• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The QB situation...

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel utterly confident in exclaiming that he is getting better and is better than last year. (Better doesn't mean best or good enough.) We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm looking at more than stats and more than the Vikings and Jets games. It is of course possible that he regresses and he may stagnate, but I feel confident that he won't. I feel the last two games were hiccups, but those were better than his lows last year. I feel he will get more consistent but never will be purely consistent like Manning was in Indianapolis. Even confident people are wrong sometimes.

Where that ends up may be lower than where Kaep ends up, so I'm not exclaiming that he is or will be good enough for what we need. That, to me, is up in the air. If we had a bad defense or special teams, then obviously the level that is good enough is higher. We all want better and Kaep may be it.

I'll wait until next off-season to get a better opinion where Kaep is and where Smith is. Smith can't just be better than an inexperienced Kaep next off-season for me. He has to be better and good enough for our goals and Kaep has to behind enough that we can't go through his growing pains. I think Kaep will be better than that. Since I don't have any say over anything, I can afford to wait. If Harbaugh pulls Smith, I'll support it.

I hear most of what you're saying. But I don't like the emboldened. I don't think Smith is good enough for our goals, nor has he ever been. Our goal is to win the SB. With the best defense in the league, I don't think Smith can deliver.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, exactly - I mean, we didn't load up on WR's in the off-season only to have virtually the same offense we had last year.

We have the same offense because we have the same QB.

We could have Andre and Calvin Johnson lining up next to Larry Fitzgerald, and I still think we'd be lucky to see 200 yards passing a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear most of what you're saying. But I don't like the emboldened. I don't think Smith is good enough for our goals, nor has he ever been. Our goal is to win the SB. With the best defense in the league, I don't think Smith can deliver.

The boldened was talking about keeping him on the roster post 2012. Since we didn't get Manning and apparently Kaep wasn't ready before the off-season, he just needed to be better than an inexperienced Kaepernick to be the starter. But for him to stay the starter next year, with a presumed more ready Kaep, he'd need to be good enough for our goals - not the best QB in the league, but beyond what we have. If you're right and he isn't, he will/should be gone. Our defense lessens what we need on offense so that's why I avoided the 'e' word. We can win a superbowl with less than elite but our window is closing and the best QB we can get is always our choice - if that's Kaep, great!

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The boldened was talking about keeping him on the roster post 2012. Since we didn't get Manning and apparently Kaep wasn't ready before the off-season, he just needed to be better than an inexperienced Kaepernick to be the starter. But for him to stay the starter next year, with a presumed more ready Kaep, he'd need to be good enough for our goals - not the best QB in the league, but beyond what we have. If you're right and he isn't, he will/should be gone. Our defense lessens what we need on offense so that's why I avoided the 'e' word. We can win a superbowl with less than elite but our window is closing and the best QB we can get is always our choice - if that's Kaep, great!

We definitely have less than elite.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait...

... Smith is good at that?

Well, he is in the Top 32 in handing off the ball to Gore, so I don't know what you're talking about. ;)

(None of this was serious - obviously - but I've said similar things on the niners website board where someone would tell me that there are 32 teams and being in the Top 32 means nothing.)

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he is in the Top 32 in handing off the ball to Gore, so I don't know what you're talking about. ;)

(None of this was serious - obviously - but I've said similar things on the niners website board where someone would tell me that there are 32 teams and being in the Top 32 means nothing.)

Word.

Gotta crash. Have a good one.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
c43kw.jpg

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Iguana is just having trouble with the notion that there's a chance that Alex won't be the starting QB down the line.

i want the best option at qb. going with kap based on what we've seen is a major major risk.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the same offense because we have the same QB.

We could have Andre and Calvin Johnson lining up next to Larry Fitzgerald, and I still think we'd be lucky to see 200 yards passing a game.

we'd definately get 199 every game

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pray that he can play within the system and primarily throw high-percentage, underneath routes? If we have to pray that he can do that we should just start looking for another QB now.

we should always be looking for a QB, maybe not an immediate starting QB, but always looking.

again, this is likely why we're seeing a little of Kap now? but he has to show he can pass.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After sitting on the bench for three years, Aaron Rodgers turned out "okay."

Flyinguana has to realized that Kwame Harris is no longer the LT for the 49ers. Its not 2005 anymore. This 49ers TEAM is pretty good, it is a great environment for any young QB to have success.

Exceptional point!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should always be looking for a QB, maybe not an immediate starting QB, but always looking.

again, this is likely why we're seeing a little of Kap now? but he has to show he can pass.

Doesn't he need the opportunity to pass in order to show he can pass?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i want the best option at qb. going with kap based on what we've seen is a major major risk.

No you dont. You want Alex Smith at QB. You wanted Alex Smith over Peyton and you just said you want Alex for another 3-5 years until Kap develops. Who the fuck thinks Kap needs 6 yrs to develop?

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No you dont. You want Alex Smith at QB. You wanted Alex Smith over Peyton and you just said you want Alex for another 3-5 years until Kap develops. Who the fuck thinks Kap needs 6 yrs to develop?

It seems to some you just want anyone but Smith.

Who did you want over Smith from 2009-12 ?

I wanted better QB play as well but the quick fixes looked no better to me, seems like I was right in my skepticism of the others or positive view of Smith however you wanna call it.

Peyton was the 1st good chance at a upgrade.

Kap is no better than a coin-flip chance.

The smart thing is to wait till other areas of the team falter before moving to the unknown QB.

Or Smith could lose the job due to injury or performance.