you're joking Warty, but just in case?? Both Lewis & Ellerbe were sidelined on Thanksgiving and thus far Lewis, perhaps the best play-calling Mike in the league, is playing lights-out this post season. Suggs has been plenty productive and Ngata is spending as much time in the opponent's backfield as he is in a phone-booth...

Yeah, you're joking - you got me - Well done!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

The read option takes no longer to develop then an actual hand off so you don't really "attack" it any differently then you would a run. Which is why all this "just hit the QB" is nonsense since the read has been made before the defender gets there.

That's what makes it tough to defend because the ball is going the opposite of where you attack.

It's not that Falcons we're waiting to read an react it's that they had to and chose to attack the outside and force it inwards and hope the middle can win and beat their blocks and stuff it. They lacked the talent to do so which is what caused them to get gashed.

What further complicates matters is that if you over commit to stopping it Kap is just going to kill you by throwing it over your heads. So it's not like you can bring 8 or 9 and the box all game and stop it the run.