• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The QB situation...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Smith doesn't improve by year 9 or 10? THEN we see what the backup has?

I don't like the timetable there. I feel utterly confident in exclaiming that we've seen what Smith is capable of. He aint getting any better.

and this is why we're starting to see Kap get some reps. granted these are few reps, but still better than none. he can START to show whatever he has for next year, but without the 'starting' pressure to win.

makes sense to start with runs, but as the season goes on he HAS to start throwing.
if he doesn't start to throw, opponents will just play him to run.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing is, our future qb might not be on our roster....

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so just throw him in there and pray?

Pray that he can play within the system and primarily throw high-percentage, underneath routes? If we have to pray that he can do that we should just start looking for another QB now.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Smith doesn't improve by year 9 or 10? THEN we see what the backup has?

I don't like the timetable there. I feel utterly confident in exclaiming that we've seen what Smith is capable of. He aint getting any better.

I feel utterly confident in exclaiming that he is getting better and is better than last year. (Better doesn't mean best or good enough.) We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm looking at more than stats and more than the Vikings and Jets games. It is of course possible that he regresses and he may stagnate, but I feel confident that he won't. I feel the last two games were hiccups, but those were better than his lows last year. I feel he will get more consistent but never will be purely consistent like Manning was in Indianapolis. Even confident people are wrong sometimes.

Where that ends up may be lower than where Kaep ends up, so I'm not exclaiming that he is or will be good enough for what we need. That, to me, is up in the air. If we had a bad defense or special teams, then obviously the level that is good enough is higher. We all want better and Kaep may be it.

I'll wait until next off-season to get a better opinion where Kaep is and where Smith is. Smith can't just be better than an inexperienced Kaep next off-season for me. He has to be better and good enough for our goals and Kaep has to behind enough that we can't go through his growing pains. I think Kaep will be better than that. Since I don't have any say over anything, I can afford to wait. If Harbaugh pulls Smith, I'll support it.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After sitting on the bench for three years, Aaron Rodgers turned out "okay."

Flyinguana has to realized that Kwame Harris is no longer the LT for the 49ers. Its not 2005 anymore. This 49ers TEAM is pretty good, it is a great environment for any young QB to have success.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex really hasn't given a reason of why he should not be the starter as of right now. I'm in total agreement that Kaep could probably produce as well, if not offer something slightly better than Alex, but there's no reason to rock the boat at this stage in the season. If anything the move should have been made prior to the season if they really thought Kaep gave them an advantage. Clearly the coaching staff does not think so.

Unless Alex goes in to some hyper regressive form, he should be the starter for the rest of the year if healthy. The team is behind him. Frank and Vernon have been vocal in their support. The defense is just as stout and the special teams is coming around. Keep running Kaep in there for certain packages, but other than that he should remain the backup QB.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kap received a lot of reps in practice in 2011?

Yes. But not with the starters. He still got lots of reps. You don't become our #2 QB without getting lots of reps for them to see you in action. He got just as many reps as someone like Brian Hoyer, or Jake Locker per se.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex really hasn't given a reason of why he should not be the starter as of right now. I'm in total agreement that Kaep could probably produce as well, if not offer something slightly better than Alex, but there's no reason to rock the boat at this stage in the season. If anything the move should have been made prior to the season if they really thought Kaep gave them an advantage. Clearly the coaching staff does not think so.

Unless Alex goes in to some hyper regressive form, he should be the starter for the rest of the year if healthy. The team is behind him. Frank and Vernon have been vocal in their support. The defense is just as stout and the special teams is coming around. Keep running Kaep in there for certain packages, but other than that he should remain the backup QB.

For the rest of the season, yes. If we win the Super Bowl without hyper regressive form, then yeah, we might keep him. But it won't need to be "hyper" regression if we don't win. He could stay the same, improve but too little, or regress slightly and he's likely gone if we don't win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Smith exits from these next four games sporting the same metrics he had last year, I would consider that a regression and I would want to hand the baton to Kaepernick for a quarter or even a half and start getting his mistakes out of the way in exchange for seeing what he can do with our offense.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Smith exits from these next four games sporting the same metrics he had last year, I would consider that a regression and I would want to hand the baton to Kaepernick for a quarter or even a half and start getting his mistakes out of the way in exchange for seeing what he can do with our offense.

I agree, the bye week would be the perfect time to evaluate more if that should happen. We'd have plenty of 2012 offense to look at (in addition to what we already know about years past). It wouldn't be too early to call, while still giving Smith time to stay fresh (in case Kaep gets injured or Smith responds positively to the pressure), etc. Plus, it would give some time before we played NE and CHI and the division.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, I'm not advocating a decisive change at QB (unless warranted), I am simply advocating for taking the competition from the practice field to the playing field.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After sitting on the bench for three years, Aaron Rodgers turned out "okay."

Flyinguana has to realized that Kwame Harris is no longer the LT for the 49ers. Its not 2005 anymore. This 49ers TEAM is pretty good, it is a great environment for any young QB to have success.

I think Iguana is just having trouble with the notion that there's a chance that Alex won't be the starting QB down the line.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If we were a middle of the road team I would be all in putting Kaepernick out there. I wanted to put Kaepernick out there last season but that was when nobody would've guessed we would go 13-3 and to the NFC Championship game.

I feel we should transform and roll out with CK in 2013 and not this season barring performance issues on Smith's part.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, I'm not advocating a decisive change at QB (unless warranted), I am simply advocating for taking the competition from the practice field to the playing field.

Sorry, I wasn't clear and thanks for clarifying it for everybody, I agree with your proposal because it isn't pulling Smith altogether for stagnation/(effective) regression. Total regression, stupid mistakes - that might warrant a change, but your proposal should Smith not improve is great for us getting more experience to Kaep without pulling out all hypothetical growth that the offense has made with one QB over these eight games.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I wasn't clear and thanks for clarifying it for everybody, I agree with your proposal because it isn't pulling Smith altogether for stagnation/(effective) regression. Total regression, stupid mistakes - that might warrant a change, but your proposal should Smith not improve is great for us getting more experience to Kaep without pulling out all hypothetical growth that the offense has made with one QB over these eight games.

Yeah, exactly - I mean, we didn't load up on WR's in the off-season only to have virtually the same offense we had last year.