• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The QB situation...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if smith is playing well there's no point in rushing kap. if harbaugh truly believes kap is 100% rdy to start i'll be fine with it. i don't think harbaugh is the type to simply throw in 'his guy' like most coaches.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But he was a rookie with no mini camp or OTAs. Training Camp I'm sure was a wash since the focus was to get Alex and the starters ready for the season. True he went to meetings but he didn't get many reps in practice.

I believe the development we have seen this year is because of the personal coaching he got this year in OTAs and mini camp

That's the furthest from the truth.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if smith is playing well there's no point in rushing kap. if harbaugh truly believes kap is 100% rdy to start i'll be fine with it. i don't think harbaugh is the type to simply throw in 'his guy' like most coaches.

Look - I'm not arguing for Kap and against Alex. I'm arguing against the unsubstantiated and baseless assumptions that Kap is not ready. Stop trying to change the subject.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look - I'm not arguing for Kap and against Alex. I'm arguing against the unsubstantiated and baseless assumptions that Kap is not ready. Stop trying to change the subject.

and i like to see qb's brought along slowly...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine - but you have absolutely no proof that Kap isn't ready.

how is it possible to have proof? i thought he was raw coming out of college, which puts him on the 3-5 year plan. he looked to be making strides in preseason, so we'll see how he looks next summer.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Kap is ready.

If he was inserted into the starting lineup and told to play slightly on the conservative side, I think he'd do fine. I think he would turn the ball over more than Alex Smith does, but I also think he'd have more big plays than Alex Smith generates.

Alex's job will only come into question when we have a flat outing again in the playoffs, like we did against the Giants. Alex will be judged by how deep he can take us in the playoffs.

Question is, if Kap was named the starter would Alex accept a backup job?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kap is ready.

If he was inserted into the starting lineup and told to play slightly on the conservative side, I think he'd do fine. I think he would turn the ball over more than Alex Smith does, but I also think he'd have more big plays than Alex Smith generates.

Alex's job will only come into question when we have a flat outing again in the playoffs, like we did against the Giants. Alex will be judged by how deep he can take us in the playoffs.

Question is, if Kap was named the starter would Alex accept a backup job?

I hope he wouldn't for his sake, if there is anywhere else he could compete for a job, even if as another placeholder, but I think depending on how it happened, he might. People have said that Alex would be a great backup, especially for us since he knows the offense, so for that reason, yes, I'd want him here.

But I think in order for him to be the QB I want him to be here, he has to have the attitude that he's not accepting a backup position (not that he has a choice). That's why I thought he was so tough to stay here. He could have been a backup somewhere with a stable system and said no. People said greener pastures were better for him, he took what gave him the best chance to start, not to get relief from pressure. If he improves from here and accepts the bench, I will be disappointed in his choice for him (but happy for the team). If he does not improve and accepts, I will be disappointed not in his choice, but in his play.

Having said that, it's not really his choice and he's always been pc with the media. He doesn't seem to be a guy who will speak out. But inside, I hope he's not just disappointed but mad like we've never seen if/when Kaep or someone else takes over. Not, an "oh shucks" type of thing, best for the team (he can say that in public, but he's got to have some pride). He might be best served to stay anyway, as every backup is one hit away from starting - where else would he be able to take over for an injured QB as well as here?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i like to see qb's brought along slowly...

Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Cam Newton
RGIII
Andrew Luck
Andy Dalton
Matt Stafford
Both Mannings
Ben Roethlisberger
Brady
Mike Vick
Vince Young
Mark Sanchez

Flipside:
Kolb
Romo
Matt Flynn
Drew Brees
Phillip Rivers
Matt Schaub
Fitzpatrick
Matt Cassell

Here's the deal. Both sides produce "awesome" and "bust." At about the same rate. Bringing a QB along slowly isn't a bonafide recipe for success, nor is starting a QB first day a bonafide recipe for disaster. It's about a push.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is it possible to have proof? i thought he was raw coming out of college, which puts him on the 3-5 year plan. he looked to be making strides in preseason, so we'll see how he looks next summer.

3-5 years based on what, exactly? Recent history shows us other wise. Cam Newton was raw out of college. Jake Locker was raw out of college. Andy Dalton, from a competition/offense standpoint, was raw coming out of college. Robert Griffin played in an air raid type offense against terrible competition. Ryan Tannehill played in only 20 games as a QB in college.

What makes Kap, who I agree was raw, so much different than these guys?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, this is the perfect situation for Kap to develop as a starter. He won't be asked to do much. He'll have a great running game and a defense to rely on, and a HC and an OC that know how to utilize their QBs to their strengths.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, this is the perfect situation for Kap to develop as a starter. He won't be asked to do much. He'll have a great running game and a defense to rely on, and a HC and an OC that know how to utilize their QBs to their strengths.

Tired of agreeing with this, so I'll just say...

...word.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Cam Newton
RGIII
Andrew Luck
Andy Dalton
Matt Stafford
Both Mannings
Ben Roethlisberger
Brady
Mike Vick
Vince Young
Mark Sanchez

Flipside:
Kolb
Romo
Matt Flynn
Drew Brees
Phillip Rivers
Matt Schaub
Fitzpatrick
Matt Cassell

Here's the deal. Both sides produce "awesome" and "bust." At about the same rate. Bringing a QB along slowly isn't a bonafide recipe for success, nor is starting a QB first day a bonafide recipe for disaster. It's about a push.

we have the luxery of letting him sit and learn. if smith doesn't improve and this is all we're gonna get from smith, that will open the door for kap. maybe not in 2013 but 2014 things could just click for him.

as i said, we're just gonna have to see

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have the luxery of letting him sit and learn. if smith doesn't improve and this is all we're gonna get from smith, that will open the door for kap. maybe not in 2013 but 2014 things could just click for him.

If Smith doesn't improve by year 9 or 10? THEN we see what the backup has?

I don't like the timetable there. I feel utterly confident in exclaiming that we've seen what Smith is capable of. He aint getting any better.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or things could click for him in 2012.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but when did things click for the guy in front of Kaep?

You haven't heard? Kap in incapable of handing the ball off to Gore and throw 6 yard passes. Maybe in 2015 he'll be able to do that.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't heard? Kap in incapable of handing the ball off to Gore and throw 6 yard passes. Maybe in 2015 he'll be able to do that.

Nope! Not gonna happen! It takes 7 years to get good at that shit!