• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The QB situation...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doesn't he need the opportunity to pass in order to show he can pass?

yes and that should come SOON. it makes sense to start him off running, but he should now start to throw. and there should be no "saving him for later" theories. it is way more important to find out what he can do.....now.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes and that should come SOON. it makes sense to start him off running, but he should now start to throw. and there should be no "saving him for later" theories. it is way more important to find out what he can do.....now.

Yeah, obviously his integration has to be strategic, but it shouldn't have a pre-set time-table. I like the idea of evaluating during the bye week.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys think running Kap out there throughout the game screws up the flow of the offense? Obviously it won't if he comes in and runs for 60 yards on 5 carries, but say they trot him out there somewhat randomly for maybe 6 or 7 plays a game and mix it up with 3 or 4 passes... I suppose if he does well it should be fine, but I wonder if it would adversely effect Smith just as far as him being in the flow of the game.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys think running Kap out there throughout the game screws up the flow of the offense? Obviously it won't if he comes in and runs for 60 yards on 5 carries, but say they trot him out there somewhat randomly for maybe 6 or 7 plays a game and mix it up with 3 or 4 passes... I suppose if he does well it should be fine, but I wonder if it would adversely effect Smith just as far as him being in the flow of the game.

No. The random stuff would have zero effect on Smith - Now putting Kap in for a quarter or longer (in the middle of the game) could cause some issues with the rhythm of the game but Smith has never been strong in that department anyway.

Alex is simply not going to risk a turnover by trying to hit a tightly timed narrow window. Most of what Smith throws are to open receivers - It seems as though the game must be on the line before Smith will attempt anything risky.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to some you just want anyone but Smith.

Who did you want over Smith from 2009-12 ?

I wanted better QB play as well but the quick fixes looked no better to me, seems like I was right in my skepticism of the others or positive view of Smith however you wanna call it.

Peyton was the 1st good chance at a upgrade.

Kap is no better than a coin-flip chance.

The smart thing is to wait till other areas of the team falter before moving to the unknown QB.

Or Smith could lose the job due to injury or performance.

Not true. Realistically speaking, I only wanted Peyton Manning and Matt Hasselbeck over Alex Smith.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to some you just want anyone but Smith.

Who did you want over Smith from 2009-12 ?

I wanted better QB play as well but the quick fixes looked no better to me, seems like I was right in my skepticism of the others or positive view of Smith however you wanna call it.

Peyton was the 1st good chance at a upgrade.

Kap is no better than a coin-flip chance.

The smart thing is to wait till other areas of the team falter before moving to the unknown QB.

Or Smith could lose the job due to injury or performance.

Not true. Realistically speaking, I only wanted Peyton Manning and Matt Hasselbeck over Alex Smith.

Clyde certainly isn't enamored with Smith, but I can vouch for him in saying that Hasselbeck and Manning were the only outsiders he's expressed desire to get (beyond unrealistic desires to get Rodgers, Luck, and the like). He has expressed excitement over Kaepernick.

Obviously, this is not my battle. I just think lumping him into the ignorant masses is a bit silly.

Otherwise, I agree that this year is Smith's year and he can show whether he's worth 2013. If he doesn't, as some people think he can't, then Kaep will likely be in (there's always a chance Harbaugh disagrees with us). I'll take whatever Harbaugh decides (taking it means not bitching about it either way).

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you dont. You want Alex Smith at QB. You wanted Alex Smith over Peyton and you just said you want Alex for another 3-5 years until Kap develops. Who the fuck thinks Kap needs 6 yrs to develop?

manning's arm isn't 100%...

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Really? It's more important to find out what he can do now than it is to win games with the formula we established last season?

It's a safe bet that Kaepernick would bring more big play potential to the offense than Smith, but it would be big play potential for us and for the opposing defense when he's on the field.

How many wins are you willing to risk in what could be a Super Bowl season to find out what our backup QB has?

What other positions does this apply to? Should we play James at the expense of Hunter and Gore to see what he can do? How about Jennings?

Should we get start playing Dobbs and Williams at DE to see what we have there?

We are in as much of a "win now" mode as we have been in damn near 15 years. This is not the time to start checking out what the future may hold. We aren't the Chiefs.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You Smith apologists have won this week but Smith's pocket awareness will be test next week by the Giants followed by his 1st true test (barring injury) against the Seattle Seahawks!! :)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a crazy thought, after today's game Alex Smith might be the league leader in Passer Rating.

Matt Ryan was leading last week with 106.1

Oh, nevermind Ryan jumped up to 112.1

Shoot I give up, NFL.com and ESPN.com have like two completely different lists for QB rating, so confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Smith apologists have won this week but Smith's pocket awareness will be test next week by the Giants followed by his 1st true test (barring injury) against the Seattle Seahawks!! :)

Smith didn't even finish the game, QUITTER!

:boink:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously we can not ignore the great performance Alex had in this game. We also can not get too excited about this because it was against a Bills Defense that has struggled. Next week will be a great test to see what he can do.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Smith exits from these next four games sporting the same metrics he had last year, I would consider that a regression and I would want to hand the baton to Kaepernick for a quarter or even a half and start getting his mistakes out of the way in exchange for seeing what he can do with our offense.

Today was a nice start to these next four!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously we can not ignore the great performance Alex had in this game. We also can not get too excited about this because it was against a Bills Defense that has struggled. Next week will be a great test to see what he can do.

To put it lightly. This Bills defense gave up 48 points to Mark Sanchez and the Jets. :suspicious:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put it lightly. This Bills defense gave up 48 points to Mark Sanchez and the Jets. :suspicious:

Yeah, NFL's title for the 49ers/Bill game says it all.

49ers set offensive record in dominant win over bumbling Bills

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how to win your fantasy league...

trade for whatever qb is starting against the bills.